Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jhana Bliss and Ecstacy ...

Does your school subscribe to/work with Jhana? Or does it not discuss it or propose suppressing naturally arising Jhana? Or something else entirely?

Just interested.

Warmly,

Matthew

Comments

• edited May 2010
    There are many "schools of Buddhism so im not sure which ones i am speaking for....

Jhāna (Pāli: झन; Sanskrit: ध्यान dhyāna) is a meditative state of profound stillness and concentration. It is discussed in the Pāli canon (and the parallel agamas) and post-canonical Theravāda Buddhist literature.
    In the early texts, it is taught as a state of collected, full-body awareness in which mind becomes very powerful and still but not frozen, and is thus able to observe and gain insight into the changing flow of experience.<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> Later Theravada literature, in particular the Visuddhimagga, describes it as an abiding in which the mind becomes fully immersed and absorbed in the chosen object of attention,<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[3]</sup> characterized by non-dual consciousness.<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4]</sup>
    The Buddha himself entered jhāna, as described in the early texts, during his own quest for enlightenment, and is constantly seen in the suttas encouraging his disciples to develop jhāna as a way of achieving awakening and liberation.<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[5]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference">[6]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7]</sup>

If bliss and/or ecstasy arise while in meditation ( that is usually where jhana is experienced ), i would say do not become focused on it, let come and go naturally.

<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference"></sup>
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Does your school subscribe to/work with Jhana? Or does it not discuss it or propose suppressing naturally arising Jhana? Or something else entirely?
    Bizzare questions. It is as though "jhana" (like faith) is not a real thing but instead some subjective experience.

"Suppressing naturally arising jhana." This makes jhana sound like a fleeting mental object that can be suppressed.

Often practitiones simply experience some out of control momentary rapture and then think they have experienced jhana.

I recall the last thread of a INTERNET JHANA MASTER who could not sleep at night, believing he had experienced jhana. A mind out of control with infatuation & craving for some cartharthis bliss it cannot sleep at night. This is not jhana.

Real jhana is born of abandonment, of letting go.

Jhana has not been experienced here. That is obvious. The proposed questions of discussion make that very clear.

Possibly the questions can be rephrased, such as:

"Does your school subscribe to/work with discursive states of mind? Or does it not discuss it or propose suppressing naturally arising states of ignorant bliss? Or something else entirely? Does your school subscribe to/work with abandoning becoming in relation to states of mind?"

Yes. "My school" regards jhana as something completely different.

It regards it as the real thing rather than an imagined state one identifies with due to reading the word 'jhana' in a book.

My school regards it as an object not worth grasping at.

My school does not regard it as "ecstasy" but, instead, as impermanent, unsatisfactory & void phenomena.

:om:

My school:
    "Furthermore, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, Sariputta entered & remained in the second jhana: rapture & pleasure born of composure, unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation — internal assurance. Whatever qualities there are in the second jhana — internal assurance, rapture, pleasure, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. Known to him they arose, known to him they remained, known to him they subsided. He discerned, 'So this is how these qualities, not having been, come into play. Having been, they vanish.' He remained unattracted & unrepelled with regard to those qualities, independent, detached, released, dissociated, with an awareness rid of barriers. He discerned that 'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

Anupada Sutta
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Take it easy, DD....

I know The IB quite well (we've corresponded regularly) and I can tell you, you're leaping off the wrong foot, and jumping to conclusions, here....

While I understand your suspicion, I can tell you it's without foundation.....
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Here is a serious question for you DD. Before Buddhism I was practicing Advaita Vedanta, with a teacher. Our practice involved one-pointed concentration and that was basically it. It was a process of forgetting this-and-that by degree until there was "nothing". This according to the teacher was "Self". I recall a sense of timeless completeness and bliss, and after always wanting to "get back there". It was an escape and it didn't teach me a damn thing.

When I came to Buddhism nothing like this was taught to me by either Theravadin or Zen teachers.

What is the difference between this Vedanta practice and Jhana in Buddhism?
  • edited May 2010

Just interested.

Warmly,

Matthew

Some buddhist schools work with jhana, it is a type of experience that arises during meditation. What do you mean by "suppress"?
    edited May 2010
    federica wrote: »
    While I understand your suspicion, I can tell you it's without foundation.....
    What suspicion? I am calling it as it is. Further, I am not a policeman.

More 'jhana talk' about mere trifling momentary experiences of a little happiness in meditation.

:)
    edited May 2010
    What suspicion? I am calling it as it is. Further, I am not a policeman.

More 'jhana talk' about mere trifling momentary experiences of a little happiness in meditation.

