Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Delights

edited June 2010 in Meditation
We had a thread "meditation frustrations", so I am posting some positive experiences to contrast that. I hope it serves as an inspiration. Please feel free to add your own positive experiences.

Yesterday we had a blackout which is nothing unusual where I live. I used the time to do some cardio exercise with my cross country skiing machine. After 30 min on the machine, I went back inside the house. Since there was still no power, I went to the meditation room. Good opportunity for a session, since the kids were out for horse riding.

I was still wearing sport clothes, sweating profusely, and I have never meditated right after exercise. After settling in for a few minutes, however, I did not feel hot anymore. Although the room temperature was still 35 C, I felt totally cool and relaxed. While focusing on the breath, I felt beads of perspiration running down my face and my back, but it didn't feel hot and uncomfortable at all, more like refreshing rain drops. The film of perspiration on my body felt like cool morning dew. Needless to say that I spent a very comfortable 30 mins in deep concentration, without fan or air conditioning (which wasn't available due to the blackout).

Once I got out of meditation, I noticed how hot it actually was. The zubuton was soaked and I went straight to the shower. For these 30 min, it seemed that my temperature feeling was somehow switched off.

Cheers, Thomas

Comments

• lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    My experience today is not a huge epiphany or anything like that, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

As I was meditating, succeeding in keeping my mind clear for a while, a faint, gentle SMILE came to my face. I don't know why, as I wasn't thinking about anything that would make it appear, and I wasn't having any feelings of happiness either (not consciously anyway), but it came to my face and noticing it made me smile on the "inside" too.

Just wanted to share that with all of you. It went away after a lil while, but it reminded me of those statues of the Buddha meditating with a hint of a smile on his face. Not that I'm saying I'm anything close to the Buddha, but I was smiling like that too.

It's the first time this has happened and it felt nice.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Light, thanks for posting a link to this thread; I dunno how I missed it. Both your stories are great and very inspiring! Love this thread.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I've been a new parent all of a week now and I had to hold my fussy baby for 45 minutes late at night so he would not feed to early. I sat with him and counted breathes, 1 to 5, 1 to 6, 1 to 7 [...] 1 to 10. It took me the whole time just to get through two or three cycles.

Anyhow, moral of the story, I'm learning how to turn "sitting and doing nothing" into the most productive time of the day :)
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    Light, thanks for posting a link to this thread; I dunno how I missed it. Both your stories are great and very inspiring! Love this thread.

You're welcome. Glad I could steer you in this direction. I only hope more people start posting some positive meditation experiences so that the thread grows a bit.