Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Music for Meditation

mugzymugzy Veteran
edited August 2010 in Meditation
What do you think about using music for meditation? I know that some people are taught by their teacher or tradition not to use music, or prefer not to for whatever reason. Mostly I've heard it can become a distraction. Since I live in a loud area there's always noise drifting in from outside, it usually feels right to put on sounds that supports a meditative environment.

For me, it's much easier to meditate if I have music that fits the mood. It really helps me enter a relaxed state and I am able to focus my mind without focusing so much on the music. Since I have a problem with songs / lyrics getting stuck in my head, putting on chanting or new age type stuff helps to stop the "loops" by putting positive sounds in their place.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Hey mugzy. Personally I would try not to use music in meditation as it may become something you get used to, attached to. I use to find all of these noises outside very distracting to the point I could not meditate unless I had silence. More recently I have learned to just accept them and my mind does not keep leaping to these noises so much. With time you can train the mind to stay focused with these noises going on around you. I still find it hard sometimes if there are many loud noises, but if say for example a dog is barking and I can hear 2 people having a conversation, I can maintain a still mind a lot of the time.

I have considered using peaceful music before, but I do not really see much of a point personally. Keep paticing and meditating with distractions, I use to hate it but see it as a chance to progress now. Just mak peace with them, realise you have no control over it and let it go, tom :)
  • edited August 2010
    I only use music when I have a song STUCK in my head that is playing over and over....
    then I listen to some meditation music for about 5 min....the song in my head stops...then I shut off the music....weird for some I am sure but it works for me.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    What do you think about using music for meditation? I know that some people are taught by their teacher or tradition not to use music, or prefer not to for whatever reason. Mostly I've heard it can become a distraction. Since I live in a loud area there's always noise drifting in from outside, it usually feels right to put on sounds that supports a meditative environment.

For me, it's much easier to meditate if I have music that fits the mood. It really helps me enter a relaxed state and I am able to focus my mind without focusing so much on the music. Since I have a problem with songs / lyrics getting stuck in my head, putting on chanting or new age type stuff helps to stop the "loops" by putting positive sounds in their place.
    To me it sounds like a trip to a day spa ("relaxed state," "meditative environment," "much easier to meditate," "fits the mood,"...), not a meditation session.

It's not so much a worry of it becoming a distraction (there's plenty of those no matter what you do, that's the point), as it is of becoming dependent on it.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    For me, it's much easier to meditate if I have music that fits the mood. It really helps me enter a relaxed state .....
    Meditation is not a mood or a state, it is the practice of awareness in all moods and states. Relaxation and agitation are conditions, awarenness of them is unconditioned. Through unconditioned awareness we find peace in all conditions. That is the mark.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    To me it sounds like a trip to a day spa ("relaxed state," "meditative environment," "much easier to meditate," "fits the mood,"...), not a meditation session.

I should clarify that I don't always use music to meditate. I should also add that where I live is extremely noisy and chaotic, but I do meditate without music most of the time. I work in a very negative, disruptive environment and it's hard not to take that home with me. Having serene music helps me transition into a place where I am not so stressed and tense. I can use the tension as the object of meditation, but it's not always so productive as I spend most of the meditation "riding the stress" so to speak.

Sometimes it helps if I'm able to use music as an object of meditation, and for me calming, new-agey stuff is what helps me to relax. I suffer from extreme anxiety and sometimes it helps to be able to hear positive sounds that support a positive frame of mind. I know it's not all about relaxing, but there is an element of quieting the mind involved in meditation. Using sound as the object of meditation has been a very useful tool to me.

I do agree that it's wise not to become dependent on it. I'm only a novice practitioner and still learning. Some of my deepest meditation sessions have used sound of some kind (music, chanting, singing bowl, etc).
  • edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    speak.

Sometimes it helps if I'm able to use music as an object of meditation, and for me calming, new-agey stuff is what helps me to relax. I suffer from extreme anxiety and sometimes it helps to be able to hear positive sounds that support a positive frame of mind. I know it's not all about relaxing, but there is an element of quieting the mind involved in meditation. Using sound as the object of meditation has been a very useful tool to me.

