Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Day to day Buddhism

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited September 2005 in Buddhism Today
Day to day Buddhism

I've been reading through the various posts which got me thinking...

Now, mind you, I'm not judging anyone - so don't think that, I'm just thinking.

I've seen a lot of Christians in my day that really liked being a Christian. They liked all the people that attended church, the social activities, being a "part" of something, the pot lucks, etc.

But!, when it came right down to it - when the "rubber hit the road" many of these people fell into the depths of dispair. Now, granted, something like a death in the family or medical tragedy is a very difficult situation to find your way through - but so many people lose their faith and feel that they've been "forsaken" by their god. It seems that many are fair-weather believers.

So, I know some people here have been going through some tough issues. I've got tough issues of my own. I've got issues that can cause me a lot of anger, restlessness, pain and suffering. I find myself at various times going through past scenarios, replaying life scenes, conversations, betrayals, etc.

And then - the Buddha pops to mind. His teachings come into play. I find that I can focus and there is an instant change. I find a calm and a peace realizing that much of my pain is my own doing. I find a refuge that clears my focus immediately.

I can't change someone else. I know that what I seek or what I desire is an attachment I've formed. I hate the pain of the past and wish I could change it or that it wasn't there. But I can't change the past. And why am I dwelling in the past anyway? The past should be a lesson to me in the impermanence of Buddha's teachings.

I'm just was wondering how other people incorporate Buddha's teachings in real life situations that they may want to share with others.

-bf