Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What truth has been revealed to you thru meditation?

edited October 2010 in Meditation
Well the title says it all I suppose.

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2010
    That meditating is a real b**ch sometimes!

:)
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    that i am very very restless; that a deeper consciousness exists; that there is a such thing as peace
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Cessation of Suffering (Dukkha).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    That I don't do nearly as much meditating as I should.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    In my case, it's a million little "truths" that have come to my attention while meditating. Stuff about my personality, why I am the way I am, what I'm afraid of, what defines my behavior, etc. It's always something new on each session.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited August 2010
    My recent truth is that meditation isnt enought.Sooner or later u start expanding your meditation habits to a 24hrs life style.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Be simple and direct with your experience.

From my teacher:

Feelings come and go in the space of Awareness. They are our essential sensitivity and responsiveness. Disappointment is a very raw and naked feeling, full of sensitivity and responsiveness if we could just allow ourselves to experience it, rather than trying to run away from it.

There is nothing wrong with disappointment. Go towards it. Really look forward to things with the knowledge that disappointment is right there in the heart of all experience. It is wonderful! It hurts! But does that matter? Disappointment doesn't have any power to harm or destroy us. Only our fear of disappointment harms us.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited August 2010
    The truth in vanity.

Like why don't we just sit there? lol
  • edited August 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    The truth in vanity.

Like why don't we just sit there? lol

Um, not sure what you mean. Do you mean we tend to rush round etc to avoid the issue of loving ourselves?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    It is hard to share the realisations that arise in meditation because they are wordless. For me (and I share this with some hesitation), they can be summed up in the words of Dame Julian of Norwich.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited August 2010
    All is well until we tell ourselves otherwise.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I may have used to wrong word(s). Like sometimes I'll be watching a movie with an epic battle and I'll be thinkin man those guys should just sit there.
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited August 2010
    ..that we should think(worry, rampaging thoughts) less and do more.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with disappointment. Go towards it. Really look forward to things with the knowledge that disappointment is right there in the heart of all experience. It is wonderful! It hurts! But does that matter? Disappointment doesn't have any power to harm or destroy us. Only our fear of disappointment harms us.

I love the way you word things, Jeffrey. Wrote this down today.
  • edited August 2010
    "Boy, do I have a ton of grist for the mill..."
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I don't know anywhere near as much as I thought I did.

And I am nowhere near being a "good" Buddhist :D
  • edited August 2010
    This.
  • edited August 2010
    pinkgrass wrote: »
    Well the title says it all I suppose.

I started on the path 3-4 years ago. The first 'ah-ha!' moment I experienced was an insight into my troubled relationship with my wife. I regarded her as an unkind word that begins with a b and ends with an itch.

After a productive sitting I observed her open her mouth, her face clearly angry and the words that flowed out of her mouth clearly revealing anger. At that moment my unskillful states of mind, the greed and hatred and ignorance were temporarily quieted and I was left to see 'reality as it actually is'. What I saw was pain. Suffering. Upon seeing the suffering I was moved by compassion. Instead of screaming at her and calling her names as I would normally have done, I went to her, told her I did not understand the reason she was angry, but that I loved her and gave her a hug. This was my first incredibly vivid experience of karma (cause and effect) being altered so that the unskillful did not lead to the unskillful.

I had a few more ah-ha! moments like that and then I had a realization that cut me to the bone and left me unable to process it effectively. This realization shook me so badly that I stopped my practice until a couple months ago. I didn't want to see any more reality. I really could have used a good teacher at that point to have helped me through it, but didn't know of anyone.

The realization that I had I can explain in words, but the experience of it is so much deeper than words can convey. I had an insight into the incredible pain caused by gossip. To this day I am a bit puzzled as to why I had this insight. Seems to me I had lots of issues needing work, but gossiping wasn't my thing. This is not to say I never gossiped, just that I had many flaws far greater in my opinion. I experienced the suffering caused by gossip so clearly, so totally that it became impossible for me to gossip due to the pain I would experience. I would rather have poured battery acid into my eyes than experience the pain caused by gossip.

So far this wasn't a problem.

The problem was that the pain caused by gossip was so real that I couldn't stand being around anyone when they were gossiping. My spouse would gossip, my oldest child would gossip, my mother would gossip, my best friend would gossip. Even standing in line at the grocery store I would overhear people gossip. I was constantly in torment by experiencing the pain. It was inescapable. It was everywhere.

