Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Keeping your back straight

DeshyDeshy Veteran
edited June 2010 in Meditation
I am used to meditating while leaning on a wall but during retreats I do not get to lean on anything. Is not leaning on anything more beneficial to the meditation? How do you manage to sit long hours without any support to your back while keeping your back straight at the same time? :eek:

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Just do it for as long as you can manage. You will build more muscle in your back and it will get easier.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I should start practicing it. Else doing retreats will become a nightmare :d

Thanks for the reply Jeffrey
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hey Deshy... The ability to keep your back straight for long periods of time has a lot to do with the strength of the muscles in your back...

This link will send you to a similar thread where I provide some weight training exercises and isometric exercises that may be helpful.

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108321&postcount=21
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I think its a good preventative measure for back problems possibly. I mean it stands to reason it would induce good posture ot have strong muscles and a sitting practice.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Sitting in the proper posture will also help.
  • edited May 2010
    Leaning against a wall or against the back of a chair(if you can not sit on the floor)can actually cause drowsiness.You may well find that if you sit in meditation with your back straight,but not tight,you start to lean forwards.Thats ok,just straighten your back,remembering to do this mindfully.
    With metta
    edited May 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    Sitting in the proper posture will also help.

A strong back helps maintain correct posture, a weak back might not...
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the replies :)
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    A strong back helps maintain correct posture, a weak back might not...

It's a bit of both, which is why I added the note about posture. Everyone seemed to be focusing on muscle! :lol:
    My posture used to be terrible to the point where I used to hunch over. I had to correct my posture, using muscles that I never realised I had, but my posture came first. No matter how good your muscles are, if your sat (or stood) in the wrong posture, you can actually do more damage than good. The pains you get in the back can indicate what is due to posture, and what is due to muscle. Believe it or not, but the pains feel different. Through eperience (and physical therapy) I'm amazed at how many people sit incorrectly without realising, and the smallest of adjustments takes away a hell of a lot of ache.

Nios.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I would love it if I had a teacher who could give me some pointers on when my back is too stiff or in an unnatural position. It's hard to tell on your own and what feels comfortable is not always what should be done, as slouching might feel more comfortable than being upright for certain people (like me).
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    My posture used to be terrible to the point where I used to hunch over. I had to correct my posture, using muscles that I never realised I had, but my posture came first.

Actually I am not having any aches. Well I don't sit long enough for aches to develop :lol:

But I have this tendency to hunch over and get comfortable. Keeping the back straight is very hard. Is it through practice that you get a grip on it or is there a specific posture that feels comfortable from the beginning?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    You should still have some curvature to your spine but not slumped...
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Will check it out Nios... thanks a lot everyone :)
    edited May 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Actually I am not having any aches. Well I don't sit long enough for aches to develop :lol:

But I have this tendency to hunch over and get comfortable. Keeping the back straight is very hard. Is it through practice that you get a grip on it or is there a specific posture that feels comfortable from the beginning?

Completely relate to what you're describing here. I sit for 30 minutes every night and I don't have any pain myself, but I always end up hunched over no matter how straight I start out the session.

My position is constantly changing. I know you're not supposed to move when you meditate, or at least not much, but I can't help to adjust as my body becomes tired and uncomfortable in a certain position.

Sometimes I notice that my back get's straighter and in a better posture towards the END of the session tho. Which is weird.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I struggle a lot with hunching over while meditating if I'm not using a chair (which you're right, using a chair does make me drowsy!). It was really frustrating at first, but lately I've been following this method to avoid any resistance/frustration: First, I notice that I'm no longer sitting up straight. Rather than immediately sit back up straight and keep doing this OVER AND OVER AND OVER, I mindfully take a look at my body, acknowledge that my body is naturally leaning to the front a little bit, and let myself sit in that position for a few moments while listening to my body. Only then after fully accepting my slump can I easily sit back up and remain sitting straight for a good while. If i just hop back up into sitting straight, only a few minutes later, I'll already be slouched again.
  • edited May 2010
    Do you guys use pillows? Or would a rug help. Do you darken the room? Do you burn candles? It makes me sad cause I have never gotten down off my high horse to affectively meditate. You guys are awesome. Just having the perserverence (sp) to get right down and do it ya know. And here I sit with absolutely no excuse for not doing it. But I am I will I promise soon...........see............what I mean.
    edited May 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    I struggle a lot with hunching over while meditating if I'm not using a chair (which you're right, using a chair does make me drowsy!).

For some reason, I am one of those dumb people who have the notion that "real" meditation is done in the lotus, half lotus or burmese positions, not a chair. And I admit that I would be devastated if for some reason I would have to forgo my sitting in the Burmese position, to go for a chair position.

I'm aware it's ridiculous, but that's how my conditioned mind feels right now. I may end up meditating in a chair in the end tho, as my hip seems to be acting up lately. It might be because I'm over-doing it with the stretching exercises tho. My body is so off kilter too and that doesn't help.
    First, I notice that I'm no longer sitting up straight. Rather than immediately sit back up straight and keep doing this OVER AND OVER AND OVER, I mindfully take a look at my body, acknowledge that my body is naturally leaning to the front a little bit, and let myself sit in that position for a few moments while listening to my body.

