Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Afterlife?

edited June 2005 in Buddhism Basics
As I know nothing really about buddhism other than what I read on that "So You want to be Buddhist?" site that somebody posted, i'm wondering, I know Brian has told me that it's not a religion but a path for life to follow but does this incorporate any thoughts for afterlife? Is there any thought process on that or is it just kind of once your life is over you're done?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited December 2004
    How can life be over? Life is energy, and energy cannot be destroyed. We learned that in 7th grade science.

Just as christians and other theists believe that there is some sort of heaven or hell, so do most buddhists.

The goal is to become a perfect human being, to acheive enlightenment. This obviously doesn't happen in most people's lives. Therefore, when they die, the life energy needs to have another chance at corporeal existence to try it again. You are reborn, according to your accumulated kammic energy (karma in english). If your karma is horrible (say, you were hitler in a previous life) you are "set back" quite a ways, and you are born into a suffering existence (say, as a chicken at a KFC farm or something), but you have a chance to live slightly better until you can reach the highest form of life again (human, we assume - although some monks believe it may be dog or something like that) whereins you have the conscious ability to improve your karma until the point you reach enlightenment.

Okay, put it this way:

Heaven == NOT being reborn again, acheive Nibbana (Nirvana) a state of total eternal peace and serenity

Hell == Constantly being born again and again, suffering through life in a variety of ways.

This is my limited, novice understanding of things. It gets much more detailed and deeper than this, and I'm sure someone more educated than me can explain it much more clearly and convincingly.

Basically it boils down to "we believe in reincarnation" but I hate using the word believe. It's observable. People on earth can recall past lives with clarity and convincing detail. There are many documented cases of this.
  • edited December 2004
    I have some serious issues with the afterlife/heaven/hell... it jsut doesn't seem plausible to me that once people have lived their lives that they just dissapear from the physical realm to move onto some higher/lower/other dimension. Can you imagine how many people would be in heaven and hell at this point since "god created the world" (if that was the case as christians believe) ? Scientifically that theory just doesn't make much sense.

What does make sense to me is the repetition of the human experience, ie. reincarnation. Its almost like the conservation of energy; souls cannot be created or destroyed, only transfered into different forms.

At least thats my semi-scientific thoughts on the matter.
  • edited December 2004
    Not to insult anyones beliefs; but alot of what you have to believe to be a devout Christian is the reason I cannot be one, I can't believe things that seem ridiculous to me.

And reincarnation seems the same way, that magically you turn into a new being because of your spirt or life energy or whatever.

My bet is that you die, you die, that's it, drab as it may sound, some things just are what they are, ya know.
    edited December 2004
    I agree with you for the most part. Part of our suffering comes from the attachment to the idea that "we" want to continue on with "our" lives after we die. Like, if we are indeed reincarnated, the concept that we become something or someone totally different and foreign to us is very discomforting, because it's like "well what about all my memories and my loves and my emotions and my experiences".....

It's part of the lesson, man... The lesson of impermenance. NOTHING is forever, therefore there's no point in being attached to any of it. The concept of reincarantion frightens me because I am weak and I am attached to all those things. The thought of losing them all scares me.
  • edited December 2004
    Well, for me, that would be a real tough concept to let go of; attachments that is, like most of life is defined through attachments: friends, family, relationships, jobs, your home. This is interesting to me, but I definitly could never cast away all the things I'm attached to.
  • edited December 2004
    Therin lies the difficulty Camman. While technically anyone could free themselves from their attatchments, in reality it is difficult to do this a lead an normal contributing life. This is exactly why monks are supported because they have given up much of the comforts of our society to focus themselves on achieving enlightenment.
    edited December 2004
    None of us expect to give up everything. If we gave up everything, I wouldn't be here right now. I wouldn't be able to do this site, I wouldn't have a business, I wouldn't have a family.

