Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shaking while meditating

edited June 2010 in Meditation
I start shaking from the exertion of keeping my back straight while I meditate. Does anyone know how to calm this shaking? I realize it will probably go away once my back gets stronger, but I'm hoping there is a temporary fix now. I take a medication that can make me shaky in general, too, so that might limit what I can do about it.

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Change your position or lean against a wall when your back gets tired :) It's counterproductive to tense up and let that distract you. Keep you back straight as long as you can, then fix the problem and keep going. Your back will naturally get stronger, and I'm sure there are exercises you can do to help.

That used to happen to me when I sat cross-legged. I sit seiza now with cushions under me and can sit longer before getting uncomfortable. When my back gets too tired I stop or sit against the wall.
  • edited June 2010
    Okay. I'll try that out. It is distracting me.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think it's important to note that you should apply the principle of good posture to EVERY time you are sitting. It seems sitting straight for ten to thirty minutes a day is not gonna do much for your back if the rest of the day you are slouching deeply in front of the computer or TV.

It's easier said than done tho. I'll be the first to admit it, while I meditate, I do my best to keep good posture, but I find myself slouching terribly in front of the monitor and even at the dinner table. Making good posture a habit is hard!