Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

maybe first visit to local Zen center

edited May 2010 in Meditation
Is a three hour long sitting described as "Chanting service, zazen, teisho or dokusan" a bad choice for a first meditation sitting? This is the one that works best with my schedule. No idea what I might be getting into here.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited May 2010
    ask someone kindly there, where to start..

they will guide you into place like a wise practiced hooker..
    enjoy it! tip well.
  • edited May 2010
    From my experience there will most likely be several periods of sitting and walking meditation. Chanting is very common especially if it is korean zen. There could be some bowing or prostrations performed.
  • edited May 2010
    "There could be some bowing or prostrations performed"

i told you
  • edited May 2010
    Hi One

The center I go to has a similar session, but it's an hour less. We open with chanting, followed by cycles of sitting and walking meditations. We have a dokusan as well, which is really helpful. I don't find it to be too much. Maybe ask if they have any short sessions, or sit and watch your boredom, tiredness, laziness, etc and use that as your meditation object.
  • edited May 2010
    Awesome! I was sorta thinking about visiting the zen center by me (I believe it is Korean) today, since my fiancee will be gone AGAIN on a business trip. I've been feeling kind of lonely since our friends are always too busy and it seems like I'm always just sitting at home on the internet.

Tonight the zen center has a beginner's session! I'm looking forward to it!
  • edited May 2010
    Three hours ... seems a tad long for first foray.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    First sitting meditation? One thing to be mindful of is swooning at the zenniness of it all, the meaning of it all. This can be a real veil over the basic point which is to sit, walk, eat, in the heart of excruciating boredom, until something inside keels over and you are not bored anymore.