Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cultivation of skillfulness and wisdom meditations?

edited August 2010 in Meditation
Would any of you recommend/advise any meditations that help with developing right view, wisdom and skillfulness?

For a while I have been doing vipassana. However, in daily life I have only noticed negative thoughts/emotions, then that's it. I feel like "just be mindful" or "if anything happens at all, just go to the breath" isn't working out for me. I have heard somewhere that Buddhist practice is about "letting go and picking up," and I understand how mindfulness and going to the breath can help people let go of thinking, but where's the picking up?

Thanks for reading everyone and thanks in advance for any replies :D

Comments

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited August 2010
    One skillful way is to be the host and treat one's thoughts and feelings as guests, some pleasant and others not so. These guests are not the owner of the house and leave after a while but may come back anytime.

The unpleasant guests should be allowed to leave on their own. Any attempt to push them out will only make them stay longer.
  • edited August 2010
    Cultivate those skillful qualities a little bit at a time. I like pegembara's metaphor thing - it reminds me of the Zen master saying "what's wrong with thinking?!"
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    and I understand how mindfulness and going to the breath can help people let go of thinking

Can you explain what you mean by this?
  • edited August 2010
    I guess I'm looking more for wisdom/right view meditations that help with cultivation like metta and the 6 elements meditation.

Thanks for your input so far guys!
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Wow, pegembara you just taught me so much in a mere few lines of writing. I have been studying my thoughts a little closer recently and this has just helped me a whole lot, so thank you very much :)
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    One skillful way is to be the host and treat one's thoughts and feelings as guests, some pleasant and others not so. These guests are not the owner of the house and leave after a while but may come back anytime.

The unpleasant guests should be allowed to leave on their own. Any attempt to push them out will only make them stay longer.

Your post has been coming up into my mind randomly since I read it. I really liked it and it makes a lot of sense.