That's the beauty, the true essence of Buddhism, to me. The fact that anybody can acheive enlightenment. You do NOT have to "give up everything" to become enlightened. The more you give up, the easier your task gets, but as tycho was saying in another thread, sometimes it can be the opposite. Being attached to the idea of giving up on everything can also hinder your progress. Some people might go a little nuts, you know, and say like "I'M GONNA GIVE IT ALL UP. I'M GONNA TORTURE MYSELF."

The Buddha himself did this. He chose the life of asceticism. He chose a life of starvation, nothingness, and self-deprivement.

After nine years of that, he realized how much it sucked. He thought "this is pointless. I am accomplishing nothing except the wasting away of my own body. How does this do anybody any good?" And that's when he discovered the middle path.

The middle path is exactly what it sounds like. Do everything in moderation. Live life in moderation. Always take the middle path in life. If you can do this, you will reach enlightenment.
  • edited December 2004
    As a Christian I believe in Hevean and Hell. I also believe that the only way to those are through Jesus Christ being your Lord and Savior. I am not here to argue over what i believe in or what you believe in but I jsut wanted to share what I feel about the afterlife
    edited December 2004
    while we disagree on the jesus part, I'm sure that with enough discussion, we could find parallels between the christian concept of heaven and hell and the generally accepted buddhist concept.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2004
    Depends on which Buddhist tradition you're talking about, I suppose. I think the concepts of heaven and hell are late constructs of Christianity to make people conform to an idea of moral rectitude. They seem very artificial and stylized to me, and a very ineffective form of reward or punishment if there is an active god presiding over them. You create your own heaven or hell out of your life based primarily on the choices you make. What happens after life seems inconsequential.
    edited December 2004
    Perfect answer. Thank you for that wisdom, Matt. :D
  • edited December 2004
    the following link : http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism/q&aledi.htm

has a discourse by The Venerable Ledi Sayadaw on the question of karma.

read more from the actual website but i shall copy part of it here :

Question 3: On the death of a sentient being, is there a 'soul' that wanders about at will?

ANSWER: When a sentient being leaves one existence, it is reborn either as a human being, a Deva, a Brahma, an inferior animal, or as a denizen of one of the regions of hell. The sceptics and the ignorant people hold that there are intermediate stages--- Antarabhava--- between these; and that there are beings who are neither of the human, the Deva or the Brahma worlds, nor of any one of the states of existences recognized in the Scriptures,--- but are in an intermediate stage. Some assert that these transitional beings are possessed of the five khandhas: *

Some assert that these beings are detached 'souls' or spirits with no material envelopes and some again, that they are possessed of the faculty of seeing like Devas and further, that they have the power of changing at will, at short intervals, from one to any of the existences mentioned above. Others again hold the fantastic and erroneous theory that these beings can and do, fancy themselves to be in other than the existence they are actually in; thus, to take for example one such of these suppositious beings. He is a poor person —and yet he fancies himself to be rich. He may be in hell—and yet he fancies himself to be in the land of Devas, and so on. This belief in intermediate stages between existences is false, and is condemned in the Buddhist teachings. A human being in this life who by his Kamma is destined to be a human being in the next will be re-born as such; one who by his Kamma is destined to be a deva in the next will appear in the land of devas , and one whose future life is to be in hell, will be found in one of the regions of hell in the next existence.

The idea of an entity or "soul" or spirit "going", "coming" , " changing", "transmigrating" from one existence to another is that entertained by the ignorant and the materialistic, and is certainly not justified by the Dhamma: there is no such things "going", "coming", "changing", etc.,, as between existences. The conception which is in accordance with the Dhamma may perhaps be illustrated by the picture thrown out by the cinematograph, or the sound emitted by the gramophone, and their relation to the film or the sound—box and disc respectively.

For example, a human being dies and is reborn in the land of devas. Though these two existences are different, yet the link or continuity between the two at death is unbroken in point of time. And so in the case of a man whose future existence is to be the nethermost hell. The distance between hell and the abode of man appears to be great. Yet, in point of time, the continuity of " passage " from the one existence to the other is unbroken, and no intervening matter or space can interrupt the trend of this man's kamma from the world of human beings to the regions of hell. The "passage" from one existence to another is instantaneous, and the transition is infinitely quicker than the blink of an eyelid or a lightning-flash.

