Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Correct Posture

NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
edited July 2010 in Meditation
I've been meditating for a year or so, and I still didn't figure out how to place my legs, so that they don't seem to be tense and numb and so on.
This thing, among other things, like back pain and pain in the neck, and of course some sensation of dizziness in my head, reduce a what-should-have-been 15 minutes session to a 2-5 minutes session.
I need some pieces of advice...that will work. I've seen some youtube videos about leg positions and postures, but they are far from giving me some comfort.

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Do you do any stretching before hand?
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited June 2010
    A little...
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The posture is not a requirement of meditation.
    The position may or may not be important depending on the individual and excercise.

If you are naturally unable to sit in Lotus posture (I have broken my knees 3 times) then just do not!

Sit on a chair or stand or walk. You can even lie down.

If you lie down then the posture of the reclining Buddha is to be recommended.

If standing I recommend the Ritsu zen posture with the hands down. But I guess that is not required you could just stand.

But if you are not ill or physically unable and you really want to sit in lotus posture then I would recommend just biting your teeth and sitting for 15 min to start with.
    Then again I practise Kyokushin and would say that!:)

In the beginning you will not get any meditation done but eventually when the body gets used to it there will be no pain and you can relax.

/Victor
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I've been meditating for a year or so, and I still didn't figure out how to place my legs, so that they don't seem to be tense and numb and so on.

There are different views on this. The way I look at is that meditation is about meditating, not about doing yoga, and that being in pain is not actually that helpful. You might find it helpful to try a meditation stool, alternatively just sit on a chair. :)

P
    edited June 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    There are different views on this. The way I look at is that meditation is about meditating, not about doing yoga, and that being in pain is not actually that helpful. You might find it helpful to try a meditation stool, alternatively just sit on a chair. :)

P

I actually meditate in my bed. The bad part is, that my mattress is a bit hard, and, instead of making my legs and eventually my posture comfortable, it tends to make it worse. The problem is that I have to correct my leg position. That is my only problem in this moment. I did figure out how to get rid of my back pain...Now, the problem with the chairs and meditation....I tend to get bored by just sitting...I don't know, sounds wierd, but I kinda hate the chair...when it comes into the meditation context ( too much school is the cause; I don't think it is necessary to explain why).
    Thanks for the advice anyway :D:D
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    If you hate sitting in a chair, then perhaps the chair is the best place to meditate. Use that ninjato to dice up your delusion!

With warmth,

Matt
    edited June 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    If you hate sitting in a chair, then perhaps the chair is the best place to meditate. Use that ninjato to dice up your delusion!

With warmth,

Matt

Ninjato...meaning ninja blade ??
    No problem ! I'll look for it, and I'll slice and dice that delusion.:ninja:
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ninjato...meaning ninja blade ??
    No problem ! I'll look for it, and I'll slice and dice that delusion.:ninja:

In your avatar you have what looks like a ninjato, but I'm no expert. :)

With warmth,

Matt
    edited June 2010
    I actually meditate in my bed. The bad part is, that my mattress is a bit hard, and, instead of making my legs and eventually my posture comfortable, it tends to make it worse. The problem is that I have to correct my leg position. That is my only problem in this moment. I did figure out how to get rid of my back pain...Now, the problem with the chairs and meditation....I tend to get bored by just sitting...I don't know, sounds wierd, but I kinda hate the chair...when it comes into the meditation context ( too much school is the cause; I don't think it is necessary to explain why).
    Thanks for the advice anyway :D:D

Try Zazen position.
    Use a cushion between bum and legs or under your ankles.

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    I'm with Victorious on this one, posture isn't necessary for meditation. Meditate all the time, when you're walking talking, eating, always. Just appreciate the world that's going on around you :)

There's no need to separate spiritual and everyday living. They're pretty much the same thing. You don't have to say "now im going to meditate", and "now I'm not going to meditate", just relax
    edited June 2010
    Marmalade wrote: »
    I'm with Victorious on this one, posture isn't necessary for meditation. Meditate all the time, when you're walking talking, eating, always. Just appreciate the world that's going on around you :)

There's no need to separate spiritual and everyday living. They're pretty much the same thing. You don't have to say "now im going to meditate", and "now I'm not going to meditate", just relax
    One does not need buildings, money, power, or status to practice the Art of Peace. Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train.

