Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

concentration target

beingbeing Veteran
edited June 2010 in Meditation
Hey!

I've read this forum for a week or so. Mainly because I lately have this problem (most likely self created), that I seem not to get rid off, which has negatively affected my meditating.

I have read quite a lot about mindfulness and investigated different opinions on how to meditate. The majority seems to agree, that the best way to meditate to cultivate mindfulness is trying to be aware of the sensations of the breath at your nostrils, without any counting, labeling or words. Seems to make sense to me.

But the problem for me is that I often seem to unable to feel or notice any sensation of my out or in breath (usually can notice at least one of them). Especially when my breath is very subtle.
So when I can't feel the sensation (or it is super weak and I feel it for like a millisecond of the whole breath), I'm not sure what I should be concentrating on, so my mind starts to ponder on different things to keep itself busy, cause I don't have anything to concentrate on or to even come back to.

It's not always a problem, but it happens more often than not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I don't know if helps or not, but I suggest to take into consideration what you have read and do what is best for you. don't get so caught up in where to feel the breath just focus on breathing itself. I have found that I tend to focus on my breath in the back of my throat or the feeling of it raising and lowering of my chest.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    being wrote: »
    Hey!

I've read this forum for a week or so. Mainly because I lately have this problem (most likely self created), that I seem not to get rid off, which has negatively affected my meditating.

I have read quite a lot about mindfulness and investigated different opinions on how to meditate. The majority seems to agree, that the best way to meditate to cultivate mindfulness is trying to be aware of the sensations of the breath at your nostrils, without any counting, labeling or words. Seems to make sense to me.

But the problem for me is that I often seem to unable to feel or notice any sensation of my out or in breath (usually can notice at least one of them). Especially when my breath is very subtle.
    So when I can't feel the sensation (or it is super weak and I feel it for like a millisecond of the whole breath), I'm not sure what I should be concentrating on, so my mind starts to ponder on different things to keep itself busy, cause I don't have anything to concentrate on or to even come back to.

It's not always a problem, but it happens more often than not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    perhaps your mind is just too raw to perceive the subtle breath..

perhaps spending some time doing present moment awareness meditation, before moving on to breath meditation, would help calm the mind up and render your attention a little bit more sensitive so you can follow the breath.

Ajahn Brahm give a very good method of meditation which includes steps preceding the breath meditation.
    you can see the first few chapters here
    http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/The_Basic_Method_of_Meditation_by_Ajahn_Brahmavamso

and buy the book "Mindfulness, Bliss & Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm which is great for beginner meditator, to much more experienced ones.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I have the same problem. Yes that book is very good. I read most of it but it didn't really have any meditation instructions.

Anyways I kinda have the same problem as the OP. I think that one should just remain mindful of the present moment when there is no sensation. I'd like to try this "present moment mediation". If you could post a little more about that that would be great.