Kamma determines the realm of rebirth and the state of existence in such realm of all transient beings (in the cycle of existences which have to be traversed till the attainment at last of Nibbana)

Kammas in their results are manifold, and may be effected in many ways. Religious offerings (Dana) may obtain for a man the privilege of rebirth as a human being, or as a deva, in one of the six deva-worlds according to the degree of the merit of the deeds performed. And so with the observance of religious duties (sila). The five jhanas or states of enlightenment, are found in the Brahma worlds or Brahma-lokas up to the summit, the twentieth Brahma world. And so with bad deeds, the perpetrators of which are to be found, grade by grade, down to the lowest depths of the nethermost hell. Thus, our kammas, past, present and future, were, are, and will ever be the sum-total of our deeds, good, indifferent or bad, according as our actions are good, indifferent or bad As will be seen from the foregoing, our kammas determine the changes in our existences.

"Evil spirits" are therefore not beings in an intermediate or transitional stage of existence, but are really very inferior beings, and they belong to one of the following five realms of existence, which are namely World of men; World of devas, the regions of Hell; --Animals below men ; and Petas.

They are very near the world of human beings. As their condition is unhappy, they are popularly considered as evil spirits. It is not true that all who die in this world are reborn as evil spirits, though human beings who die sudden or violent deaths are apt to be reborn in these lowest worlds of devas.

* Khandha: The 5 'groups' are called the 5 aspects in which the Buddha has summed up all the physical and mental phenomena of existence, and which appear to be the ignorant man as his Ego, or personality, to wit: (1) the Corporeality-group rupakkhandha), (2) the Feeling—group (Vedana-kkhandha). (3) the Perception-group (sanna-kkhandha), (4) the Mental—Formation group (Sankhara-kkhandha), (5) the Consciousness-group (vinnana— kkhandha). "Whatever there exists of corporeal things, whether one's own or external, gross or subtle, lofty or low, far or near, all that belongs to the Corporeality-group. Whatever there exists of feeling ... of perception . . of mental formations ... of consciousness . . all that belongs to the Consciousness-group '' (S VIII. 8f) ("Buddhist Dictionary", Nyanatiloka.)
  • edited December 2004
    This is, atleast, sort of related, I didnt know if I should start a new thread, but I came across this page while google searching for.....something else....and I found myself reading the entire thing:

http://www.av1611.org/hell.html

There's all kinds of, 'propaganda' as I would call it, all over the internet. I certainly am not meaning to put down anyone's religion, as this is my own personal thought after reading such material, that some of the 'evidence' given about where we go, what happens and how a place could exist such as this just seems pretty ludicrous to me, this 'diagram' for example.

Saying that because the earth's core is molten it proves that references to hell thousands of years ago are being 'proven by science'

Xearth2.jpg

I am worrying much less and less about some of these ideals that were instilled in my head at a young age because now that I have an analytical mind capable of critical thinking it just seems crazy to me.

Is there anybody on here that doesn't consider themself a real devout Christian but still have ideas of "Heaven and Hell" in their mind? Only curious because it seemed to me that I was this way for a long time and am finally being able to see these things for what they are worth.
    edited December 2004
    That's exactly how I was when I was in my late teens/early twenties. I started saying to myself "This is just nuts. Seriously, how can people believe this?"

Finally I was able to quash the final lingering doubts and fears that a lifetime of catholic upbringing had poisoned me with, and felt so much lighter and happier. The best part was that I felt free - free of fear and guilt.
  • edited April 2005
    Its funny how science always come back when you least expect it. Buddhists view of heaven is nirvana, enlightment. Buddha himslef never gave much thought to heaven nor hell but tended to focus on achieving enlightenment here and that the feeling of awareness be nirvana. Christians could have very well adopted this view and the Orthodox changed it to say one life, one death. But overall, heaven and hell should be more of a mental thing but they tend to come to those who achieve it here. The afterlife is what you make of it while you are here.
  • edited April 2005
    To my understanding, heaven, hell, afterlife, and beforelife are the only the concepts, techniques, or mechanism to mentally lure* (please read note at the end) us all to, at least, try to listen, remember, and think along about Buddha teachings. If I tell you now that Buddha could see heaven and hell or can see the afterlife, you will ask me to seek help. However, my telling would draw attentions from many people two thousand years ago.