There are many people practicing different kinds of absorptions in different environments with different teachers. Maybe absorptions are not so rare and specialized? Maybe some are junk, maybe not? It seems like you have had experience in this and could educate people on the matter, or at least educate on the inappropriatness of discussing it.. Why don't you?
    edited May 2010
    I do not regard it as inappropriate at all.

It is just that real jhana is so selfless that discussing selflessness seems more appropriate than discussing the ecstacy.

Also, for me, being able to 'supress' jhana makes no sense at all.

Jhana is an exalted state, an expansive state.

• Bizzare questions. It is as though "jhana" (like faith) is not a real thing but instead some subjective experience.

Not bizarre, but literal questions. And I know Jhana is real.

Some schools and teachers though do tell their students to suppress any naturally arising Jhana. Some do not discuss it all at.

And of course Jhana is transitional and fleeting. People who get stuck chasing Jhana are like hungry ghosts, very lost. Might as well be Heroin addicts.

However, Jhana is also a foundation for clear insight to arise as a fruit of practice. So to say:

Is missing the point.

Questions asked out of interest. Ulterior motives: none.

Matthew
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Suppressing as a practice does not seem helpful. Jhana or otherwise. Accept, see the transience, let go and move back to stillness.

You could also use it to build a bridge that lets love and awareness flow to people who are sour.

With warmth,

Matt
    edited May 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Suppressing as a practice does not seem helpful. Jhana or otherwise.
    Matt

What is the 'jhana' you are referring to?

If I suggested to suppress a moving elephant, is that possible?

Someone who mistakes a mouse for an elephant could possibly answer "yes".

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I think that some traditions teach that not all of the jhanas are useful for cultivating wisdom/insight. So you don't really supress it but at the same time they aren't all viewed as useful. Nonetheless at the beginning teachings on meditation I have received we don't try to get in any particular state of mind we just let go of whatever we are currently experiencing. Let it be.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Matt

What is the 'jhana' you are referring to?

If I suggested to suppress a moving elephant, is that possible?

Someone who mistakes a mouse for an elephant could possibly answer "yes".

Jhana is not an elephant. Are you saying jhana is a mammal with a trunk?

:confused:
  • Anyone who has been to India has seen suppressed elephants ...
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Some Burmese traditions warn against Jhana, as something very dangerous. Of course it is much less dangerous than attachment at the level of the five cords of sense desire. Jhana can be the very last thing we must let go of.
  • edited May 2010
    There is a difference between hankering after jhana and jhana occurs as a matter of course.
    edited May 2010
    Jhana is simply a mental manisfestion occuring due to non-hankering or non-attachment.

The one-pointed quality of jhana can be compared to the whirlpool that occurs when the plug is pulled from the bath tub.

The one-pointedness occurs from pulling the plug. The pulling of the plug causes the water to empty from the bath.

When the bath tub is nearly empty, the whirlpool starts or becomes visible.

Jhana is the same. When the mental formations in the body are completely emptied or tranquilised, the 'whirlpool' of one-pointedness occurs within the mind.

However, this only happens due to pulling the plug.

There is only one practise, namely, pulling the plug.

Once this is done, the water drains by itself, following the flow, stream or pull of nature.

2rmazb9.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for that DD.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Jhana is simply a mental manisfestion occuring due to non-hankering or non-attachment.

However, this only happens due to pulling the plug.

There is only one practise, namely, pulling the plug.

Ditto. Not speaking of any personal experience but from what I have read about Jhana, specifically from AB's book, Jhana states are in fact states of letting go. And they are not under your control. If they are under your control they are not states of letting go. All you do is let go aka pull the plug. Then your mind automatically gets absorbed into jhanas and once you are inside a jhana experience you cannot determine when you will get out of it. The doer portion of the mind is completely gone.
    edited May 2010
    The first jhana has five factors. (a) Directed thought (vitakka): Think of the breath until you can keep it in mind without getting distracted. (b) Singleness of preoccupation (ekaggatarammana): Keep the mind with the breath. Don't let it stray after other concepts or preoccupations. Watch over your thoughts so that they deal only with the breath to the point where the breath becomes comfortable. (The mind becomes one, at rest with the breath.) (c) Evaluation (vicara): Gain a sense of how to let this comfortable breath sensation spread and connect with the other breath sensations in the body. Let these breath sensations spread until they're interconnected all over the body. Once the body has been soothed by the breath, feelings of pain will grow calm. The body will be filled with good breath energy. (The mind is focused exclusively on issues connected with the breath.)

These three qualities must be brought together to bear on the same stream of breathing for the first jhana to arise. This stream of breathing can then take you all the way to the fourth jhana.

