Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Experiment

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited October 2005 in Sanghas
I was sitting here reading a book about Buddhism, meditation, mindfulness, awareness, etc.

And I thought to myself, "It might be interesting to figure out something with the group - timewise - where we all did something together!"

May sound stupid, but I thought that maybe if we picked out some specific time - and I realize that we're dealing with people from all around the world - to do something as a group.

Either meditate in our own homes or meditate outside or just go for a walk and be mindful of the things that we think about with this experiment in mind.

Then come back as a group and post each persons experience.

What's the benefit of doing this?

Well, one thing would be sharing your experience with people that you interact with here. Another thing could be that some of our more experienced members could share their experience, thoughts, "what they were mindful of" during this experience and state it here.

It might be useless - it might share insights or thoughts that others could benefit from in their practice. It could be a time to just state what you notice in your corner of the world and share that experience with others around the world. Maybe it will just make your typing a little better.

Anyone that is interested - in either setting a specific time where we're doing this all together OR doing something in particular, like going for a walk in our surroundings - drop a line. If there is enough interest - this might be interesting!

-bf

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I'm game.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    It might show some interesting results if we all decided to focus on something specific, whether it be an intention to 'connect' or to send' positive mental waves towards a specific situation.... But if we were all united in visualising/thinking/meditating the same thing, for the same period of time, the comparisons or mere acounts of the experienced reactions could also be a talking point....?

Picking the time is going to be tricky tho'......
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I have been participating in meditation/prayer across the Net for a number of years now. I use it in one-to-one IM chats as well.

My only caveat is that we have found that 'sharing' can become the desired outcome, clouding Right Intention.

It is, however, a very powerful tool in spiritual growth (for want of a better term).
  • edited September 2005
    I am interested.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005

My only caveat is that we have found that 'sharing' can become the desired outcome, clouding Right Intention.

Whaddya mean, Simon?

Please explain.

-bf
    edited September 2005
    Well, it doesn't have to be at the same time.

That would be interesting if it could happen. We'd have to see how things work out. And, I believe that Simon is a good 8 or 9 hours ahead of me and Fede and Abraham might be about 18 hours ahead of me - if not more.

So, the time thing might be out. But if anyone has any ideas of what they've done before that has worked - please bring them up.

Since I didn't get Simon's caveat, we'll have to look into that.

But even if it's mindfulness - of all of us - for a certain amount of time within a given 24 hour period - I would be interested to hear what everyone has to say. The thing that brought this to mind was, as I said before, being mindful of where we are and what we are doing. Instead of moving through life like we're on autopilot.

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    BF, I'm in.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Whaddya mean, Simon?

Please explain.

-bf

I believe that what Simon may mean is that we become so focussed on trying to link together, that we lose the true intention of peaceful meditation, thus 'lessening' its effect on ourselves.... could be wrong....
    FWIW... The time here, as I'm posting this right now, regardless of what it may tell you, is 5.15 in the afternoon.... does that help?
    edited September 2005
    Fede has it and says it better than I did - as usual!

I'm in, of course.
    edited September 2005
    I think that would have been about 8:15 a.m. my time...

-bf
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I have found that after hanging out with an international internet community for a few years I have gotten into the habit of using the 24 hour clock to communicate local times. It can help alleviate some of the confusion caused by some places observing daylight savings time, etc. Now India Standard Time is a whole different story! :lol:

Anyways, buddafoot is currently GMT -07:00, while I believe *bsf* is GMT. I am currently GMT -04:00 but that will change to -05:00 soon (next month, I believe).

this site can help, but beware the frequent pop-up advertising.

Back on topic: I'm in.
    edited September 2005
    Errr....hang on Brian..... I don't think you gain.... or do you....?
    Don't clocks 'fall' back in the autumn and spring forward in thre spring? .... unless of course you're on planet Spzchriwigzhgh where the 38 and three-quarter hours per day clock runs, so that you gain an hour and five minutes every three years and fall back fifteen minutes every week. Works like a dream....!!

or am I wrong....? :o
    edited September 2005
    The clocks do, indeed, go back one hour in October, making it the longest month of the year by adding an extra hour to its 31 days.
    edited September 2005
    Hmmm... my clock always flashes 12:00. I may be out of this exercise completely if we can't do it at noon or midnight....

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    Sounds good to me! What time is this to occur? I am living in Indiana which does not follow the time change as of now. This will change in 2006, I think, since the state legislature decided to follow the time change like just about all of the states do right now. Right now, the time here in Indiana is one hour behind and when the time change occurs in October, the time will be the same because time will "fall back" one hour. Heck! I get confused just thinking about it all! LOL :hair: :banghead:

Adiana :type: :mullet:
    edited September 2005
    Yes, thanks Adi, that was as clear as mud.... keep taking the tablets....!! :lol: :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2005
    I'd be happy to send a remote Reiki treatment out to everyone if they wanted it.
    One of the things we were taught when we covered 2nd degree was sending Reiki out to people at a distance. I've tried this a few times since I completed my Master/Teacher training and had some interesting results.
    The beauty of it is it is all done with intention. I send the treatment out with the intent that it will "hang about" for a set period of time and then the recipient can tune in when it is most convenient. For example, my teacher sends a remote empowerment out on a Saturday with the intention that it can be picked up by any of his students on the Monday, regardless of difference in timezones.