From Art of Peace

Spot on Marmalade.:)
    /Victor

PS
    That is a quote from Morihei Ueshiba himself Mr Aikidoka.
    DS
    edited June 2010

With warmth,

Matt

The Ninjato is more of a straigth blade. The one in the picture looks curved as it should be in the Aikido tradition.

Just a thought.

/Victor

PS
    Incidentally the curvature comes from the application of clay and cooling process, during production of the blade.:)
    DS.
    edited June 2010

With warmth,

Matt

That sword is a katana. Ninjato is a little different.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    That sword is a katana. Ninjato is a little different.

If you hate sitting in a chair, then perhaps the chair is the best place to meditate. Use that katana to dice up your delusion!

With warmth,

Matt
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I do a lot of standing meditation, these days. Works well.
    edited June 2010
    fivebells wrote: »

Yooo, I remembered a thing. Does daydreaming at school (although right now I don't go to school because it's the summer holiday) count as meditation ? I mean, I'm sitting in my desk , looking through the window at a random point on a block of flats nearby the school and thinking about nothing...
  • edited June 2010
    thats more like fading (dont know exact word in english), like the opposite of meditation
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    fivebells wrote: »

That's interesting. Do you maintain mindfulness of body and mind, or just mindfulness of body and sensations or...?

P
  • edited June 2010
    and of course some sensation of dizziness in my head

Is that really normal? This worries me. Sometimes I get dizzy, but I figure that's just because I'm anxious a lot of the time and it carries over into my meditation. Now I'm scared to meditate! Gosh, what else is new...but yeah I'm wondering if this is really normal??
    edited June 2010
    Cristina wrote: »
    Is that really normal? This worries me. Sometimes I get dizzy, but I figure that's just because I'm anxious a lot of the time and it carries over into my meditation. Now I'm scared to meditate! Gosh, what else is new...but yeah I'm wondering if this is really normal??

If anything happens and has the right condition to happen...then, it is normal.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Here's a nice listing of zazen postures from wwzc.org:

http://wwzc.org/translations/ThePostureOfZazen.htm

Perhaps, though, it's your mental posture you should worry about:
    The Posture of the Mind

As you sit, the mind takes on various postures or stances. It crosses its arms and tries to just wait things out. It twiddles its thumbs. It fidgets and scratches and wriggles. It flails its arms, shakes its fists, and screams. It crouches and slumps among its old memories, its favorite old movies and songs, as random chattering. It bloats with pride at having been “watching the breath” so clearly. On and on and on.

The mind defines itself as “this” as opposed to “that”. It agrees or disagrees. It tells itself stories about itself over and over to try to prove to itself that it is real. It takes a point of view and then confuses that viewpoint with what is seen and so blinds itself to seeing clearly. And on and on and on.
    The mind is the mirror in which experiences arise and present themselves within Awareness.
    Breathing in, breathing out, just sit.
    edited July 2010
    You are right there, it's my mind that needs to stand still :lol: !
  • edited July 2010
    As you sit, the mind takes on various postures or stances. It crosses its arms and tries to just wait things out. It twiddles its thumbs. It fidgets and scratches and wriggles. It flails its arms, shakes its fists, and screams. It crouches and slumps among its old memories, its favorite old movies and songs, as random chattering. It bloats with pride at having been “watching the breath” so clearly. On and on and on.

The mind defines itself as “this” as opposed to “that”. It agrees or disagrees. It tells itself stories about itself over and over to try to prove to itself that it is real. It takes a point of view and then confuses that viewpoint with what is seen and so blinds itself to seeing clearly. And on and on and on.
    :lol:

That's all allllllll too familiar :P It at least makes me feel good to know I'm not the only one
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Among the many possible "roadblocks" one can find in the practice of meditation, I'd say posture is the one I have most trouble with too. Knee and back pain are my most common issues, but legs and butt falling asleep happen as well and it's hard to find a position where you can stay awake but at ease and relaxed at the same time.

Just wanted to say, I hear your pain.