I decided the only way to end the pain was to stop my practice and hope for the pain to dull. It did.

Unfortunately the years I spent off the path were not good ones. My hatred grew, I had powerful aversions to realities I could not escape such as the enormous suffering of my child so I drank myself silly and couldn't bring myself to stop drinking. You can probably imagine some of the things this led to.

What I understand now, and really wish I had understood then, is that the path is not an easy one. There will be walls, obstacles in the path that seem insurmountable. One will have to see intense suffering and stare it directly in the eye without flinching in order to know it for what it is.

The 'simple' quality of equanimity possessed in even a slight degree would have seen me through this seemingly insurmountable obstacle. Unfortunately back then not only did I not have any, I hadn't even heard of the word ;)
    edited August 2010
    Thank you, username_5.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour.

• edited August 2010
    sky.jpg

:)
  • edited August 2010
    please correct me if i am wrong... But i realized exactly how much we are surrounded by illusions. its almost as if our bodies are just the puppets of mind and that our bodies are no more real than a character from a video game. We see the video character, we hear the character and just like in life we control the character. but than again this could be a mis- interpretation on my part :)
    edited August 2010
    Something else that has been "revealed" to me in meditation is that the link between my body and my mind is much, much deeper and more meaningful/complex than I ever thought.
    edited August 2010
    Brandon wrote: »
    please correct me if i am wrong... But i realized exactly how much we are surrounded by illusions. its almost as if our bodies are just the puppets of mind and that our bodies are no more real than a character from a video game. We see the video character, we hear the character and just like in life we control the character. but than again this could be a mis- interpretation on my part :)

You are right and you are wrong, Brandon.

It is true that we are deluded. Our understanding is limited and partial because our minds work with our limited and partial senses. But you are wrong that our 'body' is unreal because that supposes that mind and body are separate 'things'. Look at 'them' and you can see that they co-arise, result and, to date, culmination of the long journey of humankind along your branch of the evolutionary tree.

When the Buddhist teachers speak to us of the 'omniscience' that results from our practice of the Noble Eightfold Path, it is the understanding of things as they really, without misapprehension.
  • edited August 2010

You are right and you are wrong, Brandon.

It is true that we are deluded. Our understanding is limited and partial because our minds work with our limited and partial senses. But you are wrong that our 'body' is unreal because that supposes that mind and body are separate 'things'. Look at 'them' and you can see that they co-arise, result and, to date, culmination of the long journey of humankind along your branch of the evolutionary tree.

When the Buddhist teachers speak to us of the 'omniscience' that results from our practice of the Noble Eightfold Path, it is the understanding of things as they really, without misapprehension.

ahh thank you for that explanation that definitely puts a new perception on my plate. Now why don't you move to texas and be my teacher ahaha i can't find one around here in fort worth
  • edited August 2010
    i guess i have just come to a realization moments ago. well for me it is but im sure everyone else has probably realized this in some way.

During meditation my feet became numb. all of a sudden i realized that our feet are a lot like our mind. when we sit on them they fall asleep, but when you stand up they awaken. am i on to something?
    edited August 2010
    i guess i have just come to a realization moments ago. well for me it is but im sure everyone else has probably realized this in some way.

During meditation my feet became numb. all of a sudden i realized that our feet are a lot like our mind. when we sit on them they fall asleep, but when you stand up they awaken. am i on to something?

Of course you are, Brandon, and the next step is to realise that all our 'intuitions' are simply stirring in our sleep. There comes a time when every moment is freighted with meanings, every fading flower is a memorial of impermanence, every friend a reminder of compassion, and so on. All stirrings in our 'sleep', all intuitions that we can 'wake up' as others have done many, many times before us. If we use these moments to support and strengthen our practice of meditative, studious and service action, they are 'consolations'.

BUT: we must, at the same time, develop discernment which allows us to examine our own pleasure or pain to understand if we are on the path or have wandered into a less useful byway.

Consolations are useful encouragements but are not the goal. They are oases in the desert and we have to learn to move on from them before all their sustenance is exhausted. If we stay in the oasis too long, nourishment will run out: it is there to give us something to sustain us as we move out, through the desert, where we may (or may not) encounter another oasis. This takes courage as well as determination. Refuge in the Triple Jewel can, at times, demand "not less than everything", and that is even more uncomfortable than blood and feeling returning to a pair of numb feet.

