Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fiercest of Prayers

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited September 2005 in Faith & Religion
Well a few months ago I saw a documentary on NGC on Judaism in Israel... And I was like, WOW.

I meant the show featured Jews singing all day praises of God, in the streets and roads dancing and cheering, praying at the Wailing Wall genuinely, so vigourously in prayer until they cried... Something I don't usually see in any religion, other than maybe the Haj of Muslims...

They really gave me an impression of Jews really grateful to God for giving them life, and the way they mix religion with life is amazing! I almost wanted to convert into a Jew myself after the documentary. From the show, it looks like the Jews in Israel are all a bunch of jovial but yet very spiritual people. Is it really true? Is it really like that in Israel? People getting religious highs all day like they got hooked on drugs or better? I mean, that's amazing. I think even ever-joyful me would be ashamed by the bliss and enthuasism there.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I have seen fervent intensity in prayer, several times as practised by different creeds and people. Heck, in my own innocent - and some may say misguided - youth, I even participated in such a mass-demonstration (forgive the pun) of unified rejoicing and exultation....!

The thing to remember is that, while such fevered praise is astonishing and revelatory, it is merely a momentary expression of faith.... high-powered elation cannot be sustained, it is exhausting - !! And not everyone participating, however carried along they might be by the mood of the moment, is necessarily a 'good' devout and constant practitioner of that faith. Such external demonstration does not always represent what lies within..

And while I see nothing wrong with the occasional whoop of joy - indeed, it can be great fun, and extremely emotionally charged - , there is also much to be said for the peaceful and calm constant of the quiet meditative worshipper.... This for me is far more conducive to a 'state of Grace' than the more energetic explosive gesture. Just my two cents.

But thank you ajani, for the post.
  • Argon.AidArgon.Aid Veteran
    edited September 2005
    To me,The intensity of how one prays does not mirrors ones strength.For example,take Muslim for example.Every Friday we have a congregration at the mosque.During Haj,you see large amounts of peole,thousands all congregating at Meccah.This all shows the amount of faith we have for religion.
    And if you want intensity,some added info is that many Muslims have died at Meccah during their Haj trips.All victims of stampede and rough handling.