Directed thought, singleness of preoccupation, and evaluation act as the causes. When the causes are fully ripe, results will appear — (d) rapture (piti), a compelling sense of fullness and refreshment for body and mind, going straight to the heart, independent of all else; (e) pleasure (sukha), physical ease arising from the body's being still and unperturbed (kaya-passaddhi); mental contentment arising from the mind's being at ease on its own, undistracted, unperturbed, serene, and exultant (citta-passaddhi).

Rapture and pleasure are the results. The factors of the first jhana thus come down simply to two sorts: causes and results.

As rapture and pleasure grow stronger, the breath becomes more subtle. The longer you stay focused and absorbed, the more powerful the results become. This enables you to set directed thought and evaluation (the preliminary ground-clearing) aside, and — relying completely on a single factor, singleness of preoccupation — you enter the second jhana (magga-citta, phala-citta). http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/inmind.html#method2
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Actually the Jhana states described by AB are deeper levels than "sustained attention on the breath". He only describes four jhanas which are states of the mind after the nimitta experience (rapture & Bliss also known as priti & sukkha). But I have seen that being able to keep your attention on the breath for sometime is also considered as a jhana level by some.
    A jhana will last a long time. It does not deserve to be called jhana if it lasts only a few minutes.The higher jhanas usually persist for many hours.

Once inside, there is no choice. One will emerge from the jhana only when the mind is ready to come out, when the accumulated “fuel” of relinquishment is all used up. Each jhana is such a still and satisfying state of consciousness that its very nature is to persist for a very long time.

Another feature of jhana is that it occurs only after the nimitta is discerned,as described above. Furthermore, one should know that during any jhana it is impossible to experience the body (e.g., physical pain), hear a sound from outside, or produce any thought—not even a “good” thought. There is just a clear singleness of perception, an experience of
    nondual bliss that continues unchanging for a very long time. This is not a trance but a state of heightened awareness. I say this so that you may know for yourself whether what you take to be a jhana is real or imaginary.

I will give particular attention to the jhana in chapters 9 through 11.
    - Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond
    edited May 2010
    they both discuss nimitta...
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    My quote gives details as to how AB recognizes a jhana as "a state where the meditator has no control of the absorptions". In fact after the Nimitta experience there is no control. If you let go, the mind will automatically get into deeper jhana levels. The key is letting go.

AB does not call the initial meditative concentration a jhana. He just names it as "sustained attention on the breath". Jhanas come only after the mind has gone upto the level of Nimitta which is a deeper absorption level
    edited May 2010
    Can you read about that in the suttas?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Letting go:
    [14] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on dispassion [literally, fading].' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on dispassion.' [15] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on cessation.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on cessation.' [16] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on relinquishment.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on relinquishment.'

-MN 118

I haven't come across the kind of detail in the book in the suttas really. It's 200+ paged book only on meditation ;)
    edited May 2010
    If whole areas of your awareness are blocked off, how can you gain all-around insight? And as I've noticed in years since, people adept at blotting out large areas of awareness through powerful one-pointedness also tend to be psychologically adept at dissociation and denial. This is why Ajaan Fuang, following Ajaan Lee, taught a form of breath meditation that aimed at an all-around awareness of the breath energy throughout the body, playing with it to gain a sense of ease, and then calming it so that it wouldn't interfere with a clear vision of the subtle movements of the mind. This all-around awareness helped to eliminate the blind spots where ignorance likes to lurk.

An ideal state of concentration for giving rise to insight is one that you can analyze in terms of stress and the absence of stress even while you're in it. Once your mind was firmly established in a state of concentration, Ajaan Fuang would recommend "lifting" it from its object, but not so far that the concentration was destroyed. From that perspective, you could evaluate what levels of stress were still present in the concentration and let them go. In the initial stages, this usually involved evaluating how you were relating to the breath, and detecting more subtle levels of breath energy in the body that would provide a basis for deeper levels of stillness. Once the breath was perfectly still, and the sense of the body started dissolving into a formless mist, this process would involve detecting the perceptions of "space," "knowing," "oneness," etc., that would appear in place of the body and could be peeled away like the layers of an onion in the mind. In either case, the basic pattern was the same: detecting the level of perception or mental fabrication that was causing the unnecessary stress, and dropping it for a more subtle level of perception or fabrication until there was nothing left to drop.

This was why, as long as your awareness was still and alert all-around, it didn't matter whether you were in the first or the fourteenth jhana, for the way you treated your state of concentration was always the same. By directing your attention to issues of stress and its absence, he was pointing you to terms by which to evaluate your state of mind for yourself, without having to ask any outside authority. And, as it turns out, the terms you can evaluate for yourself — stress, its cause, its cessation, and the path to its cessation — are the issues that define the four noble truths: the right view that the Buddha says can lead to total liberation. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/jhananumbers.html
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I will read this 2mor :D

Btw, is this a sutta?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    If whole areas of your awareness are blocked off, how can you gain all-around insight?

