Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Importance of meditation review/insights

edited July 2010 in Meditation
So, I was wondering if reviewing meditation sessions can be as important as the meditation itself. At least from my experience, these post-sitting insights into our mind/body/reality can be a big bonus boost in our practice, they almost seem necessary. Like today, I just realized that my progress is backtracking because I'm pressuring myself too much into it.
How important do you guys and gals think these insights are?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    They're important at the time, but you shouldn't hang on to them. That's how you get stuck in technique, instead or benefits and results.
    A transitory experience is just that.
    A transitory experience.
    See, note, let go.

There's no point going over it any more than saying to yourself
    "Ok, that happened, inwardly digest, see what happens next time."

That's it.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010

I think insights, as a result of reviewing what you did, are part of any learning process and are important, but they come naturally. It's part of the road, so to speak. As you read, meditate and practice the Dharma they will continue to appear.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    kukine wrote: »

Very important, but probably best reflected on outside meditation.

P
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    kukine wrote: »

I've found that meditative insights aren't important, they are a simple indication that sight is expanding. The more easily you just simply let go of them, the more able you are to have those insights off the cushion, when interacting with others or what not. If you have an insight and lay claim to it "look at what I discovered!!" then you're closing the view back into a self-view. Does that make sense?

So on one hand, they're great, congrats, yeehaw, digest, its working!... and on another, let go and move on, there is more to do, and by letting go you naturally sustain that connection to deeper levels of wisdom.

With warmth,

Matt
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Where would "reviewing" and judging our meditation practice differ? Is there a way where you can neutrally go over what insights you reached during your sessions without attaching a value to them, whether positive of negative?

I think reviewing would inevitably lead to judging and this in turn can be a hindrance to a blooming meditation practice.
  • edited July 2010
    I see your point, lightwithin. When I think about insights from 'reviewing' sits I mean learning about the mind and its habits. They kind of just pop up like "hey, I'm seeing a pattern here," which the mind does naturally. Such as when I found out that when hanging on to the breath was easier, my mind got bored and wanted a challenge, so it plays music, memories, and movie clips.