Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Full lotus

FenixFenix Veteran
edited June 2010 in Meditation
How can I start to get full lotus? I am unflexible at the moment and can not even sit in half lotus comfortably.

Im not interested in other postures

Comments

• edited June 2010
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yea, Engyo linked to the thread I started. I got sore knees and feet and eh, interior stuff.
    I could easily bend into lotus, but after days of practicing only 10-12 minutes meditation a night I had to stop. I was afraid to hurt myself.
    Now I take one step at a time, using half lotus and stretching my feet when watching tv, playing games etc. where you sit still :)
    Try to be skillful and not rush things. You may attach too much to lotus :)
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited June 2010
    You may attach too much to lotus :)

attach, I dont get it?
    edited June 2010
    I mean that you cling to lotus, where other options may be equally good and better suited for you level. I had to realize this myself. When I get flexible enough I will meditate in lotus :)
  • edited June 2010
    All of my sitting (started around 4 months ago) has been on a chair. Works well for me.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I sat burmese for 18 months to build flexibility and then was able to start full lotus. Full lotus has become much easier over the last 6 months :om:
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Well stretching my arms wont get me any closer to lotus, so I ask you what stretches specifically and what areas generally should I stretch

In the meanwhile I sit in a office chair. The bad part about that is I have to have a constant effort on pushing myself against the back rest. I always have to "try" and sit up so I cant focus on anything else
    edited June 2010
    Well stretching my arms wont get me any closer to lotus, so I ask you what stretches specifically and what areas generally should I stretch
    You need to stretch your inner thighs, feet and other places which are stiff and inflexible. You should be able to feel where you need improving, then find some stretches to make - on the internet, your local gym or where ever you find suitable to your needs.
    In the meanwhile I sit in a office chair. The bad part about that is I have to have a constant effort on pushing myself against the back rest. I always have to "try" and sit up so I cant focus on anything else
    You can also make yourself a meditator's bench. It's easy and cheap. You'll find plenty of how-to's on the internet. It is also a possibility to sit in half-lotus.
    Either way you will have to make an effort to sit erect - training your back might be a good idea.
    Meditating is not easy, but no one promised it would be so. When you feel that something is buggin' you, notice that you're bugged and let it pass. Just like you do thoughts.