Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion meditation

edited July 2010 in Meditation
Hello!

I've been doing tong-len meditation and it has helped me develop more compassion a bit.
Does anyone recommend another meditation that helps develop compassion?
I'm just trying different meditations to help develop compassion and which one works more for me.

Thank you for your help,
Snowpaw

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Yes, "real-living-time" compassion. When someone is snapping at you (or any other offensive behavior) ... observe. Remind yourself, that just like you, all beings want happiness. And this snappish person is just trying to find happiness by trying to throw off some of their unhappiness. Look for compassion as a response.

Okay, I know YOU'RE the target that they're throwing at. That really makes it tough. But also, easier ... Observe yourself too. Note your wish to find happiness by trying to get of some of your unhappiness by punching their nose in (of course, you won't DO that). Easy to be compassionate for ourselves and how we are feeling. Transfer some of that compassion to how you see the other person.

The more you do it, the easier it becomes (caveat: not always!).
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Snowpaw wrote: »
    Hello!

Does anyone recommend another meditation that helps develop compassion?

You might want to check out metta bahavana, development of loving kindness.
    Instructions here: http://www.feedback.nildram.co.uk/richardebbs/meditation/metta.htm

How are you finding Tonglen?

P
  • edited July 2010
    It's OK. I don't cry when I do it though, out of compassion for all beings. I mostly focus doing tonglen on my 'enemies' first, then my family and friends and then all beings in general including animals. But I do find that my eyes water a little bit which is a good sign considering I didn't have any of that when I first did Tonglen meditation.
    edited July 2010
    Snowpaw wrote: »
    It's OK. I don't cry when I do it though, out of compassion for all beings. I mostly focus doing tonglen on my 'enemies' first, then my family and friends and then all beings in general including animals. But I do find that my eyes water a little bit which is a good sign considering I didn't have any of that when I first did Tonglen meditation.

That sounds like progress. I think these practices are about small steps, we shouldn't beat ourselves up if we don't automatically feel loads of compassion. Sometimes a bit of acceptance, a kinder attitude, is the first step.

P
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I have yet to try Metta meditation (or Tonglen) and I have only read about it a little, but some of the experiences the people describe make me a bit nervous about trying it. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and give it a try one of these days when I have the time and motivation.

I don't see myself crying or having over the top experiences with it, but it's still a little bit unsettling to hear how powerful it can be for others.
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I never had to cry during meditation, if it happens it will, but I never sit with any anticipation....any at all....at least I try.
    edited July 2010
    I don't see myself crying or having over the top experiences with it, but it's still a little bit unsettling to hear how powerful it can be for others.

It's hard to generalise - some people don't feel much atall.;)
    Anyway, you can take these practises at your own pace.

P
  • edited July 2010
    One should be cautious of practicing Tonglen without offline group and teacher input, even though its recommended on the internet. Sometimes very impressionable people can imagine that they are literally taking in all the suffering and illness of others upon themselves, and then they become fearful.

Metta practice is just as good for improving kindness and compassion towards others.

I know it was mentioned previously by porpoise, but I'd like to add this additional link for Metta practice which also mentions The Four Sublime States.

http://www.buddhanet.net/metta.htm

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • edited July 2010
    Thank you it's very helpful!
  • edited July 2010
    Hi Snowpaw,

An everyday 'engaged' compassion or metta meditation I regularly do is when I'm walking in the busy streets in the city where I live. Instead of judging people (which we often do almost automatically, at least I do...) I try looking at the people through loving eyes and I realize then that everyone that I see will at one point, or even does so at this moment, suffer and I wish them luck, good health, strength and well/being. I feel very compassionate when I do so. I can imagine what they feel or will feel as a few years ago my brother suddenly died. Wasn´t that always in other lives and families?

Or when a plane flies over, I look at it and say in myself ´May you arrive safely and be happy, may the crew arrive safely and be happy´, or when I´m in my car, or when I´m in my classroom (I´m a teacher) in front of my pupils, ´may you all lead happy lives and may you be able to cope with your suffering, now and in the future´etc. etc. There are lots of situations in your life in which you can practice this.

May you be happy and healthy...

Pieter