Although Buddha’s teachings are too complicated than I can explain, in short, he wanted to prevent believers to commit sin by bringing a story or a vision of afterlife (hell or heaven) to them. By making a vivid comparison about hell and heaven, Buddha accomplished his goal by having his followers to listen, remember, believe, and think along about his teachings. Ultimately, those followers led a peaceful life. And, thus, they passed on Buddha’s teachings to many others until today.

NOTE: It is not my poor choice of word when I use “lure”. Imagine yourself two thousand ago when man believed in animal and human sacrifices. If you simply told them not to do so, for it was a sin, would they even listen to you? I did not think so. By luring into a vivid images of heaven (in the sky with many lovely and beautiful things) and hell (down below earth with many scary and ugly things), Buddha took all attention from them, and he began to insert his teachings into his stories about those heaven and hell images.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    The concept of re-birth or re-incarnation are as old as the hills. If you examine the original and ancient history of any ancient beliefs and creeds - including Christianity - there was a strong stream of thought giving emphasis to a re-birth through particular practise or worship. Heaven and Hell were introduced as far back as the 14th century as a means of controlling the masses and co-ercing them into believing that Sin had a price. What was the point of behaving impeccably if you could come back and do it all again? Besides, Christianity had to distance itself from the prevalent pagan beliefs, so it had no choice but to come up with more strict entry requirements.
    I know this elderly Jewish lady living in Chelsea, who saw her family decimated by the Nazis in the war. Only she and her brother survived.
    her brother was subsequently murdered by a mugger. Her husband died in a car accident, her eldest daughter was raped at knifepoint, and her son is a hardened drug-addict. If anyone is actually living through Hell at the moment, it is she.
    Yet I know her to be one of the most loving, forgiving, stoïc, resolute and patient people I know. She does voluntary work for the homeless, takes in countless stray cats & dogs to neuter, feed and to re-house, she is a wonderful friend and neighbour to those close to her, and never says no to anyone. She would put many so-called pious religious people to shame. But she doesn't practise Judaism. She is an angel and Heaven-sent to those around her. There is your Hell. That is how to manifest Heaven, here & now.
  • edited April 2005
    Heaven and hell are what you make of it. Jesus in his teachings said that the kingdom of God is nin you. Not in the sky or in the sea but rather in you. You have to find peace and love before you can even dream the thought of an afterlife. Hell is in a sense is desire whether noble or evil. You desire one thing then another and so on. It is desire that is causing suffering. Both Buddha and Jesus stated this. Heaven and hell are what you make of them. No one can put you through hell if you don't accpet what they are doing and no one can help you find peace and love but you. Once you do that, share that love with others and put heaven on earth.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    I couldn't agree with you more. How many times have I heard people say to me that their current experiences are 'Hell on Earth' or that some such holiday location is 'Paradise?' It all begins in your head, folks, with what we tell ourselves.....:crazy:
  • edited May 2005
    I guess it depends on what you consider "you" or "I". As far as I am concerned, the closest I can get to describing what "I" am is my thoughts/memories. These are always changing, and in some ways I am almost totally a different person than who I was except that the karma of who I was and what I have done has left it's imprint on who I am and will be. However, once I am dead my brain will shut down and decompose. My thoughts and memories will be gone except for the effects they have had. Who "I" am will be gone like a computer program after you've melted down the memory it's stored on.

