Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jesus and Gautama

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited September 2005 in Faith & Religion
One of the real difficulties experienced by Christ-followers when they come into contact with the Dharma is the Christian theology of the 'divinity' of the historical person of Jesus. Having been brought up with a prevailing notion that an ordinary human being can be an incarnation of the Supreme Being (pretty strange as an idea, anyway), the same myth tends to be dumped onto the person of GHautama, the Historical Buddha.

Sogyal Rinpoche has a useful take on this:
[font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]Buddha was a human being, like you or me. He never claimed divinity, he merely knew he had the buddha nature, the seed of enlightenment, and that everyone else did too. The buddha nature is simply the birthright of every sentient being, and I always say: “Our buddha nature is as good as any buddha’s buddha nature.

For those Christians who remain troubled by this, it is useful to consider that there exists a long and venerable Christian tradition of the 'indwelling' Christ, although the Buddhist notion is that buddha nature is our most profound inborn reality.
[/font]

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    When I read this, I thought....

It's hard to keep the religious masses in control when you give them power over their own existance. It also makes it difficult to keep big business of Church going when you can no longer threaten someone with Hell - if they don't do what you want.

I used to think, "You know... I don't want to go to Hell! It sounds like a horrible place. I want to go to Heaven!"

But as I moved away from Christanity - I realized that the notion of salvation was one of greed. "I" didn't want to go to Hell. Was my justification for believing in Christ because I loved "Him" or because I dreaded the outcome of not loving "Him"?
    As I grew older and thought about the people that assured me they were 'saved' - I came to realize that I didn't like these people nor did I agree with them in this life - why the Hell would I want to spend eternity with them?

Now I've accepted that "this" life is what matters. We have no guarantee that anything exists beyond this life. I know some may argue this point - but until scientific fact is provided and just not hypothesis - the fact still stands that until someone leaves and comes back - as themselves - and gives us a report - we don't know what happens.I know... my opinion and we all know what opinions are like...

So... do I want to waste this life groveling and living in fear of something that I don't know even exists - or do I want to make the most of this life?

I'll take the latter.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    That is the deep message that Jesus preached, BF: "I bring you life and more of it!"

All the rest is just social control. The Catholic Church understood that, which is why they opposed the translation of the scriptures and the notion that the Holy Spirit, speaking in the individual's heart, is the only interpreter. You should have seen the faces of a congregation when, instead of a sermon, I gave them ten minutes of silence in which to reflect on the gospel passage that had just been read!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    She's back.... and with one of her interminable quotations...
    "It little matters whether Heaven exists or not; the important thing is to live Life as if it did.

I believe it is in the Tibetan Book of Living & Dying, that a priest is challenged to prove without question, that an afterlife/heaven exists. He readily takes up the challenge with confidence - on one condition.....
    Thet the 'doubting questioner' proves without question that it doesn't...

"So," he continues. "I will continue my life in the service of my Fellow Man, and joyfully meditate, lead a humble life and be Happy.... and if at the end of it all, I'm right, all well and good. If not, I will still have had a good life and brought happiness to others.

"If on the other hand, you are set on leading a life of self-centredness and isolation, and you are right, then I'm glad you led the life you do and more power to your elbow.... But IF you are wrong.... what will your excuse be.....?"

The questions I cannot answer, I simply leave aside, either for others to debate, or just to lie unanswered until such a time as they can be. The important for me is to recognise that historically, these people existed.... either in their traditionla portrayal, or in a different one, again, I cannot know.... but when I read or hear attributed words of Love, Wisdom, Joy and Peace.... it little matters to me who exactly said them, when and why. They are there for me to perceive and to appreciate. The simplicity of application.