Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Walking Meditiation, Music meditation

edited August 2010 in Meditation
I read a little bit about it. It seems as though you are supposed to focus on the movement mostly in accordance to your feet. I however have been just walking with my awareness on my surroundings. I heighten my senses and listen to everything. I try to feel the temperature differences in altitude changes. I do pay attention to the feeling under my feet (barefooter :cool:) but it isn't my main focus.

I guess I was just wondering if there is really a "correct" way to do this or not...

Also, so as not to start two new threads, I was wondering if you guys could give me a little "crash course" in music meditation. I know absolutely nothing about it but I love music.
Do you need to use specific music?
Do you focus on lyrics, the music, or do you just use it to help calm your thoughts?
Should it be through headphones or external speakers?
Volume level?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    well i am deff. no expert practitioner but from what I have experience myself music does not center my mindfulness but rather feeds my ego with dreams.

as far as walking meditation the whole point is to be in the moment, to not think about the past. dont "try" to feel temperature changings, or "try" to hear sounds. Just note.... feeling.....feeling......hearing....hearing.... if you heard than do not note that is the past. if you felt... do not note and yet do not anticipate feeling or hearing either. this is why its easiest to focus on your steps. when you move your foot you note lifting.....pushing....falling.....touching and these are happening as you note them keeping your awareness in the now.

I hope from what I have picked up has cleared anything up for you
  • edited August 2010
    I actually tried this method today and it was really effective and cool. It felt as though I was meditating as I normally do, and it was interesting to have my body keep walking even when I stopped thinking about it (after concentrating on my steps for fifteen minutes or so I just went into a Mindfulness of Breathing type of meditation while walking and it was awesome.)