Anyway, it's just a thought. All you'd need to do is sit/lie down somewhere quiet, close your eyes and say to yourself "I'm ready to accept the remote Reiki treatment from Adrian now" and then see if anything happens.

Let me know if you want to try this out.
    Adrian
  • edited September 2005
    I am game as well.

Frizer - I have always wanted a Reiki treatment. I would love to try that out!
  • edited September 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    I am game as well.

Frizer - I have always wanted a Reiki treatment. I would love to try that out!

Excellent! OK, what I'll do is send a treatment out so that it can be picked up on this Sunday by anyone that wants to have a go.
    As I mentioned, just find a quiet moment where you won't be disturbed too much and close your eyes.
    Settle your breathing down and then say to yourself "I'm ready to receive my remote Reiki treatment from Adrian now." Then see if you experience anything.
    I'm tempted to describe some of the things people experience but I won't as I don't want to "prompt" in any way. Besides, people experience things in so many ways so if I were to say that most people have experience X and then you have experience Y I don't want you to think that what you felt was any less valid. Of course you may experience nothing at all ! :p

Just "go with the flow" and see what happens.

P.S. Yogamama, what style of yoga do you do? I've been doing Hatha for about 18 months and have recently started an Ashtanga class as well. I'm spoiled as we have a staff sports center at our office and the yoga teachers come on site to give lessons.
    After 90 mins of Ashtanga I feel like I've just run a marathon !!! :hair:
    Hopefully it'll get easier with time :D
  • edited September 2005
    Frizzer - great...I am looking forward to Sunday! I will let you know if I experience anything. I mostly do hatha yoga, but have done some Ashtanga yoga as well. I love both! It's funny how people think that yoga is just stretching, but when they actually do yoga, they are amazed at what a good workout it is. It's tough!
    edited September 2005
    I'm kind of dropping the ball on this one. I started the dang thread and haven't done anything in regards to a schedule or anything.

Somebody wanna do some planning and see if we can come up with a time or a date or what the event will include and schedule something???

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:

Somebody wanna do some planning and see if we can come up with a time or a date or what the event will include and schedule something???

-bf

I thought I just did !? :confused::(
    edited September 2005
    Frizzer wrote:
    I thought I just did !? :confused::(

Frizzer,

I'm sorry. My bad.

I was speaking in regards to a group "buddhism" exercise. Either sitting meditation or walking meditation or sharing the experience of a walk in each person area with each other.

I don't know anything about rieki... I don't even know how to spell it! :)

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    That's OK, don't worry, I'm only joking!

I could rattle on for ages about Reiki but it's easier if you check out my very basic website (link from my profile) . You can also have a look at www.reikievolution.co.uk. They're the people I trained with.

Very basically Reiki was developed by Mikao Usui in Japan nearly 100 years ago from a few different systems that were around. It's core is based on Shintoism and Tendai Buddhism and it was developed as a "fast track" to enlightenment. A side effect of the system was the ability to transfer energy to another person in order to help them heal themselves.
    When Reiki came to the West it was only the healing side that was taught, the spiritual side wasn't emphasised. Fortunately parts of the original system are now being discovered via one of Usui's surviving students and it is this original system (or as close as we know it) that I have learned.

It's Reiki that led me down the path to learning more about Buddhism and so here I am now! :D
  • edited September 2005
    I thought this might go along with the experiment that BF first posted. Some friends and I are getting together on a weekend next month to do a healing ceremony for Mother earth. After all the recent damage that has been done ( two Hurricanes and now the wildfires here in California) We feel that Mother Earth could use a boost so to speak. We have decided that the Weekend of Oct. 8 & 9 would be good. We will be starting out at sunrise on the 8th and go until sunset on the 9th. If anyone would like to join us. All that needs be done is a simple Meditation or Tobacco prayer.:thumbsup:
  • edited October 2005
    There we go, I've just sent out a 15 minute remote Reiki treatment ready for people to pick up tomorrow (Sunday the 2nd) if they want.
    Just see how it goes using the process I described earlier. I've not tried sending it out to a big group of people I've never formally met before so I'd be very interested to hear if anything happens!
    Adrian
  • edited October 2005
    MoonLgt wrote:
    I thought this might go along with the experiment that BF first posted. Some friends and I are getting together on a weekend next month to do a healing ceremony for Mother earth. After all the recent damage that has been done ( two Hurricanes and now the wildfires here in California) We feel that Mother Earth could use a boost so to speak. We have decided that the Weekend of Oct. 8 & 9 would be good. We will be starting out at sunrise on the 8th and go until sunset on the 9th. If anyone would like to join us. All that needs be done is a simple Meditation or Tobacco prayer.:thumbsup:

Sounds like a great idea! Count me in!

