Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A friend asked, " Is sitting quietly and meditation the same thing? "

edited May 2010 in Meditation
I replied,

"Hmmm.....

sitting eyes closed I hear brother Chising

i follow my in and out breath--
Breathing in-Ami-
Brething out-Tabha

Ami- tabha*
Ami -tabha

Breathing in- infinate
Breathing out- light

Ami-tabha
infinate light

sittting..... i feel my solidity like a mountain
my awareness and my mind the sky

as i sit feeling my solidity, i see thoughts crossing my mind like clouds.
I idenentify them as they pass by, just recognizing them.

--Sit---pause

letting go of the clouds I come back to my in and out breath.

Ami-tabha
Ami-tabha
Infinate Light
Infinate life
Infinate Love

---ding---

Focus on the breath, the easiest source of life to be oberved,
don't influence it just recognize it.
This breath is short, this breath is long.
Labeling the thoughts we watch as they cross the mind helps keep from energizing the thoughts, see them as they are.
Once we reconize we are in a thought, refocus on the breath gently identify the thought and breath through the otthers that may come.
Emotions will come up, as well. We recogize these emotions and hold them as a mother holds it baby.
Yes, my emotion I have been blind to your needs because of my passions, but i am here aware of you and will care for you now.

These are the practices.

--ding -- ding

A few weeks ago i came home from an AA meeting and noticed a message on my phone from my ex- wife. I went out back to have a cigarette while I returned the call. The wind was blowing at 56-72kph, and I was standing under a 30 year old sycamore tree.
My ex- wife started in that her car needed repairs, my oldset had 40 hrs detention at school for class absenses, the girls werent listening to her, etc. As my thoughts started raging I stood feeling the pushing of the wind against my body, and I looked up watching the swaying sycamore. I watched the tree branches thrashing, trunk and larger branches were still, the wind pushed against me.

From my core arose the thought/mental formation-- "I can't stop the wind."
I was overcome by a sudden calm.

--ding--

--Namaste

*Amitabha (Sanskrit) [from a not + the verbal root ma to measure + abha splendor, light from a-bha to shine, irradiate]--- Unmeasured splendor; mystically, as boundless light or boundless space, one of the five dhyani-buddhas of Tibetan Buddhism, more often referred to as the five tathagathas or jinas (victorious ones).

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Amitabha is sycamore while wind is Infinate Love
  • edited May 2010
    Disney wrote: »
    Amitabha is sycamore while wind is Infinate Love

Thank you.

I thought wind was movement of thought. Sycamore was my solidiy, and the branches and twigs being broken and blown off by the wind God pruning my ego.