Personally, I do hope that there is some sort of immortal soul that would carry on. If there is, I'll be pleasantly surprised - assuming that the afterlife isn't too bad. I don't see any reason to believe this, though, except for the fact that I find it a pleasant notion. In the meantime, I do fear death but assuming that death is how I expect, my over-attachment to life is the only problem since it sometimes interferes with my current mood (thinking about death a lot is really depressing). In a way, death might be nirvana for everyone - no thoughts, no attachment. However, it is the acceptance of our impending deaths in this life that really matters. As unorthodox as my beliefs might be (and they are really more like theories, thoughts), I find Buddhism to still be very relevant and helpful for me. In the end, we'll all know what happens after death - or not.
    edited May 2005
    It's odd that you should choose those words - "thinking about death a lot is really depressing." Buddha always said that Death was his Guru, and urged his disciples to meditate upon it.... there is a disciplined meditation in Dzozhen Buddhism which actually encourages meditation in a graveyard, in order to overcome the demons that haunt and frighten you.... if one can covercome the greatest fear of all, then anything else pales into insignificance. All fear is mind-made... we fear fire, because we know it hurts, sure...that's the kind of fear that can save your life. I'm talking about the mentally projected fear, the one that holds us back from progressing.... Don't dwell on that which is unanswerable, we have enough 'real' stuff to fill our Minds without going into areas which may just frustrate and distract. What better moment to enjoy to the full than right now. This is what Christ meant in his lilies of the field speech. They neither toil nor spin.... they just - are. happy and content to just - be. Do likewise!
  • edited May 2005
    Easier said than done ;) I have thought about death quite a bit and while I know it shouldn't bother me, it does. The funny thing is, I don't feel like living forever (this life or next) would be any more desirable. I guess it's just human, though, to fear death. I hope that I will overcome this fear, but it is definitely hard.
    edited May 2005
    I was talking to a good friend some time ago, who in her studies and research into Buddhism, came across the words "Enlightenment takes Effort". I guess it's pretty damn much the same thing with anything worth going for.... Indeed, it's one of the Eightfold Path precepts (Origin: Latin - 'praeceptum' ‘something advised’).
    ... I remember them like this....

Right VISA BEAM...

V = View
    I = Intent
    S = Speech
    A = Aim (or Intention....)

B = Business (or work, career....)
    E = (our friend) Effort
    A = Awareness
    M = Meditation (reflection, cogitation)

However, one old lady remembers them as "Right Everything" and if that don't cover it, nothing will! :)
  • edited May 2005
    VISA BEAM, I like that! Thanks.
    edited May 2005
    Just visualise a wonderful ray of light shining out of your credit card.... which I don't have.... because if I did, I'd wipe out the national debt in a week....!! :o:lol:
  • edited May 2005
    Im a "christian" and thought id put forth my opinion on this matter of life and death or heaven and hell. After reading what was being posted I'd have to say, the idea of reincarnation seems most realistic and even more beleivable. If one actually sits down and discuss' the idea of going to the pearly gates of heaven it seems quiet ridiculous, and I apologize if I may offend somebody by this. Heaven to me seems more like a story that people tell themselves almost like a comfort blanket of some variety. Heaven to me is non existant, and so is god, and although this seems like quiet a conflict to many people, it is true. God cannot be proven to exist, and then if it is, then what made god, and the loop continues. Im sorry I cannot finish what I have to say, but I must be off
    edited May 2005
    Angelus, hello, and welcome! Nice to have your point to ponder...;
    The notion of re-birth was something taken as normal, even by christians, right up to the 14th century or so.... then the big 'I am' folks came along, and in order to exert pressure and fear on the masses, taught that re-birth was only possible in heaven and by God's will. Why bother having to behave, if you can always try again? is what they feared, so they literally scared folks out of their withs by threatening Fire & Brimstone... right up to the last generation, God was seen as a God of mercy, but only if you toed the line..... :)
  • edited May 2005
    im not so sure i truely believe in reincarnation, and i certianly dont believe in heaven/hell.
    the reasons why im not so sure about reincarnation are:
    A. no one can prove or disprove it, leaving us to rely on faith
    B. I dont understand why people cant accept that maybe when we die, THATS IT. ZILCH, END, PRESTO, we dont know it just like we dont know what was going on before we were born. when we die we are not alive and before we are born we are not alive. IF, indeed reincarnation is true, we wouldnt know it anyways. (see D.) essentially what we call ourselfs, our souls, our thoughts feelings emotions ideas, our conciousness, would be erased... we would have no memory of it therefore there would BE no us.
    C. IF reincarnation is true, then where does new life come from? i mean, hypothetically if microscopic plankton were the first life forms, and all they ate was sugar water and sun rays, where did their "existance/soul" come from? when they reproduce where does the new lifes existance/soul come from? other life? there was no other life....
    D. the concept doesnt make sense, I cant come back as anything because what i call I, what i am, this body... will die, and if i reincarnate and dont remember anything about my past life, my mind will die too. whatever i called ME, whatever i thought was me will cease to exist as far as i know it. of course my energy wont DISAPPEAR, ur right we learned this in grade seven, but it will CHANGE, not from the thoughts and ideas i have now but into other kinds of energy that will disipate and ultimately end

