Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sharing Some Experience

edited May 2010 in Meditation
Hi All,

I just wanted to share an idea and see what you all think of it. It has to do with breath awareness meditation.

Recently, while meditating, I had been losing focus of the breath and going into a different sort of meditation. In this meditation I began having great insights and moments of strong bliss. I was not in anyway focusing on my breath. My mind would concentrate on different aspects of my life and concepts of Buddhism and what not, it wasn't really monkey mind, it was more clarity. However, I realized in my life outside of meditation, when the stillness passed I was more anxious and had monkey mind, not able to control my ego at all.

I came to the understanding that for me, Buddhism is about action as well as thought. I came back to focusing on the breath and the feelings outside of meditation have begun to pass. The only thing I see is that I was trying to think myself out of dukkha rather than focusing on the breath and allowing the healing to take place naturally. It's about doing not thinking. Not that one shouldn't contemplate at all but that one must have confidence in the concentration of breath awareness rather than trying to control their suffering.

I don't even know if I'm explaining this right but I thought it was an interesting concept as I know there are a few different types of meditation out there. I've read that it's just whatever works for the individual. Any thoughts??

Yours Truly,

Jon

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Oh and also, I had posted another thread about doubting the concepts of Buddhism while living daily life. I believe the non-stop thinking was what led to this. I don't feel that way anymore. It almost doesn't matter.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Sure. There are other types of meditation besides following the breath and some involve more intellectual analysis. But meditation is not a "make it up as you go along" thing. When you sit down for a meditation session, it's best to carry through with the practice you intended to do at the beginning. But I guess we all know that doesn't always happen. :)
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Sure. There are other types of meditation besides following the breath and some involve more intellectual analysis. But meditation is not a "make it up as you go along" thing. When you sit down for a meditation session, it's best to carry through with the practice you intended to do at the beginning. But I guess we all know that doesn't always happen. :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    jinzang wrote: »

That makes sense.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    jinzang wrote: »

This doesn't make any sense.
  • edited May 2010
    Hahaha... that's beautiful aMatt
  • edited May 2010
    aMatt, profound