Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Problems with meditating on the breath...

edited July 2010 in Meditation
I find when focusing on the breath that i feel panicky, almost as if I'm not breathing properly. Not sure if I'm slowing my breathing down and that's the problem or if it's something else.

Anybody experienced anything similar? If so, how did you overcome the problem, or did you use other methods of meditation, if so what?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I've never had such an experience. Is it the same when you try to meditate on an image (for example an image of Guru Rinpoche) or just the thoughts entering your mind at that particular moment? Maybe another meditation technique will fit you more... Good luck!
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Instead of focusing on the breath, try resting in the experience of breathing.
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Atisha wrote: »
    I've never had such an experience. Is it the same when you try to meditate on an image (for example an image of Guru Rinpoche) or just the thoughts entering your mind at that particular moment? Maybe another meditation technique will fit you more... Good luck!

so focusing on an object brings the same result as counting breath? i thought the image, like music, would be a distraction in itself?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Patriot83 wrote: »
    I find when focusing on the breath that i feel panicky, almost as if I'm not breathing properly. Not sure if I'm slowing my breathing down and that's the problem or if it's something else.

If that ever comes up for me, I just take a deeper breath and let the panic out with the out breath as I re-center. Maybe you're over-focusing on the breath?

With warmth,

Matt
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited June 2010
    When we focus on our breath, we inadvertently try to control it. This can cause some people to panic. The trick is, to "watch" the breath without controlling it. If you breath fast, note "breathing fast" if breathing slow, note "breathing slow". Let whatever happens, happen.

Nios.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010

Anybody experienced anything similar? If so, how did you overcome the problem, or did you use other methods of meditation, if so what?

According to one of my teachers, this is not an unusual experience, particularly in the early stages of practice while we are still trying to "get it right".
  • edited June 2010
    If focusing on breath is a method not suitable for you, try other method like Focusing on "Om Mani Padme Hum or Amitabha Buddha" :D
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks for all of your answers, i will persist with the breathing but try and relax more and not control it.

Good to know it's not unusual early on, only tried a few times so fingers crossed it will stop.
  • edited June 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Instead of focusing on the breath, try resting in the experience of breathing.

I think fivebells has it right. Relax, don't try to make anything happen, stop anything from happening or even understand/feel anything, just relax. That's the thing about meditation, you're always doing it right, but you only notice you're doing it right some of the time. You're always exactly where you need to be, so sit back and enjoy it!
  • edited June 2010
    I think I sometimes experience a similar thing, if I've understood correctly. It doesn't happen for a while, and seems to come in phases when I'm generally in a more anxious state (which would make sense). To me it feels sort of like I'm not breathing deeply enough... or something like that.

I'm not sure whether or not this is good advice, but when this happens I stop counting the breath for a little while, and actually try to loose focus on it somewhat. I realise this is the opposite to what the awareness of breathing mediation is all about. ;) But I think that when I start to feel anxious about how I'm breathing, I'm actually trying to control the breath rather than just observing it. So if I have a little "break" I can allow my breathing to become more natural again, and then I can resume counting the breath (hopefully) without feeling anxious about it.

There's been some useful advice in this thread though, so when this happens again I might try a new approach and see if this works better for me. :)
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited June 2010

You could try the little poems Thich Nhat Hanh uses:
    Breathing in I calm myself,
    Breathing out I smile,
    Dwelling in the Present Moment,
    I know this is a wonderful Moment,

or the less wordy version:
    Calming,
    Smiling,
    Present moment,
    Wonderful moment.

He has others. Also read his book "breath you are alive!" there are others from that sutta you can use.

Also depending on the tradition you are following you could mentally recite Namu Amida Butsu, or another mantra-type phrase.

For myself I have so many sinus issues that breathing through my nose is often not comfortable, and since I am a Pure Land Buddhist, more often I just recite the nembutsu quietly. I find it has the same effect as breathing meditation for me, except it is easier to stay focused, and has an instant calming/blissfull effect.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I found myself feeling panicky as well a few nights ago and I immediately thought of this thread. I just kept breathing slowly, trying to let the feeling pass and after a few moments of this, the fear or the panicky feeling was gone.

I think this feeling in my case, came from feeling my breath so deeply within me. If I breath more superficially and more shallowly (is that a word? lol), I don't get the panicky sensation, but once I let my body relax more and the breathing becomes very settled and deep, this weird feeling comes.
  • edited July 2010
    You know what guys, I've gotten a bit of this experience as well. It's only when you get REALLY deep into the breath and have it relaxed. I noticed that this is the same feeling I get when I relax certain muscles or even let go of certain 'important' thoughts. I noticed that with relaxing muscles like the back and even the legs, my mind shot-off into "I can't do that, I'll lose my ridged posture and fall over or something," with my 'important' thoughts, "I can't let this one go, I'm having an epiphany, I'll forget and not be wise if I do."

Again, I get this same feeling with the breath. To tell you the truth, <Important: I found this panicky feeling to be the same as when doing a trust-fall>. In deep concentration, the breath is usually long and shallow compared to normal because the body doesn't need that much, and I found this to freak my mind out. It's like falling into a pitch-black pit, my mind wants to make sure I can see that I have enough safety, even it others assure that it's safe. Enough of my silly mind...

I am but a simple layman, but I suggest seeing what your mind/heart is doing at this moment this feeling comes up. Sometimes we do have to pull ourselves out of the concentration object (the breath) just an itty bitty bit to see what state our minds are in to easily settle into the breath. "Would a warrior take his eyes off the enemy for one second? No, but he would certainly be aware enough to not trip on pebbles." Dustin Luthro