Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and medicine

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Where do Buddhists stand on Medicine and doctors?

Some religions do not believe in blood transfusions, Rastafarian do not believe in amputation for example, as they feel the body should be whole...

I am curious where they stand of medicine, including Shrinks..

I completely failed myself... I could've go through with my appointment with the shrink I had arranged..

Comments

• edited June 2010
    My understanding is that if you need medical care then take it. There are no prohibitions other than those associated with the five precepts. In other words, as long as your treatment doesn't involve killing, harming anyone or stealing then you it is right action to seek and take part in treatment.

The Dalai Llama's own brother ( a practicing Buddhist and member of his staff) has been diagnosed with a serious psychiatric disorder and is treated by a Psychiatrist. There are even Buddhist Psychiatrists!

There is no shame in seeking help, as long as you do not expect someone or something else to do everything for you.

Of course, there are some traditional medical practices associated with countries such as Tibet, India and China, but they are not 'Buddhist', just cultural. Western medicine has literally saved my life and I believe that it is a great blessing to be born into a culture and time when advanced medicine is available.

Metta
  • edited June 2010
    The first psychiatrist I went to was a Nyingma Vajrayana Buddhist. It was through his intervention that I was once able to be on a volunteer security detail for HH Dalai Lama for a few days during a visit, and met some of the monks of Namgyal Monastery.

HH Dalai Lama is very very interested in science, and by implication, medicine. Just speaking for myself, whenever the question of medicine and science is raised, I'm always happy to quote HHDL or ask myself what he would say. I believe HHDL would say if the best available science says you need an antidepressant, or a transfusion, or surgery, or whatever, that's what you should do. He's especially interested in neuroimaging, neuroplasticity, and neuropsychiatry.

HHDL has even said that if anything in proper science disproves any of the basic tenets of Buddhism, he won't be able to be a Buddhist any more.

You didn't fail yourself. You made an honest mistake.

See The Art of Happiness by HH Dalai Lama and the psychiatrist Howard Cutler:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Happiness-Handbook-Living/dp/0733608582
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Buddhism frankly is psychology. Many psychologists are seriously looking into Buddhism these days and incorporate it into their work.

You aren't adopting beliefs and values, you're adopting a practice which aids you in making your own skillful decisions and come to your own skillful conclusions. Forget about "where does Buddhism stand on..." beyond "Buddhism promotes skillfulness, mindfulness, and non-harm."
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Buddhists generally don't have a problem with medicine, preventative or otherwise, and neither did the Buddha. The body and mind, by their very nature, are susceptible to aging, illness and death; however, the Buddha didn't teach that people must suffer unnecessarily. The Buddha's teachings themselves are mainly concerned with the elimination of human mental suffering (i.e., psychology) and changing the way the mind reacts to things like physical pain and illness (e.g., see SN 36.6).

Doctors can help prevent and treat illnesses, and I don't see why the Buddha would object to seeing one, especially considering the fact that the Buddha formulated the four noble truths in the same way that ancient Indian physicians formulted medical diagnoses (i.e., disease, its cause, prognosis and treatment).
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Many Buddhist see Psychotherapy as being in sync with Buddhist practice. When you practice mindfulness, you will notice different mind states, emotional states, that come up. You may also notice that some of these are easy to see.. such as a feeling of irritation at something someone posts on a forum. You notice it, maybe you have to be with it a bit, but then it unbinds and you move on. Then there are other states that are tougher, like serious anger over an injustice at work, but you can still be with it, sit with it, know it. Then there are mind states that go waaaay back to when you were a little fella. Maybe your folks lived in poverty? Now as an adult with a family, you get laid off. This triggers a mind state that overwhelms and shuts down your effective function, and decision making. There can be states around which you cannot be mindful, instead they overwhelm you. That is where psychotherapy can be of great benefit. It can shrink these states to the point where mindfulness can be established
  • edited June 2010
    To put it simply, anything related to medicine/doctors/psychotherapy/etc. is skillful if needed.

If it is simply desired it may not be skillful. Cosmetic surgery to be more attractive is unskillful, but cosmetic surgery to fix something that makes others avoid you and thus makes interactions with other people difficult would be skillful.

There is a point somewhere that the two meet so it's difficult to say, and you must use good judgment. Becoming more attractive for selfish reasons, to try and make people like you (rather than simply make them not avoid you).....would be questionable.

Always examine the reasons 'why', apply good judgment and you're good to go. :) Just as in school work, cheating is only harmful to the cheater. Be 'honest' with yourself.

Be attractive in how you live; in your speech and actions that are helpful, compassionate and selfless in nature.

Namaste
  • edited June 2010
    mikaakim wrote: »

Some religions do not believe in blood transfusions, Rastafarian do not believe in amputation for example, as they feel the body should be whole...

I completely failed myself... I could've go through with my appointment with the shrink I had arranged..

Tibetan Medicine is a sophisticated and heavily Buddhist system of medical treatment.
    The body and mind should be skillfully cared.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    When you practice mindfulness, you will notice different mind states, emotional states, that come up. You may also notice that some of these are easy to see.. such as a feeling of irritation at something someone posts on a forum. You notice it, maybe you have to be with it a bit, but then it unbinds and you move on.
    :o:D:lol:
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    mikaakim wrote: »

The others have said pretty much in 6 part harmony the basic ideas of buddhism and psychology.

As far as that last line... don't be so hard on yourself for the missed appointment, it can be difficult to go and open yourself up. Kind of like quitting smoking, the main focus is the quitting, not the times you lose control and spin away into a puff. You could call that psychologist, and after explaining, make a new appointment (if you havn't already.)

Fears are normal, just don't let them paralyze you forever!

With warmth,

Matt