Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Literary Recommendations

edited October 2005 in Buddhism Today
As a buddhist from a rural (very rural) area, I've had to depend on boods for most of my teaching. After practicing for 2 or so years, I had the good forturne to be able to study with an ordained monk for a few months, but other than that, I've mostly had to go it solo.

I'd like to recommend the three books that have helped me the most, and ask the group what works influenced them most. Mine are:

The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, by Thich Nhat Hanh,

How To Practice, by HHtDL, and

Mindfullness in Plain English, by Venerable Henepola Gunaratana (free online!)

Any suggestions? I'm always looking for material.

Comments

• edited October 2005
    KBuck wrote:
    As a buddhist from a rural (very rural) area, I've had to depend on boods

Er, BOOKs, I meant.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Actually, I'm quite disappointed, I have several "boods" which I would have talked about, but it's a family forum.....!:lol:

Try this thread, as there are many more mentioned there too...;
    But to update my own post in there, a more recent book by Lama Surya Das is one titled 'Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be'. A commendable book to read after his previous three..... :)

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14
  • edited October 2005
    My wife just recommended this bit of literature. An alternative theory of everything to be sure, but you never know...

http://www.venganza.org/index.htm
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I am a great fan of the Flying Spaghetti Monster! A definite improvement on Yhwh or Jupiter, imho.