maybe buddha was using reincarnation as a metaphor, to say that there IS nothing in the afterlife because "I" am nothing in the afterlife, just like "I" was nothing in the beforelife. a SOUL is a concept, not able to be proven or disproven, leaving us to once again rely on faith
  • edited May 2005
    Thank you, Indecline. You found a way to communicate the thoughts swirling around in my head that I have not been glib enough to say myself. The whole concept defies logic. I think these past-life regression scams just play upon people's desire to feel important and relevant to history...funny how everyone lived during famous times that comprised a total of about 5% of historical civilization. Believing in reincarnation without any real, hard evidence seems to me to be based in fear and attachment to the idea of etenal life.
    I'm open to being convinced otherwise (as always).
  • edited May 2005
    Hello to all!

I'm new here refered by a wandering boddhisattva. I have an interesting way I like to explain reincarnation/birth /death.

Find a blank sheet of paper. penetrate deeply what it took to get the paper in your hands. water from the clouds to the soil in which a seed lays. nutrients from the soil. tree grows. man cuts down tree.....you get the idea. this is only a minute fraction of what it took. now do you think this is the final incarnation of the paper/rain/soil......? If you do then find a match, light the paper on fire watch very closley as it burns. what do you see?. is the paper gone? no. it is now ash, soot and smoke. it did not dissapear. it was not destroyed. it has simply incarnated, if you will, into its next state. now if you like to imagine the ash may go back to the earth and fertilize the soil, the smoke goes to the sky...do you see where we are going? the paper does not have to become paper again to be reincarnated, it can become an intricate part of thousands of things. all of this can be traced in a great circle of the 10,000 things (lao-tzu) the fallacy is that the paper would remember its past as paper. In true Zen fasshion I'll tell you that you defiled it by seeing it as paper in the first place. do not defile it again by placing expectations on its next state. all this as with you.

A deep and profound ^gassho^ to you all
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited May 2005
    Welcome, Wolfscalissi!

I hope you find this forum more 'user' friendly than that at that 'other' place!
    edited May 2005
    hello Wolfscalissi, and a great big typical warm and sincere huggy welcome to our modest but wunnerful site!!
    Thank you for that extemely insightful and illuminating thought.... "It was so good, that we're all enlightened now, and we can go home - !!" :lol:

Seriously, it is a rather nice way of seeing things, and very helpful..... what was the tree before it found the ash.....?
    I also read the comment from your nephew. frankly, it leaves us all behind - !
    Are you really a monk-to-be? When is this happening, then?

Thanks for coming in, it's nice to see you here. :bigclap:
  • edited May 2005
    Thank you Federica. I am gratefull to be here. Monk-to-be is an aspiration I have. I have a burning desire to be of as great a service in this life as I can. I realize that I do not need to be a monk to achieve this, so mabey its just my conditioned mind acting out . but it is more likely my true calling.
    before I can truly take my vows I have a daughter to raise. untill then its laity for me! Thanks for the welcome. hello lunatic. thank you for the guidance.