I do agree that it's wise not to become dependent on it. I'm only a novice practitioner and still learning. Some of my deepest meditation sessions have used sound of some kind (music, chanting, singing bowl, etc).

Hi Mugsy,

As a complementary therapist as well as a meditator, I'd like to gently point out that you are practising 'relaxation therapy' not meditation. Certainly if you have a hectic life then relax first with some soothing music. However, you need to switch it off to meditate. When we meditate, we gently accept noise around us rather than trying to block it out.

You might also try meditating outside somewhere - maybe in a park if you're in a city environment. Its also not always necessary to keep your eyes closed.

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    As a complementary therapist as well as a meditator, I'd like to gently point out that you are practising 'relaxation therapy' not meditation. Certainly if you have a hectic life then relax first with some soothing music. However, you need to switch it off to meditate. When we meditate, we gently accept noise around us rather than trying to block it out.

Thanks for your input. I understand what you're saying and see how this method of practice differs from traditional sitting meditation. I will try your suggestion of first calming, then entering into meditation.

Many thanks to those who have already responded, even if I didn't reply. It's great to get some thoughts on this subject.
    edited August 2010
    I can really sympathize with you though mugzy because as I mentioned I use to need total silence to get anywhere in meditation. After some time I realised that this was not the correct way to go about things. It is really hard to maintaina still mind whilst you have horns, cars, angle grinders and god knows what else going on, but the trick is to accept these things and live with them. It will happen with time I am sure :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    It is really hard to maintaina still mind whilst you have horns, cars, angle grinders and god knows what else going on, but the trick is to accept these things and live with them. It will happen with time I am sure :)

Thanks for your support :)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    It is not supportive to sympathize with "trying to maintain a still mind". It is supportive to point out that a fabricated "still mind" is a condition that is no "closer" to unconditioned peace than an agitated mind.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Yes meditation is not a day at the spa..

Pema Chodron say meditation developes 5 qualities...

1) Steadfastness to be with your experience (and thereby with you) no matter what comes up...

2) Clear seeing of what is coming up

3) A chance to be with your worst mental states (yes)

4) Being with the present moment as it is

5) A sense of no big deal (whether you see heaven or hell)

While I won't say you are wrong for practicing music with meditation I just wanted to inform you that meditation which cultivates maitri and equanimity is not about feeling good. It is about seeing your mind as it is and giving space for that experience. A light touch and an honest warm clear seeing.

The reason for #3 is that it is a chance to erode the whole underpinning of samsara. Normally we turn away from any experience that makes us feel so negative. By switching the habitual pattern we cut at the root of samsara. #3 is the dukkha of the 4 noble truths and usually we split the dukkha off into a self and other and then the next strategy (after that process of ignoring) is to crave, to be averse, or to dull out. This is the heart of buddhist practice to sit with negative states. But its important to learn gradually the courage and faith in the practice. The lightheartedness and warmth and spaciousness.

I would recommend listening to 15 minutes of music. Then do 15-25 minutes without the music. Then if you have time do 10 minutes walking with music. Then 15-25 sitting without.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and answer. It has been very insightful to have different opinions and experiences on this matter.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    So I know I'm just rehashing the topic, but what about meditation while listening to chanting, or sutra reading? Would this be considered a kind of meditation?
    edited August 2010
    Personally I have never actually tried to do a buddhist chant or reading a sutra. I would not know where to begin and how to go about such a thing. I also would feel a lot better if I had a teacher to show me how and why this activity is undertaken my buddhists. I heard a monk saying that there is no point in chanting if you do not understand why you are doing it, it loses its meaning and becomes mindless gable lol.

