Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the backdoor approach

edited May 2010 in Meditation
ken mcleod talks about backdoor instructions from the mountain hermit tradition of tibet:

body like a mountain.
breath like the wind.
mind like the sky.

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Christ I thought this was a family-friendly site...
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »

Wrong deity, that.
  • edited May 2010
    well, those mountain hermits do get lonely.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    body is mountain.
    breath is wind.
    mind is sky.

to say "like" sounds like 'self-view' is still there

:)
  • edited May 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »

This made my day
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The Doors Back Door Man (youtube)

A story from the Blue Annals: Rechungpa requested that Milarepa allow him to go to Central Tibet and Milarepa gave him instructions before leaving. He approached Asu, a Nepalese guru, for instruction and Asu sent him out begging for alms to support him. He went to the kitchen [back] door of a monastery to beg and a monk closed the door on his foot [because he was not a monk]. He sang a song saying, "You, without the hidden precepts of the teacher, seek to attain Buddhahood by rinsing your mouth with water [a Vinaya precept.]" This caused the monk to shed tears, which he blamed on the smoke from the kitchen fire.