Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation road block

edited June 2010 in Meditation
Hi everybody!

I have reached a bottleneck in my meditation practice and would appreciate it if I got a few pointers on how to proceed.
<O:p
I practice breathing meditation, specifically the technique taught by Ajahn Brahm. According to his book I am at stages 4 ( Full sustained attention on the breath) and 5 ( Full sustained attention on the beautiful breath.) The problem I am having is when the breath disappears I am not sure how to proceed.
1. Does the breath really disappear or does it appear to disappear? This question is a distraction in my (reasonably) clear mind in meditation.
2. What exactly does my subject of meditation become at this stage? In the book it says to focus on the “beautiful” but I am not sure how to conceptualise this.
The stage of meditation I am at is very pleasant and sometimes quite blissful, but I a definitely at a loss on how to proceed.
I would welcome any feedback on the matter.
With metta:)

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    <object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Ki74KbfPLs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Ki74KbfPLs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    he's talking about powerful nimitta's but same principle always apply.

hope this help ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you for the info Pat.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Mick wrote: »
    Hi everybody!

I have reached a bottleneck in my meditation practice and would appreciate it if I got a few pointers on how to proceed.
    I practice breathing meditation, specifically the technique taught by Ajahn Brahm. According to his book I am at stages 4 ( Full sustained attention on the breath) and 5 ( Full sustained attention on the beautiful breath.) The problem I am having is when the breath disappears I am not sure how to proceed.
    1. Does the breath really disappear or does it appear to disappear? This question is a distraction in my (reasonably) clear mind in meditation.
    2. What exactly does my subject of meditation become at this stage? In the book it says to focus on the “beautiful” but I am not sure how to conceptualise this.
    The stage of meditation I am at is very pleasant and sometimes quite blissful, but I a definitely at a loss on how to proceed.
    I would welcome any feedback on the matter.
    With metta:)

"[13] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on inconstancy.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on inconstancy.' [14] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on dispassion [literally, fading].' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on dispassion.' [15] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on cessation.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on cessation.' [16] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on relinquishment.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on relinquishment.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.118.than.html

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books3/Buddhadasa_Anapanasati-Fourth_Tetra.pdf