By the way mugzy, I have never properly looked at your avatar. I mean I have looked at it but until now thought it was a meditation robot of some kind lol... :/ wrongo
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Personally I have never actually tried to do a buddhist chant or reading a sutra. I would not know where to begin and how to go about such a thing. I also would feel a lot better if I had a teacher to show me how and why this activity is undertaken my buddhists. I heard a monk saying that there is no point in chanting if you do not understand why you are doing it, it loses its meaning and becomes mindless gable lol.

I have some incredible recordings of Lama Tashi chanting, you can buy it on iTunes or Amazon.com (hope that link works). Sometimes I listen to it mindfully and meditate on the sound of the mantras being recited - I was wondering if this is considered a form of placement meditation. Same with sutra reading, but that might be different. I'm not sure.

I haven't officially learned how to chant, but I have been taught certain mantras.
    By the way mugzy, I have never properly looked at your avatar. I mean I have looked at it but until now thought it was a meditation robot of some kind lol... :/ wrongo

LOL!!! I AM A ROBOT BEEP BOOP BOP! INITIATE MEDITATION MODE
    :om:
    END SEQUENCE
    :lol:
  • edited August 2010
    as people have said before,you can become dependent on it. For me, it was like training wheels. I had to learn to let go of the training wheels. It wasn't easy for me, but I was very happy to overcome it. Now I just focus on walking the path.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    atappa wrote: »
    as people have said before,you can become dependent on it. For me, it was like training wheels. I had to learn to let go of the training wheels. It wasn't easy for me, but I was very happy to overcome it. Now I just focus on walking the path.

That makes sense. I get what you mean with the training wheel analogy.

I'm glad that I started this thread, as it was very helpful to me. I have been practicing simple breathing meditation without any expectations or outside influence. When I do listen to calming music it is separate from the actual meditation.
  • edited August 2010
    atappa wrote: »

the training wheel thing is ok but I think music actually helps you in mediation and improves it (???)
    edited August 2010
    I haven't meditated for over a week now... I have really hit a wall so to speak and it is frustrating! Matters involving money, material things, attachment, they all seem to corrupt my mind and I fall into this way of life where I can't seem to focus in meditation :(

Maybe I need a meditation roboto! lol beeep beeep bop bop
  • edited August 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    the training wheel thing is ok but I think music actually helps you in mediation and improves it (???)
    different things can work for different people I guess. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Music Meditation is not a Buddhist meditation. Music Meditation is a relaxation therapy, while Buddhist Meditation actually have different method for different level. At some point you can watch your thought but not follow it or associate with it. It is best to Meditate in complete silence because you are looking within not depending on something exterior.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010

Some kinds of chanting meditation are nothing more than concentration meditation with the focus of the concentration being the chant rather than the breath, etc. Chanting is very good at quieting and focusing the mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTVFBsggr3U
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Some kinds of chanting meditation are nothing more than concentration meditation with the focus of the concentration being the chant rather than the breath, etc. Chanting is very good at quieting and focusing the mind.

Nice, that's good input. It does feel different when I chant or recite mantras.
  • edited August 2010
    It is important to distinguish between the right meditation music - most people confuse meditation music to music that is simply relaxation music - although both can work, one works by increasing your vibrations to a higher level, and the other simply just relaxes you and allows you to focus better.

I would say it depends on the goal of your meditation if you want to listen to music.

- Ali Ijaz,
    Meditation Teacher
  • edited August 2010
    Seek wrote: »
    Music Meditation is not a Buddhist meditation. Music Meditation is a relaxation therapy, while Buddhist Meditation actually have different method for different level. At some point you can watch your thought but not follow it or associate with it. It is best to Meditate in complete silence because you are looking within not depending on something exterior.

