Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

anapanasati help

edited June 2010 in Meditation
Hello:

Im starting to question about the little proccesses inside the proccesses.

Example: i know i have to be aware of breathing, but dont know exactly how the aware must be of the hundred of awareness that i build,i have to be aware in a way that i cant even feel a bus passing right next to me, or i have to be aware of all the surround,i have to follow the breath only mentally or feeling physically,etcetc.

Lately im doing good just learning those procceses on my own by experience but i prefer prevention, so i readed a couple of interpretations of the sutta but dont know for sure...

Is there any sutta complementary to anapanasati ?
Any interpretation that u recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    andariza,

What I hear in your question is that you need to steady your mind, not that you need a new interpretation of anapanasati
    [11] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in steadying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out steadying the mind.'

When the heightened sensitivity arises like you're describing, the tendency to react harshly to phenomena seems common. In the process of the arising and fading bus for instance, your mind is actively seeking to dispel (ignore) or attract ("aware of all") the sensation that comes up. The bus isn't the disruptive part, your mind is dancing away from your practice and fixating on the bus. Or the breath. Or the body... etc.

Being able to maintain a steady mind seems to be what you're missing. Meditating can be like watching fireworks, where we ooh and ahh at the brilliance. Enjoying the show is alright, but get back to the sitting. Worrying about enjoying the show is alright, but get back to the sitting. Millions of blooming awarenesses are alright, but get back to the sitting.

The steady mind doesn't need to do anything with the bus, or the awarenesses, it doesn't become pushed or pulled. The easy way is to simply let go of what is happening. Not repelling, not grasping, but just letting what is be what it is... nothing more.

With warmth,

Matt
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    andariza wrote: »

There are some good discussions about this over on the Dhamma Wheel forum.

P
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    There are some good discussions about this over on the Dhamma Wheel forum.

P
    link?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    andariza wrote: »
    Hello:

Im starting to question about the little proccesses inside the proccesses.

Example: i know i have to be aware of breathing, but dont know exactly how the aware must be of the hundred of awareness that i build,i have to be aware in a way that i cant even feel a bus passing right next to me, or i have to be aware of all the surround,i have to follow the breath only mentally or feeling physically,etcetc.

Lately im doing good just learning those procceses on my own by experience but i prefer prevention, so i readed a couple of interpretations of the sutta but dont know for sure...

Thanks a lot!
    here is a great article by ajahn sumedo on anapanasati

http://www.buddhanet.net/nowknow2.htm

i hope it will be useful for you.
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you all, today was a great great great meditation session :)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    link?

http://www.dhammawheel.com/

Some of the discussions on Dhamma Wheel can get a bit technical ( for me anyway:o ) but there seem to be some very knowledgeable contributors.

P