Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

卍 Saving the Sacred Swastika 卐

mugzymugzy Veteran
edited October 2010 in Faith & Religion
NOTE: The poster of this thread does not in any way support hatred, racism, bigotry, or anti-semitism.

As many people may or may not know, the swastika has been used throughout history as a symbol of peace, love, life, and the divine. It has been used by Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, Native Americans, indigenous Europeans, and many different cultures. It has many forms and was often used in religious artwork. You can still find it adorning temples in Asia and other places around the world.

Of course, this all changed when Hitler appropriated this holy image to make the Hakenkreuz (hook-cross) the symbol of the Third Reich. Now it is synonymous with hatred and death.

Many years ago I discovered ManWoman, a Canadian artist who is literally covered in swastika tattoos. He is a beautiful, gentle human being. He feels it is his spiritual mission to restore the swastika to it's rightful place and to cleanse it of it's negativity.

Do you think it's possible to reclaim this sacred image? Should people begin to "take back the swastika" from hateful bigots by using it in a peaceful way, and if so, how? How can we return it to it's rightful place and save it from being tarnished by it's Nazi association?

Please check out the Save the Swastika page for more information.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WDApuEnOCJs?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Sounds like a pathetic bid at attention seeking, to me.
  • edited August 2010
    The Nazi era is still too fresh in people's minds to successfully reclaim the symbol in my opinion.

This is because most of us do not see 'reality as it is'. When we see a swastika we don't see a shape, we see the meaning normally attributed to that shape.

It's like the word 'negro'. Good, bad or indifferent it has a negative connotation even though the actual dictionary definition is pretty neutral.

Perhaps a question would be why try to reclaim this symbol? Everything changes and we suffer when we cling to that which no longer is and want it to remain as it was.

To me wanting this symbol to be restored to a more noble meaning is clinging and we all know where that leads. Let it go, it is already gone.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    Do you think it's possible to reclaim this sacred image? Should people begin to "take back the swastika" from hateful bigots by using it in a peaceful way, and if so, how? How can we return it to it's rightful place and save it from being tarnished by it's Nazi association?

No, I don't think it's possible, at least not in the West (e.g., it's been deemed a universal symbol of hate by the Anti-Defamation League). I think it'd be more skillful to just let it go at this point.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    I use it regularly... I have a paper cut-out under my Buddha, acting as a "mat"... I had it on one of my avatars... most people never took any notice of this. They said nothing, and accused me of nothing. On three occasions, three separate people on the forum (not this forum, I might add), made some comment, one made me laugh, literally out loud ("I didn't know the buddah (sic) was a natzi!" (sic).
    In every single case, another member (non-Buddhist) came back and remonstrating with the poster in question, explained on my behalf! So not everybody is still entrenched in the ideas and notions of yesteryear.

But motivation and reasoning is important.... and this is why I no longer have a swastika avatar. Because although, as you understandably mention, it was an ancient symbol of Peace, universal love and harmony, I knew my reason for 'flaunting' it, was ulterior....
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I rather like the Svastica actually...There are a few Buddha statues with them on :)
    A Symbol is a Symbol only the ignorant would assume because something appears a certain way that it will be used for the purpose they imagine.
  • edited August 2010
    oh he's beyond the point of clinging haha
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Many Buddhist temples, merchant shops, etc. in Korea are plastered with swastikas (literally all over the place) and people think nothing of it. Unless they happen to be American or European, they they go WTF Swastikas?!?! Then it has to be explained. But locally it's always been considered a sign of good luck and still is. But technically they are not "nazi swastikas" because they point in the other direction. I don't see the point in trying to "reclaim it" in countries where it is not a traditional symbol. It seems like all that would do is make people hate you...

Woljeongsa_Administrative_Temple.jpg

Swastika_Korea.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in trying to "reclaim it" in countries where it is not a traditional symbol. It seems like all that would do is make people hate you...
    ]

why does a korean building have one whilst the indian shop has one as well? did they both think of the symbol at the same time? no. it was one cultures symbol which happened to spread. Why worry about what other people think? that will only bring your life to more suffering and complexities. Than again the motive of this topic does the same.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    fivebells wrote: »

I did not get that impression at all. I have followed his work for years, and I think he genuinely believes it is his life's quest to "take back" the swastika.
    edited August 2010
    OK, I watched the video and I agree with you, he's sincere. I jumped to conclusions. Thanks for the pushback.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    The symbol doesn't need saving, I'm certain it has no feelings of angst or disappointment. :)

I think the current meaning of the swastika in the west is profound. Its a reminder that pain and ignorance can lead otherwise normal people toward destructive behavior. I would just as soon like to see the symbol left alone to stand as a testament.
  • edited August 2010
    well the problem is here in the west we have a group called the aryan brotherhood. they are very well known and spread out far and wide in the americas using the symbol as a big part of there meaning
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Its a reminder that pain and ignorance can lead otherwise normal people toward destructive behavior. I would just as soon like to see the symbol left alone to stand as a testament.

