Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

question about vipassanna

edited August 2010 in Meditation
ok so when doing insight meditation you say to yourself for instance thinking....thinking...thinking.... or rising.....falling....rising ect.

well do you say it periodically or 1 after another with now counts in between? also what are some other meditations I should look into?

Comments

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm not constantly saying "thinking, thinking, thinking" during insight meditation, if that's what you mean, or even during placement meditation. If thoughts come up I may simply think "thoughts" and return to the object of meditation. Vipassana is usually done by analyzing or contemplating different dharma teachings or insights. By exploring and deeply pondering these topics they become real experiences instead of theories.

So I'm also not sure what you mean by counts... counting what? Thoughts? I've never heard of this so I don't know what you're referring to.
  • edited August 2010
    A type of meditation is to focus on an object like your breath, or a candle flame, or even a spot on the wall. When your mind wanders, just bring your attention back to the object. This meditation works best if done for 20-30 minutes. If you do this type of meditation for a while, you begin to experience your mind with no thoughts arising. Then you can just sit for as long as you want. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Brandon wrote: »
    ok so when doing insight meditation you say to yourself for instance thinking....thinking...thinking.... or rising.....falling....rising ect.

well do you say it periodically or 1 after another with now counts in between? also what are some other meditations I should look into?

Thinking/conceptualizing is never the goal in Buddhist meditation (not in any kind of meditation I have heard of anyway). It's our thinking and conceptualizing that get in the way of progress.

The goal is to be fully present in the moment (mindfulness). If something arises and we think about it then we are not in the moment, but in the past. We are spending time on the last moment, not the current one ;)

The goal is for bare awareness to 'see' that which has arisen and to 'know it'. Thinking and conceptualizing what has arisen makes it impossible to see the object as it is. It just leads to getting lost in our thinking and having the concepts about the object masking what it really is.

Now, I am aware that some teachers do advise using labeling what arises while others advise against it. However, of those who recommend it, that I am aware of, they also advise doing it until you start to 'get it' in terms of what it means to examine the object with pure awareness. Then drop the labels as they will only get in the way.

Hopefully this has been at least a little clearer than mud ;)
  • edited August 2010
    ah that definitely has cleared things up for me thank you
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    repressing thinking is also not the goal of medition. Thoughts come up and you are just mindful of having them. You drop the 'caught upness' in the thought but allow the thought to just continue.

Otherwise you end up caught up in the thought "oh crap I was just thinking....I blew it"
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited August 2010

Stay with the awareness. That stays constant and all else are constantly coming and going, thoughts, feelings, sensations etc.

Notice the gaps between the thoughts and with practice the gaps increase as your thoughts become less and less. The silence becomes more and more obvious.

This is our natural state before we get pulled by our thoughts and feelings.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    Thinking/conceptualizing is never the goal in Buddhist meditation (not in any kind of meditation I have heard of anyway). It's our thinking and conceptualizing that get in the way of progress.

There is more than one type of meditation.

Vipasanna focuses on insight, and thus one is contemplating a particular topic. The difference is that one is not mindlessly running after thoughts but mindfully thinking, sitting in pure awareness.

This technique is different from meditations where one uses an object like the breath to bring awareness to thoughts, and instead of engaging or entering these thoughts, constantly bring the awareness back to that one point. The object is a tool for observing the effects of the mind on awareness, allowing one to observe the rising and falling of these thoughts in the mind.

Whereas in vipasanna the awareness is still brought back insight, in this case one is trying to actively experience the topic of insight with awareness.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I am also a bit unclear on how exactly Vipassana meditation is supposed to go. I haven't done any research about it, so all I know is that it's based on analyzing a certain teaching or concept, like death, but how exactly is the analysis supposed to go in your mind?

Do you sit there and think "Well, death is certainly unavoidable. Hmmm", "Death happens to all of us", "I wonder when I'll die?". Stuff like that? just have thoughts about it? It would seem that doing this is a distraction from the present moment and mindfulness, but then again, I know nothing about this kind of meditation.

The reason I still haven't read or researched about it, is because I have my hands full with only concentrating on the breath and I find that hard enoughm, without going into deep thought about something.
  • edited August 2010
    brother i am right there with you as well:) the only thing that is different from you and I is that I have studied countless pages on google about vipassana and they are all the same. they stop the lesson right after talking about the breath and always going back to the breath. they have never gone past this point. but than again this is just the numerous pages that I have found.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I have tried my best to explain this type of meditation but feel I am not adequately able to transmit my understanding on this forum. If you are truly interested in studying insight meditation I would recommend you find an experienced teacher.
  • edited August 2010
    agh and i have been. i know of a few monasteries and sanghas around my part of fort worth texas but i guess to be honest i am actually nervous of just showing up to one. 2 of them do not have websites but the one that does just gives me this feeling that they are not what I need. i guess I'm nervous of showing up and it not being open for the public?
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    Vipasanna focuses on insight, and thus one is contemplating a particular topic. The difference is that one is not mindlessly running after thoughts but mindfully thinking, sitting in pure awareness.
    This pretty much explains it to me. I must have missed this part of your post on my previous read.

I still think Vipassana is too advanced for my puny mind, because I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to maintain awareness while harboring any sort of insightful thought in my mind. Kudos to those who can practice it fruitfully.
    I have tried my best to explain this type of meditation but feel I am not adequately able to transmit my understanding on this forum. If you are truly interested in studying insight meditation I would recommend you find an experienced teacher.

