Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dreams

NewOneNewOne Explorer
edited May 2010 in Meditation
I've only meditated for about three weeks. But last night I had a very "real" dream. I have never had one like this before. Actually woke up very upset and worried. Is this because of Meditation or just my crazy brain? Or because of Meditation is it bringing up things that I need to deal with?

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Trying to find the direct origins of your dream would be tricky to say the least. Just take a breath, let it go and move on... the dream is over. I am guessing that you are in the process of dealing with it already.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited May 2010
    Hey NewOne,

Many people will recall their dreams more strongly after starting meditation, and mindfulness practice encourages bringing those dreams into lucidity from a new found self realization. Hope it wasn't too bad of a dream! ;D. Simply move on!
  • edited May 2010
    I think you're right, that your meditation is helping to bring up issues to deal with. Learn what you can from it and live in the moment :)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I started having frightening dreams after I started meditating. My teacher advised me to chant the refuge chant after waking up with a bad dream ... worked like a charm!
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    A few weeks go I had my first "Buddhist" dream ever, never had one before. I was at a monestary with monks in orange robes and I wanted to take the precepts, but for some reason I was not allowed. I wanted to take the precepts so it was somewhat disconcerting that I couldn't. What amazed me after I woke was the Buddhist theme, never had anything like before, kinda cool but a dream non the less. On a side note I am going to go take the precepts at Abhayagiri monestary next month, hope they don't turn me down:p
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
  • edited May 2010
    Perhaps a "lucid" dream?

It's quite normal to experience a number of strange mental phenomena when one begins meditation. Although these experiences vary, they are probably just normal responses to engaging the mind in meditation practice.

Perhaps it is comparable with exercise. When a previously untrained person begins a physical exercise program, there are a number of immediate responses of the body, such as soreness, muscle hypertrophy, or changes in metabolism and cardiovascular functions.

It seems that for most people the "odd" phenomena disappear after meditation practice is firmly established.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited May 2010
    Were you aware that you were in a dream ? If so, then it might have been a lucid dream. Or atleast something close to it. Lucid dreaming happens when you realise that you are in a dream. It means you are conscious enough to realise that. One way to go form normal dreams to lucid dreams is to meditate, this expanding you awareness.

From other people's experiences I'd say that lucid dreams are mostly pleasant. Was it a pleasant dream ?