Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism's God.

edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Halo guys!
Reading a past posts bout God in Buddhism, i saw that many of you were not concerned about God or state ddidn't need God in buddhism. But i think that was wrong. We as a Buddhist has a God. God in terms of the absolute existance as an ultimate cause of all. But it's not a kind of personal God like in monotheistic religions like Christianity etc. This one is a legalistic God. So the GOd is the law of the universe, the law that was expounded in the Lotus Sutra, the law that makes every Buddha from the three existance of past, present, future and also Siddharta Buddha attained their enlightenment. We call it as the Lotus Wonderful Law, put it simply by the name of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. This law innates also in every one of us. that what makes all of us have the ability to attain the same enlightenment like The Buddha Gautama himself attained.

It is almost the same like the understanding of Pantheism, but it's kinda different though.
The Law of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is like the source of life of everything. Every phenomenas in the world of time n space, or everything beyond that is the physical manifestation of the law. So this law innates in everything, this law is everything. this Law also is alfa and omega.

That's all for my first posting! thank you very much!
I'm looking forward to be friend with all of you!

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Welcome Hansquad.

I hope you understand that there are Buddhists of many schools here, and that not all will agree with your particular take on the Dharma.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    hello hansquad, and welcome...!
    As Simon Says (That's a cue for a game if ever there was one - !!) we all have different approaches to Buddhism on here... there are even some who 'mix' their Christian beliefs or upbringing with their Buddhist philosophy.... oh, we're a very diverse bunch here!! We hope you'll enjoy interacting and meeting everyone! Glad to have you on board!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Hi, Hansquad - glad you're here.

I'd have to disagree with you - for me, right now - there is no god in Buddhism. Granted, I have a lot to learn - but what I'm working on right now? For me? No God.

But I like Halo!

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    Hansquad wrote:
    Halo guys!
    Reading a past posts bout God in Buddhism, i saw that many of you were not concerned about God or state ddidn't need God in buddhism. But i think that was wrong. We as a Buddhist has a God. God in terms of the absolute existance as an ultimate cause of all. But it's not a kind of personal God like in monotheistic religions like Christianity etc. This one is a legalistic God. So the GOd is the law of the universe, the law that was expounded in the Lotus Sutra, the law that makes every Buddha from the three existance of past, present, future and also Siddharta Buddha attained their enlightenment. We call it as the Lotus Wonderful Law, put it simply by the name of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. This law innates also in every one of us. that what makes all of us have the ability to attain the same enlightenment like The Buddha Gautama himself attained.

It is almost the same like the understanding of Pantheism, but it's kinda different though.
    The Law of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is like the source of life of everything. Every phenomenas in the world of time n space, or everything beyond that is the physical manifestation of the law. So this law innates in everything, this law is everything. this Law also is alfa and omega.

That's all for my first posting! thank you very much!
    I'm looking forward to be friend with all of you!

Hansquad, what makes "the law of the universe" a god? Certainly one can believe that there are laws to the universe without believing that the laws themselves are somehow a god. And if we extended the definition of "god", what would even be the point of calling those laws a god? Personally, I believe there are certain laws that govern the universe as we know it - but calling them a deity? Not by any definition I know of.

Perhaps I have misunderstood you, but this reminds me of an argument that, sadly, I have heard from at least one Christian. They said that if I believe in love than I must believe in god because "God is Love."
  • edited September 2005
    Hi, Hansquad.

Do you mean as in how taoists see the Tao - or how Einstein saw the universe as one force - and calling this one God?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I think you have to stretch the notion of 'God' rather a long way out of its usual shape before you can turn it into the Third Law or, even, the Tao. Lao Tzu says, in the Tao Te Ching
    The Tao is an empty vessel

• edited September 2005
    The human mind can stretch concepts into some very unusual shapes. But i guess these things are beyond concepts. Probably why my head hurts when i think about them too much.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Well if your head actually hurts when you think about something, it's just that you have crossed something beyond the human mind. Take out a piece of paper, map out your thoughts. You will find that sometimes the paper itself is more intelligent than our own mind. Or rather, you also learn that, your mind has boundless capacity, just the way you utilize it.