Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Asking for a teaching...

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I've recently begun re-attending a local Tibetan Sangha after being away for a year or so. After much thinking, I've decided that I'd like to follow the Mahayana path instead of the more dangerous and secretive Vajrayana path. Up until now, I've not asked for any individual instruction, rituals or empowerments from our lama, though I have taken Refuge Vows and the Five Precepts.

Many times it has been mentioned in the Sangha that if one wants a teaching one needs to ask for it. So how do I approach our lama and ask him for training in the Mahayana path? Are there specific teachings I should ask to be instructed in? Is there a traditional way to go about this?

As strange as it may sound, I'm also afraid of bothering him...

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Well there is only one way to find out...
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Whenever you approach a lama it is good to show respect for the dharma (which he represents) ... especially if you are going to make a request, and especially if that request is for teachings. This respect is shown by how you approach the lama. There are particular ritual offerings and actions that show respect, but lamas are very tolerant ... particularly of us Westerners ... and it is your attitude that counts most.

For the record, though, in Edmonton we approach lamas with slightly-bowed heads, hands held out (palm up) in front of us, with a katah scarf draped over our hands. We make an offering too, held in one of our hands ... usually of money in an envelope, but sometimes of food or flowers or incense or saffron. If the lama is sitting, we go down on one knee. If the lama is standing, we only lower our head.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2010
    nakazcid wrote: »
    I've recently begun re-attending a local Tibetan Sangha after being away for a year or so. After much thinking, I've decided that I'd like to follow the Mahayana path instead of the more dangerous and secretive Vajrayana path. Up until now, I've not asked for any individual instruction, rituals or empowerments from our lama, though I have taken Refuge Vows and the Five Precepts.

Many times it has been mentioned in the Sangha that if one wants a teaching one needs to ask for it. So how do I approach our lama and ask him for training in the Mahayana path? Are there specific teachings I should ask to be instructed in? Is there a traditional way to go about this?

As strange as it may sound, I'm also afraid of bothering him...

Why don't you ask someone in the Sangha, they are probably best equipped to tell you, or tell you who can tell you.

Blessings,
    Abu
  • edited June 2010
    nakazcid wrote: »
    I've decided that I'd like to follow the Mahayana path instead of the more dangerous and secretive Vajrayana path.

Simply making an appointment with the lama should suffice. In my opinion, a proper lama would understand your concerns and accommodate them. It's my experience that Tantric teachings normally given to non-monastic practitioners are not all that dangerous and secretive, but the lama should be able to tell you which are appropriate and which are not. A lama would not give you a teaching that would have the potential of causing you any harm, but rather, would help you decide when you are ready to receive any particular teaching.

Teachings such as White Tara and Medicine Buddha, in my opinion, are not dangerous or secretive at all, and are often given to people who are relatively new in their practice.

I feel sure that a Vajrayana lama acting appropriately would not do anything to put you in any danger.