Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Progress or lack thereof

edited May 2010 in Meditation
I have meditated every day for 20-30 minutes (sometimes two 20 minute sessions) for 8 days, and I asked my family how I've seemed in this time. They said I've actually seemed more cranky. I've had some back soreness issues relating to my meditation posture (I'm working on that with core exercises, yoga, etc.) which has caused some stress.

I'm frustrated that I don't seem to be making progress. Any suggestions? Oh, and I'm practicing mindfulness meditation, focusing on breathing and usually sounds/smells around me.

Should I dedicate more time to my practice? Should I focus on a different kind of meditation?

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    nervy3314 wrote: »
    I'm frustrated that I don't seem to be making progress. Any suggestions? Oh, and I'm practicing mindfulness meditation, focusing on breathing and usually sounds/smells around me.
    can you explain a bit more about what exactly you are doing?
    this seem like alot of different things jammed in 20 minutes.

8 days is not a long period of time.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    +what do you consider progress to be?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    nervvy3314,

You could try to meditate with your back up against something, it can help in the beginning especially.

What you are experiencing might make more sense after you answer patbb's well targeted question, but remember... peace isn't what we seek from meditation. Meditation is about simply letting the mind settle. Being more peaceful comes later, and can take many weeks of practice to bloom.

If your mindfulness is increasing, the crankiness your family witnesses might be an interpretation of you being more potent... as you are more present in the moment, so could be your radiating energy, even when fluctuating. Does your family seem to have a lot of chaos?

As patbb says, 8 days is not a long period of time. Don't be discouraged!

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited May 2010
    My life is pretty chaotic, to say the last. What I do is I sit in a comfortable chair (now I make sure to have adequate back support!) and just breath. I like to have some kind of sound going on, either the freeway traffic a mile down the road, or the birds outside, or gardeners/barking dogs down the street. I breath, make sure to relax my whole body, and just listen, smell, and breath. I try to focus on what's going on in that exact moment, and whenever I notice my mind starting up again, I bring my focus back to the present.

And I consider progress as being less reactive, less stressed out, and less overwhelmed and confused about my thoughts...is this a healthy definition?
  • edited May 2010
    And I consider progress as being less reactive, less stressed out, and less overwhelmed and confused about my thoughts...is this a healthy definition?

I'm a beginner too! This sounds like a lot to ask for just eight days. I say give it some time. Even the lap band takes time to work ;) (does anybody else see these billboards EVERYWHERE or is it just in CA?)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    My life is pretty chaotic, to say the last. What I do is I sit in a comfortable chair (now I make sure to have adequate back support!) and just breath. I like to have some kind of sound going on, either the freeway traffic a mile down the road, or the birds outside, or gardeners/barking dogs down the street. I breath, make sure to relax my whole body, and just listen, smell, and breath. I try to focus on what's going on in that exact moment, and whenever I notice my mind starting up again, I bring my focus back to the present.

It sounds healthy to me, I guess... it sounds like you're working to get your mind to settle. Thats great! It sounds like a good relationship is building between you and your surroundings.

Maybe, when you begin to experience some chaotic thoughts or experiences out of the chair you could do some breath focus. It might help bring a bit of the settled quality you're finding during meditation while you're out and about.

I find Ajahn Jayasaro's talks on meditation to be quite insightful. He has several youtube videos at that link that describe some simple aspects of meditation you might find useful.

With warmth,

Matt
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    8 days??? Is that all? Try 8 years!

I think you are expecting far too much from this, which is what is making you cranky. Meditation is not a pill that you can swallow and wait for the good times. It takes time and effort.

Nios.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Try reading this article... It is GOOD if you feel unease during meditation.. Gives you a chance to work with the root of the problem.

http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/shenpa3a.php
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I'm new to meditation myself (only three months ago is when I started) but even I don't expect "progress" so quickly. I'm with Nios on this. Give time, MUCH more time, and keep making an effort to be present, to be here and now, in your every day life. It's not easy but it can be done.

I was making the same mistake you made when I just started. I asked my family if they had seen a change in me, and they say they didn't. But I wasn't discouraged because I felt a change inside me, even with only a month of sitting behind me.