Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bhavana Society West Virginia - any experiences?

TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
edited November 2010 in Sanghas
I'm very excited! I signed up for my first meditation retreat, a four night program over Thanksgiving at the Bhavana Society in West Virginia. The sangha came highly recommended from a few contacts I have in Richmond, VA at the Ekoji Buddhist Sangha. I was actually wait-listed because they are already full for females, but I feel confident that if I'm ready and intended to be in that situation at that time, someone will cancel. I think it's likely anyways, being Thanksgiving week. I hope to go Thanksgiving week because I will be missing my family if I stay at home alone.

Has anyone visited the Bhavana Society or heard anything about it, good or bad?

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    good for you!

I think it is very likely to that someone will cancel; specially this long before the retreat. Things change and people change their minds...

enjoy the retreat!
  • edited November 2010
    I have been to retreats at Bhavana Society over the years and have enjoyed each one.

Get there early - the website recommends 4:30 for first time retreatants. You'll first be assigned a job to do for the duration of the retreat - washing, cooking, cleaning, etc. Then you'll be assigned either a kuti or bed in one of the sleeping areas (separate for men and women of course). Then you can put up your belongings and look around.

If you want to go for a walk during the retreat I recommend making a left at the end of the driveway - there is less traffic that way.

Enjoy the retreat, this is an excellent place to practice.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

metta
    Tom
  • Thanks for your responses. I have no clue how it took me this long to stumble across them. I wasn't able to attend the Thanksgiving retreat but have been signed up for a retreat in early June for several months. I'm nervous about it but very excited to move through anything I encounter.