Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

do buddhist's float??

edited September 2005 in General Banter
Well, we all have our great questions, to be or not to be, and mine is, do buddhists float?
:mullet: :p :mullet:

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Only when properly inflated.
  • edited September 2005
    Which orifice do you use?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    If they're innocent, they sink, but if they're guilty, they float.....
  • edited September 2005
    oh crappppppp*sinking* :mullet:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    federica wrote:
    If they're innocent, they sink, but if they're guilty, they float.....

I think that's another Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference...

-bf
  • treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    u got it! and i use one of those air bed pumps!! man those ar awesome! although i wake up every night on da floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited September 2005
    oh crap *floating* hey i can see my house from here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :poke: :poke: :poke:
  • edited September 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I think that's another Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference...

-bf

"A witch, a witch!"

"Well, how do you know she is a witch?"

"She looks like one"

"Did you dress her up like this?"

"No, no...well maybe...a bit...a bit...BURN HER...BURN HER!"

"Now what do you burn a witch upon?"

"MORE WITCHES...Wood?"

"Good, now what does wood do?"

"Well it floats!"

"Good, now what else floats?"

"Churches, apples, very small rocks...A duck!"

"Good!"

"So therefore, if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood, and....she's a...A WITCH....BURN HER...BURN HER!"

I love that movie!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    :rolleyes: :nonono:

Actually, it never crossed my mind.... !!

I was thinking more of the factual medieval practise of throwing women into the water to test their witchiness... if they sank and drowned, they were innocent (so that's ok then...) if they floated - which was often the case, because they would robe them in clothes that billowed and held air rendering them buoyant - they were guilty, so they were then fished out and burned at the stake. whoppee.

I prefer the Holy grail Version.....!! :rockon: :lol:
  • ECMECM
    edited September 2005
    No Buddhist I know floats, but how about Milarepa --
    In chapter twenty-seven of The One Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa, the yogi Milarepa was staying in solitude in a cave on Katya mountain of Nyishang Gurta (present-day Manang, Nepal), in the area of Mön, keeping silence and resting in a continuous stream of meditation.

Some hunters came along and saw Milarepa, motionless and staring. They thought he was a demon, and ran away, but then summoning up their courage, they returned, ready to shoot him with their poisoned arrows. They asked him, “Are you a human being or a demon?” But, Milarepa did not respond at all. They fired their arrows at him but they could not pierce his body. They decided to throw him over a cliff, but they couldn't lift his body. They stacked wood around him and set it on fire, but Milarepa didn't burn. They carried him to a wide river and threw him in, but Milarepa, rose up out of the water, perfectly dry, still in the vajra posture (crossed legged meditation posture), and floated back up to his cave and back onto his meditation seat.
  • edited September 2005
    wow.......... so some buddhists really do float!! :mullet: cool!!! :mullet: and yes monty python and the search for the holy grail is a great movie! :mullet:
    edited September 2005
    I kow but i havent seen it in a long time i gotta to see it agin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and buddists FFFFFFFFLLLLOOATTTTTTTTTTT