Adiana:type: :mullet:
  • edited October 2005
    Frizzer wrote:
    There we go, I've just sent out a 15 minute remote Reiki treatment ready for people to pick up tomorrow (Sunday the 2nd) if they want.

Did anything happen ? :-/
  • edited October 2005
    Oh, I am SO sorry! I have been sick all weekend and I didn't sit quietly to receive the treatment. :( Can we do it again another time, or is it a lot of work for you? Again, I am so sorry!
  • edited October 2005
    Fizzer, I did as you asked and what I received was a warm feeling of peace and contentment. Which was what I really needed concidering all the disruptions in energies I have been feeling lately. Thanks
  • edited October 2005
    MoonLgt - I'm glad you experienced something. Those kind of feelings are exactly what a lot of people experience when receiving a treatment in person so I'm pleased it worked for you.

Yogamama - don't worry, I'm more than happy to send one out again. In fact I'll do one for next Sunday as well. It doesn't involve me doing a lot of work, just 15 minutes of visualising Reiki going to whoever requests it. Hope you feel better soon.

Adrian
  • edited October 2005
    Thank you so much! Sorry I missed it and I promise to do it this coming Sunday. I probably would be feeling better if I would have done the treatment, huh?? :)
  • edited October 2005
    In Oregon and interested . . . Being chronologically mature I am confused about what time on Sunday? It is Sunday?
    edited October 2005
    RainbeauxKid, a very warm and hearty welcome to you.....!
    The Reiki treatment is being sent out, and all you have to do is to pick a time of your own to sit, accept and receive the treatment on that day.... perhaps a typically quiet moment might be at between 3:00 and 5:00pm.... just sit, relax, and state your intention to receive..... and see what happens!
    Nice to have you with us..... ;)
  • edited October 2005
    Yep, that's exactly how it works !
    Cheers Fede !
  • edited October 2005
    Right, I'll be sending out another blast for anyone that wants to try and pick it up tomorrow (Sunday).
    Cheers,
    Adrian
  • edited October 2005
    Frizzer - I received the same feelings as MoonLgt - feelings of peace and warmth! Thank you!
  • edited October 2005
    Thanks for the feedback Yogamama, you're more than welcome !
    Perhaps I'll make this a regular thing. As part of my meditation on Saturdays I could also send out a Reiki treatment for anyone to access the following day.
  • edited October 2005
    I would participate in that for sure! :)
    edited October 2005
    I'm not quite sure whether this is relevant, but Nick and I couldn't stop laughing at really stupid stuff all day! Anything and everything set us off!
    Granny run over by ten-ton truck? I laughed like a drain! stitch in my sides and ROTFLMAO!!
    What is wrong with me?!?

oh, yes, now I remember....... see below......:doh:
    edited October 2005
    Laughing at the experiment?

Hello?

Are you two okay?

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    fede...step away from the drugs.
    edited October 2005
    But BF, if I do that, I'll get even worse.....!ù*$^=ààèç!!
    edited October 2005
    You stinkers.

Get worse?

I don't think that's possible.

Say "Hello" to the White Rabbit for me.

-bf
    edited October 2005
    Now he's offended... He DOES have a name you know.....!!

Frizzer, I await NEXT sunday with interest....
    Shouldn't that be:
    "Frizzer Jolly Good Fellow....!" ?!?:rolleyesc :D
  • edited October 2005
    Ha ha ha!! I aim to please !

I'm off on holiday to New York on Friday (look out USA, the Brits are coming!) but I'll make time on Saturday morning to send another batch of feel good Reiki vibes!
    Alas, while I'm off for the week I'll have no internet access so I'll have to wait till I get back to see if anything else has happened......
  • edited October 2005
    I slammed my thumb in the dishwasher last night when I was closing the door....can you send out some healing for that??? It really hurts! :)
  • edited October 2005
    You'll have to wait until after I send myself some! I over did it in my Astanga class yesterday and now I ache all over. Hope I'm OK by Friday, I don't relish the idea of a 7 hour flight with my back muscles in knots ! :(

Hope your thumb feels better soon though :thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    Frizzer wrote:
    You'll have to wait until after I send myself some! I over did it in my Astanga class yesterday and now I ache all over. Hope I'm OK by Friday, I don't relish the idea of a 7 hour flight with my back muscles in knots ! :(

Hope your thumb feels better soon though :thumbsup:

I am sending healing your way, Friz!
  • edited October 2005
    What about my thumb, Simon??? ;)