Vipassana and insight happens when in the immediate neighborhood of Jhana not while in the jhana. I suggest you read the book because all I'm doing is just quoting it to you
    edited May 2010
    non-dual absorption in counterpart sign comes with the commentaries, which aren't in line w/suttas definitions nor necessarily helpful.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    mettafou wrote: »
    non-dual absorption in counterpart sign comes with the commentaries, which aren't in line w/suttas definitions nor necessarily helpful.

OK I'm glad you brought this up. This is a question I have always had. I have always wondered if AB is talking about a more absorption kind of meditation in his book. In fact Bhikku Buddhadasa doesn't talk about absorptions at all in "mindfulness with breathing" nor is it mentioned in the suttas.

However, most Thai forest monks (Ajhan Char included) talk about the non-dual absorption. They develop the meditation beyond the Nimitta experience. I don't understand how insight/wisdom arises just like that, without higher jhanas. Maybe you can explain this to me please?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Bhikku Buddhadasa says that higher jhanas are favorable but not necessary. If I am not mistaken, he only talks up to the Nimitta not beyond. AB mostly talks about experiences beyond the Nimitta and how vipassana happens when you arise from higher jhana states. This is confusing and the limited detail in the suttas are not very informative either. :confused:
    edited May 2010
    "So just now, friends, didn't you make that declaration without having attained any of these Dhammas?"

"We're released through discernment, friend Susima."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.070.than.html
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    :-/
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    mettafou wrote: »

OK let's see if this will answer my question :)

Many thanks
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    "Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you dwell touching with your body the peaceful emancipations, the formless states beyond form [the formless jhanas]?"

"No, friend."

Does this statement talk about higher jhana absorptions? I am not too sure. That is the only place the sutta talks about jhana states explicitly.

The rest is about how enlightenment is not achieving knowledge of past lives, rebirth, gods, realms and those psychic powers but gaining insight into inpermanence, suffering and not-self in all phenomina.

I am not really convinced that the quoted message says that jhana states are not necessary for enlightenment.
    [The Blessed One said:] "First, Susima, there is the knowledge of the regularity of the Dhamma [dependent co-arising], after which there is the knowledge of Unbinding."

Can we achieve this knowledge without jhana? I don't think so. We all understand not-self still we have attachment to the self view. Clearly, mere understanding is not enough for release.
  • Deshy wrote: »
    Bhikku Buddhadasa says that higher jhanas are favorable but not necessary. If I am not mistaken, he only talks up to the Nimitta not beyond. AB mostly talks about experiences beyond the Nimitta and how vipassana happens when you arise from higher jhana states. This is confusing and the limited detail in the suttas are not very informative either. :confused:

Deshy,

Vipassana is a fruit of practice and not, as commonly misunderstood, a form of meditation.

This may be where your confusion arises?

Warmly,

Matthew
    edited May 2010
    Translator's note: This discourse is sometimes cited as proof that a meditator can attain Awakening (final gnosis) without having practiced the jhanas, but a close reading shows that it does not support this assertion at all. The new arahants mentioned here do not deny that they have attained any of the four "form" jhanas that make up the definition of right concentration. Instead, they simply deny that they have acquired any psychic powers or that they remain in physical contact with the higher levels of concentration, "the formless states beyond forms." In this, their definition of "discernment-release" is no different from that given in AN 9.44 (compare this with the definitions for "bodily witness" and "released in both ways" given in AN 9.43 and AN 9.45). Taken in the context of the Buddha's many other teachings on right concentration, there's every reason to believe that the new arahants mentioned in this discourse had reached at least the first jhana before attaining Awakening.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Anyone who has been to India has seen suppressed elephants ...
    Lol! Good one!
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Vipassana is a fruit of practice
    Same word with two common meaning?

what is Vipassana as a fruit of practice?
    edited May 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    Same word with two common meaning?

what is Vipassana as a fruit of practice?
    Clear seeing is a fruit of practice.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Do we "practice" vipassana? Or does insight just arises when the mind is calm and at samadhi?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It's an open question for everyone btw :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Sheesh... Another link :crazy:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I think we do not "practice" vipassana. Insight happens when the mind is still. There will be no insight without samadhi
    edited May 2010
    there is no samadhi without insight...
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    :eek: Would you elaborate please? You mean we need to have some insight to sit down and shut up?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    I think we do not "practice" vipassana.
    I think it is fine to say I practice insight meditation and sometime i experience insights while practicing insight meditation... :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    mettafou, are you saying jhana is not required for enlightenment?
    edited May 2010
    Would you elaborate please? You mean we need to have some insight to sit down and shut up?
    http://abhayagiri.ehclients.com/pdf/books/AjahnMahaBoowaWisdom.pdf