that is ok but in this hectic pace of life..... complete silence and not letting thoughts to wonder is an extremely hard thing to do.
  • edited August 2010
    that is ok but in this hectic pace of life..... complete silence and not letting thoughts to wonder is an extremely hard thing to do.
    You have to break free of your impatience. It was hard for me too, but I finally broke free of it. :)
  • edited August 2010
    ^^^ doesn't your mind wonder anywhere when you are mediating?? I'm always thinking of hundreds of things.
  • edited August 2010
    ^^^ doesn't your mind wonder anywhere when you are mediating?? I'm always thinking of hundreds of things.
    It's natural to want to do that. But learning to concentrate on the mediation is a very rewarding experience. Like I said before, music for me was like training wheels. Soon we all have to learn to ride without them. :)
  • edited August 2010
    I'm willing to try and I want to do it.... but it is really hard considering today morning's experience.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited August 2010
    It's sometimes better to think of meditation as "coming home to the body" rather than trying to achieve some sort of state in the mind. Notice the raw physical sensations of being alive -- the sensations of inner movements and shifting and contracting and relaxing and hot and cold and tingling and even numbness offered you by your body. Even when you're just sitting still, there is this vibrating and subtle swaying in response to the breath. Do this in the moment. Don't think about it, but allow yourself to feel what is happening right now, while it is happening. Allow the body to call out to you. It's positively singing with activity and sensation. Listen to its music.

Relax the tendency to react to your physical sensations with thoughts. For example, a tightness in the chest could be interpreted as fear, to which you might habitually respond to with "What am I afraid of? Oh, it must be that upcoming talk I have to give. Oh crap, I'm not prepared for it! Should I stop meditating and go practice? etc." A simple physical sensation can lead you to a whole string of thinking. Just come back to the body. This is where you live and yet you rarely pay attention to it. Meditation is an opportunity to feel the raw experience of living in a body and mind. It's a "mental hygiene" -- like brushing your teeth or taking a shower is physical hygeine. By letting go of the past and future, by letting go of your automatic reactive thought responses and coming back to the reality of the body, it allows you to see what is worth worrying about and what isn't. It allows you to see which of your problems are real and which are just making things difficult for yourself.

In the words of Mark Twain: "I'm an old man. I have had many problems. Most of them never happened." Meditation allows you to be with what is actually happening.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Excellent advice Glow!
    edited August 2010
    today here it is a full moon in thailand and as some of you may know this is a big tradition for celebration in thailand, and for buddhists it is a special day. The reasoning behind this has missed me as I have no clue why the full moon is so special in the buddhist and thai calendar, but it is. I heard great chantings and traditional music coming from the temples today, the power of them was very strong indeed :)
  • VagabondVagabond Explorer
    edited August 2010
    What about real relaxing sutras, or songs with no words like the ones you'll find on YouTube "for" meditation?
  • edited August 2010
    Glow wrote: »
    It's sometimes better to think of meditation as "coming home to the body" rather than trying to achieve some sort of state in the mind. Notice the raw physical sensations of being alive -- the sensations of inner movements and shifting and contracting and relaxing and hot and cold and tingling and even numbness offered you by your body. Even when you're just sitting still, there is this vibrating and subtle swaying in response to the breath. Do this in the moment. Don't think about it, but allow yourself to feel what is happening right now, while it is happening. Allow the body to call out to you. It's positively singing with activity and sensation. Listen to its music.

Relax the tendency to react to your physical sensations with thoughts. For example, a tightness in the chest could be interpreted as fear, to which you might habitually respond to with "What am I afraid of? Oh, it must be that upcoming talk I have to give. Oh crap, I'm not prepared for it! Should I stop meditating and go practice? etc." A simple physical sensation can lead you to a whole string of thinking. Just come back to the body. This is where you live and yet you rarely pay attention to it. Meditation is an opportunity to feel the raw experience of living in a body and mind. It's a "mental hygiene" -- like brushing your teeth or taking a shower is physical hygeine. By letting go of the past and future, by letting go of your automatic reactive thought responses and coming back to the reality of the body, it allows you to see what is worth worrying about and what isn't. It allows you to see which of your problems are real and which are just making things difficult for yourself.

In the words of Mark Twain: "I'm an old man. I have had many problems. Most of them never happened." Meditation allows you to be with what is actually happening.

great advice. thanks.