This is what I do as well. I don't automatically straighten up when I notice the slump. I try to listen to what my body is saying and what it wants to do, and then out of this consciousness of body, comes an adjustment that will bring me to a straighter position, which is easier to mantain, rather than an artificial one. I do this as many times as I need over a session and usually I become more straight-backed near the end of my meditation time, than when I started.
    edited May 2010
    budhabee wrote: »
    Do you guys use pillows? Or would a rug help. Do you darken the room? Do you burn candles?

I sit on two pillows so that my hips are higher than my knees. This is the position I learned from the start and I've experimented with less/more pillows, but two seems to do the trick best.

I don't darken the room, because the kind of meditation I practice requires you to have your eyes half open and to see clearly. And I don't burn candles because it would only distract me from my focus and give me yet another sensory input that I have to process, and this is not what I want.
    It makes me sad cause I have never gotten down off my high horse to affectively meditate.

Sometimes you just have to stop making excuses and just DO IT. Or else if you keep waiting and waiting for the "right time" to come along, you'll never do it, as you'll always find some flaw in the present that allows you to keep telling yourself that it's not the right time to meditate still.

I think that once you start and get into it, once you start practicing often and make it a strong habit, you will love it, as it's a chance to get to know yourself better, see things more clearly, strip down from all your normal mental patterns and a perfect time to just let go and BE.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Do you guys use pillows?

to sleep :lol:
    Or would a rug help.

Well I sit on my bed :eek: Shame on me. I think it's better to get on the floor and use a cushion to sit on
    Do you darken the room? Do you burn candles?

:eek: It's supposed to be a meditation session :lol:
    And here I sit with absolutely no excuse for not doing it. But I am I will I promise soon...........see............what I mean.

Lol, I can relate :tonguec:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    Rather than immediately sit back up straight and keep doing this OVER AND OVER AND OVER, I mindfully take a look at my body, acknowledge that my body is naturally leaning to the front a little bit, and let myself sit in that position for a few moments while listening to my body.

Good point; thanks.

I get it's all about practice :)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I had some Tibetan Lamas in my house one time. I watched a movie with one of them and he would sit cross legged with his back perfectly straight. I think this is a good practice to get used to and build muscles in your back so that is what I would suggest to you: keeping an upright posture during the day and when you sit say on a couch sit in meditation posture.
  • edited May 2010
    If you have access to a gym, it may be a good idea to do some deadlifts every few days for a month. You lift weight while keeping your back completely straight and it does wonders to the lower back. If not, correct posture will strengthen it over time, but doing both will help immensely! http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-technique/
  • --Ben----Ben-- New
    edited May 2010
    Hi Deshy
    I am used to meditating while leaning on a wall but during retreats I do not get to lean on anything. Is not leaning on anything more beneficial to the meditation? How do you manage to sit long hours without any support to your back while keeping your back straight at the same time? :eek:

I have been attending ten-day (and longer) retreats where I sit up to 14 hours aday without back support. I have been doing that for 25 years.
    You get used to it. Everytime you feel yourself slouching - straighten up.
    kind regards

Ben
    edited May 2010
    Don't start heavy if you're doing dead lifts... go light for a while and slowly increase weights... It's easy to hurt your back... I do it all the time... lol...

Also seated row works lower back (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/CBSeatedRow.html) but again, take it slow... even though it does not target the lower back (lower back is a synergistic muscle group) But the upper Back is usually quite strong and can easily outpace the lower back... So just because the upper back can pull it doesn't mean the lower back can even in its diminished capacity as helper muscles...
  • edited May 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    Don't start heavy if you're doing dead lifts... go light for a while and slowly increase weights... It's easy to hurt your back... I do it all the time... lol...

I second this, start even with as little as 5lbs on each side. and add a small amount each workout to get used to the weight / increments
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    --Ben-- wrote: »
    Hi Deshy

I have been attending ten-day (and longer) retreats where I sit up to 14 hours aday without back support. I have been doing that for 25 years.

14 hours a day :eek:

Ben, I'm impressed. Keep it up friend :)
  • --Ben----Ben-- New
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Deshy
    I'm actually attending another 10-day retreat starting tomorrow.
    kind regards

Ben
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi Ben,

Good to see you on this forum too. :)

May your retreat be fruitful for you!

With Metta,

Guy
  • --Ben----Ben-- New
    edited June 2010
    Hey Guy!
    Its great to see some old friends here too!
    NB is a great forum, you've got a good thing going here!
    metta

Ben
  • edited June 2010
    I used to have to lean all the time too, but then I just stopped. I think it was because I was obsessed with keeping a perfectly straight back. Now it's straight, but just more relaxed, and not dependent on a wall!

:D:D
  • edited June 2010
    I sit seiza, which helps keep the back upright without strain. The knees are a different story, of course......
  • edited June 2010

The Dali Lama has said that he make a suptle swaying motion. Not noticible, but as if moving with the energy.

Note to self-- Constriction is another form of resistance of that which is.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the replies everyone :)
  • edited June 2010

exercise... especially push-ups is very helpful for keeping the back straight. it is good for back pains too.