Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Baptism

edited September 2005 in Faith & Religion
Having a debate with a friend about whether we'd baptise our kids.

She says she's a Catholic (though she believes in casual sex, with contraception and with other women :confused: :rockon: ) so she would definetly baptise the kid - in case it died young so it would go to heaven.

i think forcing anyone, especially the impressionable youth, into one religion or another is the worst thing you can do. Sure, when they're informed enough to make a choice go for it, but is it not wrong to force a belief on someone else and limit their exposure to any 'outside' influence.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Even when I was a 'good' Catholic, I was opposed to infant baptism as being purely superstition. But then I also oppose the circumcision of male infants as abuse!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    It's all ritual.... though for my part, I feel any religion that feels children would be excluded from Heaven without baptism, but adheres to the scriptures and quotes 'suffer the little children to come unto me for such is the Kingdom of Heaven' is by and large shooting itself in the foot....*Tee Hee!!*

Being sheep-like at the time, I followed with family tradition and wishes, and both my daughters were baptised... the gown was so pretty and a family heirloom, and it was so nice to see everyone again after so long....
    Both Godmothers have been lifelong absentees, and my eldest daughter was instrumental in delaying her own confirmation, because she felt unready at the traditional age/time.... the result was that she was the eldest in the group, but also the most informed.
    My youngest is not likely to be confirmed. We live in an Areligious country where Church and state are kept severely divided at arm's length.... She is not exposed to any form of Christian/Catholic influence.....therefore the likelyhood of her taking the veil is also somewhat remote - !! :lol:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    twobitbob wrote:
    :rockon::rockon:... she believes in casual sex, with contraception and with other women :rockon: :rockon:

Rock on is right, my friend :)

Just kidding.

Fede makes a good point about how some religions seem to shoot themselves in the foot.

I just can't help but believe that baptising an infant is just a way of making parents feel better and has no rhyme or reason - religiously-speaking.
    I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the Bible that there is some sort of statement that baptism and such don't really come into play until a person reaches an age of understanding.

While being raised as a Christian - I wasn't baptized until I knew exactly why it was being done and why I was going through it. Otherwise it meant about as much as taking a bath.

Oddly enough, what I find interesting is:

Meditating is one of those things that could benefit a person regardless of what they believe. You don't have to go through any special acts or rites to gain the benefit of meditation. Unlike praying, communion, laying down a rug and bowing to east every morning, baptism, etc. Treating people "right" just because it's, in my opinion, a good thing to do - with no threat of Hell or promise of Heaven making you do it.

Good stuff, huh?

-bf
    edited September 2005
    Even when I was a 'good' Catholic, I was opposed to infant baptism as being purely superstition. But then I also oppose the circumcision of male infants as abuse!

I agree, Simon.

I remember having a discussion with my girlfriend after she got on the Oprah soap-box regarding a show she had just seen about practices concerning "circumcism" (and that's not the correct term - but it's pretty PC) of women in various countries. The horrors that are inflicted on some women and little girls by removing central "sexual nerve" areas so that pleasure doesn't come into play for them during intercourse. How many times this is done in very unsurgical like environments, bleeding, infection, etc.

There are horrible, horrible stories regarding female circumcism - It's awful. I can't wrap my head around the culture or mentality that promotes these types of actions.

But... during our discussion, I brought up "male circumcism" to my girlfriend and it was pooh-poohed away as not being at all relative. That its what happens to little boys and what makes them look normal.
    I thought little boys were normal when they came out of the womb.
    I was kind of shocked by her statement. The only reason circumcism is for male is acceptable today is because it's been done for centuries. If this practice was something that was "new" - I would think people would be freaking out about it.

Anyway, I remember the sick feeling in my stomach when my son was circumcised. I didn't feel very good. I still remember that funky table they strapped him into - and how his little body went rigid and the screaming that took place when they started... and this is a practice to make boys look normal?

