Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Help with meditation

edited May 2010 in Meditation
Recently I have been very lost in life and have been searching out answers. I was raised Catholic, but I have never related with that religion at all. I started reading about Buddhism and it really seemed to make sense to me and made me feel something I haven't felt in a long time (if ever).

However, I have never meditated before and don't really understand what to do and how it works. My mind is constantly racing and the idea of calmness and serenity is very attractive to me. The thing is I don't know how meditation works. Do I need to focus on a mantra? How long do I do it per day? What advantages does meditation give?

I've read a lot of contradicting things online about meditation and would like some input from you guys on what you do and where I should start. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm sorry I didnt see the meditation section. Could an admin please move this there.

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The sutta in which the Buddha provided instruction for meditation (anapanasati meditation) can be found here. When you seem to find a lot of contradictions in teachings, it's best to go back to the closest thing we have to the words of the Buddha and confirm things for yourself.

Having said that, I would suggest this video over any others: http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-3529760254352711693#

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html is also an excellent source.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    If available in your area, I would seek out a Buddhist monk who teaches meditation. Much less chance of misunderstanding the instructions, answers to your questions (where possible) that come up as you start to learn.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It is definitely confusing when searching out "how to meditate" online! So many different ways. I have tried various ways and kind of incorporated them into my own meditation that seems to work best for me. Just be patient with yourself, and if it's something you really want to use to improve your life, make it a lifestyle change.

Welcome to the forum!
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for all of your help everyone. I am very thankful to have found this forum and can't wait to learn more.
  • edited May 2010
    Meditation for a Buddhist is similiar in some respects to centering prayer for a Catholic. For some it is comes easily but for most it takes a lot of time and adjustment before it becomes comfortable. Hang in there and don't get discouraged.
  • edited May 2010
    Do you have 7 dollars? If so, go watch a movie in the theater. When you do this notice how you are not thinking about what to do tomorrow or about the things you left undone at work or school. Notice how your mind, the movie screen, and the picture are one. When the protagonist is getting kicked by the bad guy, every body is sad and thinks, "Get him, get up!" When the protagonist wins the girl, every body is happy and thinks, "Aww how wonderful, I knew he could do it." So their mind and their focus is correct. When they watch the movie, they only watch the movie. Their mind is not moving all over the place. Meditation is exactly the same thing. Meditation is keeping a not-moving mind. When you eat, only eat. When you drive, only drive. This is already correct meditation. But when a thought comes into your mind, only observe it, let it go and continue your task. Very simple, not easy but simple. When you do formal sitting meditation your number one big job is to just sit there and pay attention. Maybe a mantra is necessary, maybe you need to lay down because your back hurts, that is no problem. Only do it.

10 minutes, 30 minutes, however long is ok. But make the commitment to do it. If you use mantra then stick to that for a while. If you focus on your breath then do that for a while. Don't jump around using different techniques when your mind gets bored. Then you will never find out which one really works for you. Use one technique for several weeks and see what happens.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I got my start in meditation with a great book called "Meditation, Now Or Never" by Steve Hagen. I fully recommend it if you can find it.

There are also some basic and useful instructions in this link:

http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

Best of luck with everything and welcome to the forums.