Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

breath meditation

edited July 2010 in Meditation
namaste,

do i literally have to think "i am breathing in a long breath" or stuff like that, can i just be aware of my breath?

thanks

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited July 2010
    The verbal thought is unnecessary. What's important is resting in the experience of breathing.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    It is mentioned so in the anapanasati sutta but I think it is the first stage of the practice. It seems to be suggesting to identify the long and short breaths because that way you will keep focus on the breath. It's a method to help keep the focus. However, there is no need to repeat those words mentally, just awareness of the entire experience will be enough. It is important to experience the breath through the entire body and let it get smoother and smoother.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Like the previous posts have said, adding a commentary to your breathing or your thoughts, is not wanted in meditation. Awareness and being fully present in the moment are enough and required.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2010
    namaste,

do i literally have to think "i am breathing in a long breath" or stuff like that, can i just be aware of my breath?

thanks

Words are not necessary. Just awareness of long breath, short breath, gaps between breaths, beginning/middle/end of each breath. Later just sensation of breath only. Sensation gets more and more subtle until it disappears!
  • edited July 2010
    can i stay mindful of holding my breath?
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2010

In mindfulness you just watch and do nothing. Just note and go back to the object of meditation.
  • ListenListen New
    edited July 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Words are not necessary. Just awareness of long breath, short breath, gaps between breaths, beginning/middle/end of each breath. Later just sensation of breath only.

Sensation gets more and more subtle until it disappears!

(emphasis mine): Can you elaborate on this? Do others agree?
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited July 2010
    When i focus on one area of the body and the physical contact of the air in the spot, like ex: nose tip, breath usually "disappears". When i meditate without having focus on a certain area of the body, example: more like just being aware of breathing and all body sensations, that doesnt happend.
  • edited July 2010
    Actually yes.
    There are specific practices that involve exactly that.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    newtech wrote: »
    When i focus on one area of the body and the physical contact of the air in the spot, like ex: nose tip, breath usually "disappears". When i meditate without having focus on a certain area of the body, example: more like just being aware of breathing and all body sensations, that doesnt happend.

NT, this could be because you are focusing on the tip of the nose than the breath. This is usually called "losing the meditation object". When the breath gets smoother, if you are not mindful enough, you lose your grip of the meditation object and it almost feels like the breath has disappeared. It is common when your mindfulness is not as subtle as the breath.

As far as I know, it is best to be aware of the breath thought the entire body. Focusing on a certain part of the body is normally done but as an initial practice to cultivate mindfulness but that is eventually dropped.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Thx for advice.I dont do it like that since i recognize i only develop riguid concentration.