Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hi!

SarSar
edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone, I'm Sarah! :wavey:

Just actually noticed that there's an intro thread! :blush:

So, to save wasting this thread, I've decided to ask if anyone has any other good resources for learning about Buddhism?!

I am reading 'Food For The Heart' at the moment and am getting quite a lot out of it. I also have 'After the Ecstacy, the Laundry', which I will be reading next!

I would be interested to hear where you guys found to be inspiring reading! :)

Comments

• edited September 2005
    Hi Sarah!

Welcome to our site. Right now I am reading "If The Buddha Came to Dinner" and it is an awesome book.

Also, if you look in this thread, you will find tons of information out there:

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11

I started there and am always finding great information. It's good to have you here!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Hi Sarah,

Welcome!

Loads of books recommended here. Too many, prolly!

Perhaps we should have a site librarian who'll list all the books - and don't look at me!
  • edited September 2005
    Good idea, Simon. My vote is for you! :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Actually, it's not a book, but if you have a faster internet connection, Elohim put some dhamma talk links out here for us.

I went to the first one and there are talks regarding Right Action, Speech, Concentration, etc. that you can listen to...

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Hello Sarah, nice to have you with us.
    Gosh, there are so many books - where to start?

The 'Awakening' trilogy, by Lama Surya Das, (Awakening the Buddha Within, Awakening to the Sacred and Awakening the Buddhist Heart.)
    Also by the same Author, 'letting Go of the Person You Used to Be'.

Anything by His Holiness the Dalai Lama - although some of his discussions can be a bit Convoluted. I don't say that to be patronising, but I find his work a little difficult to follow at times, if always educational.

Books by Thich Nhat Hahn.
    And I'm sure, plenty more besides.... keep posting, keep asking!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Welcome Sarah,

I must say that Food for the Heart is a wonderful book. I really enjoy Ajahn Chah's wisdom, compassion, and humour.

Good resorce: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/begin.html

:)

Jason
  • SarSar
    edited September 2005
    Thank you, YogaMama, Simon, bf, Federica and Jason! :)

I will certainly take a read of that thread, YogaMama - it seems like a great place to start! Not sure why I didn't think to look there! :buck:

Simon, I think i'll second the vote for you for librarian! ;)

bf, I would love to hear that, but sadly, I have a silly dial-up connection that is generally soooo s-l-o-w! Maybe ill get broadband in time! :)

Federica, I'll check those books out, thanks! :)

Jason, Food For the Heart is very compelling reading! I'm going to check the site you recommended too!

Thank you all! :)