Some of the 'oases' are very tempting. They appear to offer a final goal, a consummation. They can be, however, like the Isle of the Lotophages for Odysseus' men, silken traps. A discerning mind is your best weapon against Lotus eating.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    That what the Buddha said is actually true.
  • edited August 2010
    thank you very much
  • JakbobJakbob Explorer
    edited August 2010
    That one of my greatest clings that I need to work on is my minds habit to constantly want answers to things which don't really matter or have any real effect on me. It constantly thinks of things which distract me from mindfulness and I have to step back, take a breath, and say to myself "Is this pertinent or important to what I am doing right now? how about in a week, a year? And usually it's not to any of them, so I can just let it go :D
  • edited August 2010
    its almost as if deep down inside our ego does not want us to part with it
  • edited August 2010
    Without us, our egos would be nothing. But for our egos, we are nothing.

But what is nothing?
  • edited August 2010
    :ninja:

:lol:
  • edited August 2010
    nothing is that giant loophole you just spun me through haha. but on the serious side. ummm... i was thinking rigpa but that would give it a perception which in turn makes it something so nothing is the absence of everything which does not exist
  • edited August 2010
    so nothing is the absence of everything which does not exist

But you've just defined it - that makes it something, and even then the definition is inaccurate! ;)

Another way of looking at it - solve the riddle of the Heart Sutra's words :P
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    But when we stop cogitating about what nothing is immediately the mundane world appears including feelings and turmoils
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited August 2010
    There is only this breath.........(repeat)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    There is no coming, there is no going. Nothing is happening.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't have as much control as I assumed I did.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    There are four truths that are being revealed to me constantly, especially in meditation. They are Noble.
  • edited August 2010
    Helium, neon, argon, xenon? :P

The biggest revelation I had was after a long intensive mediation retreat I did a few months back, and it's something I can't describe even in poetic words (which I suck at anyway :P) but - I had a glimpse of the utter peaceful stillness and liquid silence that would occur once all my attachments, cravings, karmic-ego-thoughts and all that dust were gone.

Man, that stillness. So still. The silence was like that blissful peace you get after entering a very quiet, cool room after walking through an insanely busy shopping mall.
  • edited August 2010
    when i was struggling about reincarnation i was very skeptical about the whole topic. After i did a shamatha meditation i picked up a piece of paper and thought " if death is the end of life and karma propels birth then its karma which must be dealt with to end the cycle of birth and death" i drew a diagram and realized that salvation was in the structures of buddhism. It was a great thing to me because i've never really trusted any spiritual path. Like my judeochristian roots. I studied judiasm and christianity , aquinas etc. and each time i felt as if my questions weren't being answered. Yet each read brought up more questions which were being not answered but brought up more questions. I do not agree with those that say the more questions the more enlightened. I just dont. Anyway buddhism slowly but surely started answering my questions. like :

Why am i hurting right now
    What did i do to deserve this
    Who are the people around me really seeing
    Why can't i make a way in life that works like everyone else
    Where am i going to go
    What is my purpose
    Who can i rely on
    Why should i rely on them
    What does it matter to be spiritual anyway
    What is happiness.

This has made me very happy learning the answers to my questions. I now don't really have doubts about myself, the world, or what my purpose is. Jobs relationships etc. Buddhism has realy given me a structure that makes everything fit for me. And whatever is hurting to sink into emptiness and see that there is no hurt.

This and much more are the fruits of my practice and study, for which im extremely grateful

Hope this helps.
  • edited September 2010
    truths? none, yet. but there's more space in between thoughts.
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited September 2010
    That I need to stop taking shit from bigots. People are more than happy to make assumptions about me but I rarely defend myself. With loving-kindness meditation, compassion for others is part of it but compassion for oneself is also important. Defending others has never been a problem for me. Defending myself has never occurred to me.

The problem becomes finding ways to defend myself without inflicting suffering on others.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Meditation is supreme
    edited September 2010
    Meditation is supreme

Now I want a burrito! (preferably a SUPREME one).
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    With pleasure *hands dude a burrito, with fries*

Bless.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    My legs hurt if I sit with them crossed too long.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited September 2010
    jinzang wrote: »
    My legs hurt if I sit with them crossed too long.

:lol: I find a lot of delight in your posts!
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited September 2010
    the peace of no thoughts