-bf
    edited September 2005
    Clitorectomy, "female circumcision", is an abominable practice and it is right that we should 'war' against it. In Rwanda, it is still being used, on women who were raped during the genocide, as a way of making them "clean" again: foul and repulsive, inhumane. Adds to our (Western) guilt that we did exactly nothing.

It is yet another manifestation of the hatred that men feel for women.

Male circumcision is much less traumatic surgery but, in the vast majority of cases, is just as unnecessary. The idea that a circumcised penis is "normal" is aberrant: it has been mutilated for no good reason.

As far as I know, no research has ever been carried out on the long-term psychological effect of cutting off the foreskin but we know that other infantile traumas can cause ineradicable damage. We object, quite rightly, to adults interfering with children's genitals but allow them to cut skin away. Go figure.
  • edited September 2005
    I have found a clear and lucid explanation as to why both practices are questionable!

Simon, a little unclear at the comparsion of circumcision with adults "interfering" with childrens genitals?.....as I don't believe that they are done with the same motivation.

Is it Anti-Semitic to Question Circumcision?

by Nicolas Walter

It could be argued that it is anti-Christian to attack the doctrine of hell or the burning of heretics, anti-Muslim to attack the doctrine of hell or the mutilation of thieves, anti-Hindu to attack the forced marriage of children or the forced suicide of widows, or anti-Chinese to attack the infanticide of girls or the foot-binding of women.

Surely anything must be attacked which is cruel and unnecessary, whether it is a religious ritual or a social custom, and that the universal criterion should be the welfare of individuals and not the presentation of a collective tradition.

Observer, Sunday, 10 September 1995, p. 6.
    edited September 2005
    Abraham,

Do you think that an infant whose genitals are touched abusively (and I include cutting the foreskin) is in the slightest interested in the toucher's motivation? A stranger taking you on his lap and cutting your penis: in any sane society this would result in prosecution!
  • edited September 2005
    Abraham,

Do you think that an infant whose genitals are touched abusively (and I include cutting the foreskin) is in the slightest interested in the toucher's motivation? A stranger taking you on his lap and cutting your penis: in any sane society this would result in prosecution!

Don't get me wrong, I believe as do an increasing number of Jewish parents that this practice is not necessary and indeed could be called an abuse. This practice is carried out on religious grounds, misguided it maybe, however it's not carried out as an act of perversion or sexual gratification. Perhaps, I am viewing this through the eyes of a potential Jewish reader of this forum, who might find the comparison a little offensive.

The reason for my previous post was to illustrate IMHO a genuine attempt at a tactful and sensitive arguement against the practice of circumcision be it Male of Female. We clearly are united in our opinion of the practice, I just feel that bringing other conotations may cloud the issue.

Does this therefore make all Jews insane.........??
    edited September 2005
    Sorry guys... I might have started this...

I was just kind of whacked recalling a conversation about how awful it was do circumcise women - but totally acceptable to circumcise a boy.

I have difficulty with double-standards.

For me, it just bothered me watching my son go through that.

-bf
    edited September 2005
    Abraham,

I have wondered for years whether the strange sexual laws that infest the Tanakh and the New Testament arise from the mutilation of Jewish males.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    "Everybody wants to get to Heaven; they're all just waiting around and hoping the entry requirements will be relaxed a little."

Whether these entry requirements actually definitively originate from God, or whether they are cunningly, insiduously and surreptitiously massaged in by Man, is now so unclear as to be almost entirely obscure. It is clear to me that an awful lot of hang-ups experienced by people ( be they social, moral or sexual) can be traced back in part if not in whole, to their religious upbringing.
    Religion may well be held responsible for thousands of inhuman acts across the world, and for different creeds, but ultimately, it is Man who interprets, implements and acts upon these teachings, and to my mind, it is ultimately Man who should be held to account. As we have discussed previously, any set of scriptures may be interpreted in different ways, to suit the occasion.....
    "Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance!" started out as "Send reinforcements, we're going to advance...." :crazy:
  • edited September 2005
    If we didn't kill and oppress people because of religion we'd find loads of other reasons to do it (colour, sex,culture, political assuasion, mental capicity, the colour of the cloth we salute........)