^gassho^
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited May 2005
    Raising children can be zen training in and of itself!
    edited May 2005
    HH The Dalai Lama said that it's a lot more challenging for a lay person to follow the 8-fold path, the 5 precepts and the Dharma than it is for a monk or nun..... they are within a community that is purposely geared towards doing just that.... the Lay person has a far more intense 'struggle' to keep on keepin' on - !!

You can say that again, Zen....!!
  • edited May 2005
    Camman wrote:
    This is, atleast, sort of related, I didnt know if I should start a new thread, but I came across this page while google searching for.....something else....and I found myself reading the entire thing:

http://www.av1611.org/hell.html

There's all kinds of, 'propaganda' as I would call it, all over the internet. I certainly am not meaning to put down anyone's religion, as this is my own personal thought after reading such material, that some of the 'evidence' given about where we go, what happens and how a place could exist such as this just seems pretty ludicrous to me, this 'diagram' for example.

Saying that because the earth's core is molten it proves that references to hell thousands of years ago are being 'proven by science'

Xearth2.jpg

I am worrying much less and less about some of these ideals that were instilled in my head at a young age because now that I have an analytical mind capable of critical thinking it just seems crazy to me.

Is there anybody on here that doesn't consider themself a real devout Christian but still have ideas of "Heaven and Hell" in their mind? Only curious because it seemed to me that I was this way for a long time and am finally being able to see these things for what they are worth.
    I am experiencing the same difficulties in trying to detach myself from the Christian notions of heaven and hell. Being raised Catholic and attending Catholic schools, these concepts have been ingrained in me, it's almost as if they've manifested into a reality of their own. Although my rational mind rejects the idea of heaven and hell, it still manages to overshadow and hinder upon any new belief system I explore (reincarnation). I guess you could say "they" were successful in enforcing morality through fear, because it's nearly impossible to ignore. Having said all that, I am new to this site and to Buddhism as well. I am desperately trying to let go of my previous religious beliefs and approach Buddhism with a clear perspective, but it's much easier said than done. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • edited May 2005
    Hello Maria,
    tho I'm sure this has been addressed many times here. lets try again. First you have a visual image in your head of what heaven and hell look like. where did you get these images? ahh from the writtings and teachings of men who have never seen the places they are describing. this is dangerous for several reasons. not to deny any religion but you said you were a christian. what does jesus look like? (same answer as above) now this is attachment to non-reality. the danger is that what if jesus/god/alah...etc were to walk up to you on the street. being attached to your inncorect self manifested vision you would walk right by him/her. this applys to all things. once you say "I know": what this is ,looks like, tastes like etc you have closed the door on your window to reality. I am abbreviating this as much as I can. now secondly to follow a rule/commandment just because you fear some retribution is not any where near morality. the jist of this is that if they changed the rule would you still live by it? obidience is not morality. if you are in fear of a rule then you dont understand it OR ,and this is big, it shouldnt be a law in the first place. as a Buddhist my path is to live the precepts, BE the precepts, then there will never arise in my mind doubt or fear that I am doing the right thing. true compassion (this is all morality is anyway) is the natural human state. if we uncover this we can be free from the dogma created by men, and their manipulation of religions.

lifting the veil of knowledge, I am.

^gassho^
  • edited May 2005
    Hello Wolfscalissi and Maria22!

I am Adiana and I want to welcome you both here. I look forward to getting to know you both.

Adiana :):)
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks wolfscalissi, it definitely makes a lot of sense to me. I suppose you just have to give it time.

As far as morality is concerned I couldn't agree with you more, it should come from within and not be forced because you fear the consequence. However this crucial point seems to be overlooked in Christianity in particular, where the teachings stress that you are rewarded for you're morality. In turn one of the main motives for acting in a moral way (although you may be a moral person anyway) is to be rewarded in heaven. It doesn't emphasize the fact that morality and compassion should be rewarding in themselves, and not require further recognition.
  • edited May 2005
    Hi Adiana! nice to meet you. :)
  • edited May 2005
    Beatifuly said Maria, compassion is its own reward. To seek something with an agenda is sure to send you in for another round ;)

^gassho^
    edited June 2005
    Very well put, Maria22, and very nice to meet you..... :)