Sorry if my ignorance and thick head made you frustrated.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    agh and i have been. i know of a few monasteries and sanghas around my part of fort worth texas but i guess to be honest i am actually nervous of just showing up to one.

There's no need to be nervous; if a sangha is open to the public then I'd hope that their goal would be to help others who wish to follow the teachings of the Buddha. If they have an email address or phone number you could ask them if they offered instruction for beginners or similar classes.
    2 of them do not have websites but the one that does just gives me this feeling that they are not what I need.

After I read your reply I googled vipasanna and saw what (I think) you were referring to. I have read critical reviews of the SN Goenka school, and one of the main concerns was the school appearing to be a "cult." There was a thread about it on the forum recently, but I can't seem to find it. I don't have enough information to know if it's true, but I'm just sharing what I've read.
    I still think Vipassana is too advanced for my puny mind, because I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to maintain awareness while harboring any sort of insightful thought in my mind.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a beginners meditation. While I have done insight meditation I mainly use calm abiding (samatha) as this is the first technique I learned. Both are useful practices, but I think it's important in the beginning to focus on the basics.
    Sorry if my ignorance and thick head made you frustrated.

Not at all! I'm not frustrated, I'm sorry my reply gave you that impression. If anything I feel I must continue to practice so that I can learn to skillfully teach others.
  • edited August 2010
    lol well in that case perhaps i may have jumped ahead on my meditative path to enlightenment.... back to numero uno
  • edited August 2010
    brother i am right there with you as well:) the only thing that is different from you and I is that I have studied countless pages on google about vipassana and they are all the same. they stop the lesson right after talking about the breath and always going back to the breath. they have never gone past this point. but than again this is just the numerous pages that I have found.

The book "Mindfulness in Plain English" is a book about insight meditation. "Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English" is another that is meant to be read after the first is read and some practice done.

I think one of the reasons that intro writings on Vipassana stop with a focus on the breath meditation or shortly after is that they have to for beginning meditators. In the book the author discusses concentration and mindfulness. Concentration (the ability to focus the mind on one object and hold it there) being the first skill requiring development. Without concentration insight meditation is impossible. So, first develop some minimum degree of concentration through a breath meditation practice.

The author gives an indication on how to move from the breathing to other objects, but it is clear this should not be done until a reasonable stillness of the mind is achieved otherwise moving to another object will likely just lead to getting lost in thought due to lack of concentration.

The gist of it, as I understand it, is that once a usable degree of concentration is achieved then whatever comes up during the meditation can be used as an object of meditation or one can choose the object such as the various metta mediations or some other object such as a teaching or what have you.

The trick is to observe the object rather like a scientist observes through a microscope noting what is there rather than think about it. The idea is to observe what the mind does with the object. The deeper the concentration, the deeper into the psyche one can go with this.

I think you can see how this type of meditation can be very powerful, but also pretty much impossible for one still suffering from monkey mind ;)

The author does seem to stress that in the beginning developing concentration should be the goal of the meditator and after that mindfulness gets a slight emphasis over concentration as mindfulness will automatically improve concentration.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I have understood the act of contemplation, insight, etc. to be subtly different than actual thinking. Teachers in my school describe it as grabbing the "word-head or "question-head"" instead of the "tail" of the question, concept etc. The "head" would be the unspoken thing that gives rise to the actual words, in the form of actual thoughts, AKA the "tail", which would go something like ""Well, death is certainly unavoidable. Hmmm"

As I understand it, Vipasanna is keeping the "head" but dropping the "tail". Which results in the contemplation of the topic without actual thoughts about the topic.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2010

I still think Vipassana is too advanced for my puny mind, because I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to maintain awareness while harboring any sort of insightful thought in my mind.

not at all

we have heard about five aggregates in Buddha's Teaching

if we try to understand by analysing what form (rupa) is, what perception (sanna) is, what feeling (vedana) is, what kamma formation (sankhara) are, what consciousness (vinnana) is then we are contemplating on five aggregates and we are in vipassana meditation vipassana
    this sort of contemplation is called dhamma-anupassana
    specially this is called investigation of dhamma (dhamma viccaya)

same goes with trying to understand by analysing dependent origination, six internal sense bases and external sense bases, four basic elements, five hindrances, four noble truth

we always taken for granted such dhamma like five aggregates but we hardly try to understand them by analysing them

we can contemplate on these dhamma terms until we grasp the real meaning of them and that is a sort of vipassana meditation

so if we have learnt Buddha's Teaching it is never too late to start vipassana meditation and never think it is for those who master the samatha meditation
  • edited August 2010
    thank you these post were definitely the most insightful
  • edited August 2010

After I read your reply I googled vipasanna and saw what (I think) you were referring to. I have read critical reviews of the SN Goenka school, and one of the main concerns was the school appearing to be a "cult." There was a thread about it on the forum recently, but I can't seem to find it. I don't have enough information to know if it's true, but I'm just sharing what I've read.

heres the sangha that I was talking about. seems to me like they just want money.

http://www.meditationintexas.org/
  • edited August 2010
    Can you give an example of how to practice contemplating insight in daily life.thanks.
  • edited August 2010
    here is one my wife does its a retreat on Vipassana

Insight meditation retreat
    Joeseph Goldstien & Sharon Salazberg

This is by far the easiest and most intense training i've encountered in a while. Comes with 2 CD's a book and flash cards. Awesome

( im not affiliated or wish to endorse anyone specifically for profit or promotion)