Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gratitude

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited June 2010 in Sanghas
This weekend for the first time Ajahn Sumedho lead a retreat for lay people here in Canada. Twenty years ago there was little presence of Thai Forest Sangha in Canada (Ontario). Despite having no Monastery here Ajahn Viradhammo, who has family in Ottawa, used to visit and the Toronto or Ottawa Sanghas would organize retreats. Ajahn “V” was our long distance teacher, and some of us travelled overseas to see him in NewZealand where he was Abbot. Since then the energy of the Ottawa Sangha has given birth to Tisarana Monastery outside of Ottawa where Ajahn Viradhammo is now Abbot. There is also the Sati Saraniya Hermitage Hermitage where Ayyā Medhānandī is Abbess. Ajahn Sumedho's visit has been a reunion of the lay Sangha. 250 (80 from the Toronto area) of us were at the retreat this weekend. It was inspiring to say the least to have this retreat lead by Ajahn Sumedho,Viradhammo, Medhanandi and 6 young monastics. It has clarified practice for everyone and set our heads straight. So.... as a sloppy practitioner and heedless blabber-mouth, just this note of Gratitude and humility for the growth of the teachings in this country, and having Luang Por Sumedho come here to demonstrate the way. Thankyou.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Ajahn Sumedho is very special so you are blessed with this inspiring experience, Richard. Lovely to hear about it. Thank you.

_/\_

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    It was very special, and at the same time sad because at 75 he is retiring soon, so for those of us who did not make the trip to Amaravati, this was our only time to practice with him. Oddly enough the local Toronto Sangha was more coherent when Viradhammo was overseas, since he moved to Canada, the center of gravity shifted to Tisarana and we no longer have retreats locally, so this has inspired people.

Sumedho did not give the usual Dharma talks we've all heard at retreats, but focused instead on encouraging us to work with habit energy, and sharing his freedom in a really frank way. His presence was enough.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Oh, Richard!

I so longed to go. It would have been such an important experience.
    Family matters, moving house, and simply not being physically able to travel kept me from the festivities. What total drag! I can't bear to think about everything I must have missed out on. *sigh*

But I'll just have to let it go. Using the Dhamma to make myself suffer is just too ridiculous to maintain. :D

But I'm so glad you were able to attend and had such a great time. Now that I have a fast internet connection I'm going to check out the monastery and Hermitage sites to see if there is anything I can download from these last few and important weeks.

Gratitude indeed!
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hey Brigid... could you provide links to the monastery and Hermitage Sites you mentioned? Pleeeaaassseee :-)
    edited June 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    Hey Brigid... could you provide links to the monastery and Hermitage Sites you mentioned? Pleeeaaassseee :-)
    It would be simple to post the links, but since you are specific about who you want to post them, I'll defer. :-/
    edited June 2010
    awe... Richard... I'm sorry... I would surely appreciate anyone who provided the links... Please... feel free to provide the links (that goes to anyone else as well) :-)
    edited June 2010
    There is also this hermitage http://www.arrowriver.ca/index.html near Thunder Bay in the west. The Abbott is Ajahn Punnadhammo.
    edited June 2010
    Thanks RH :D