That's an interesting point. I just think it's sad that such a beautiful symbol which represented so many positive attributes was tainted by evil actions.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    The Nazis were very much into romantic 19th century mysticism and had bought into all kinds of cosmic "ascendant master" nonsense. Their appropriation was very intentional. The swastika is a diabolical symbol in common imagination now, it's a done deal, and this guy knows full well that everybody who see him will think. So Why? really? His merging with eternity seems to be mixed with a narcissistic exhibitionist streak. Judgmental I know but...
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure that the Nazi swastika derived from two interlacing Germanic sowilo (sol) runes... which mean among other things 'victory' or 'attaining the goal' in the elder futhark. The pair of S-es appear in various places across the nazi arch, not always crossed.

Ironically, the main lesson of sowilo is that enlightenment is not something is important of itself, much like the sun is not important to itself. Rather, it is the boundless energy that enlightenment radiates that is its chutzpa, because it fuels transformation and life.

So basically, runic-ally, they were calling for the purest and brightest forces to nourish their journey. In my opinion that was counterintuitive to their goals, because they were not, apparently, working for the good of humankind... meaning their symbol would rally their enemies even moreso than themselves. Silly Nazis.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    So the Waffen SS insignia were these sowilo runes. It was a truly bizarre moment in history. All the weirdest, nastiest, undercurrents in European culture coalesced in one sharply dressed horror show.

BTW.... Waffen SS Spellchecks as Waffle SS.
    edited August 2010
    I don't think it's that bizarre if you look at the history. The treaty of Versailles was really the fruit of imperialism coming back to its birthplace in Europe. It was an attempt to impose imperial domination on a technologically advanced ethnic group with a strong national identity, and that was just never going to work as well as it did against people with no background in Western technology or governance. People at the time saw what was coming. Marshal Foch said at the time of the treaty of Versailles, "This is not a peace, it is an armistice for twenty years." (Pretty good call on the timing.) And he wasn't the only one.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I have no feeling towards the symbol ether way, but I do think it's irrevocably tainted in the west.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited August 2010
    When traveling around India I was amazed at the number of Iraelis who had the swastika on their guitars,backpacks etc.
    I wondered if these were removed before they went home or if they would just try to explain to their families what it stood for in hinduism.
    Couldn't help but think a lot of people in Israel still would not accept it.As someone said to me once,"millions died under that symbol".
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited August 2010
    It's just a thing, let it go.:)
  • edited August 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    I have no feeling towards the symbol ether way, but I do think it's irrevocably tainted in the west.

I agree. And like others have said, the Nazi's use of the swastika is has pretty much been its only use in the West (aside from some obscure Norse mythological references.) We wouldn't be "reclaiming" anything. Trying to do so would probably inflame hatred and suffering, definitely violating the whole "right speech" concept. It's just not that important.
  • edited August 2010
    Don't understand the fascination with this, or any symbol.
  • edited August 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    The Nazi era is still too fresh in people's minds to successfully reclaim the symbol in my opinion.
    The thing is, I can't really bring myself to give a fuck about offended sensibilities. I care about the people who actually died in the holocaust, not what banner they were murdered under.
    fivebells wrote: »
    People who get all offended at the swastika are pathetic attention seekers IMO, which, as usual, is nearly everyone. These activists seriously need to have their sensibilities offended more often. Not having enough things to be truly offended about in their lives, they're keyed up to get upset over just about anything, even a bunch of symbols that ultimately carry whatever meaning we give them.

Honestly, the nerve of these pricks, to imagine that an uncritical, near maniacal opposition to the use of some retarded symbol is going to benefit those who were killed in any way. The way I see it, the incredible shallowness of these activists is an ongoing insult to their memory.

If I were truly compassionate, I'd go out of my way to find out what else is "offending" and parade the stuff in front of them. Not for my benefit, (why on earth would I want people to hate me for being a pro-Nazi attention seeker?) but for theirs. These people really need to wake up and stop letting the herd mentality do their thinking for them.

Just my humble opinion, grounded firmly in the Buddhist tradition. :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    i was told that the "buddhist" swastika is going the opposite direction from the "nazi" swastika. perhaps i am wrong though. personally, i don't really care. i'd rather not advertise something that brings to mind a lot of hurt and pain for others.

funny story though... i remember i learned about the "buddhist swastika" when i was in japan. i was riding in a car with gps, and on the gps we kept passing buildings with swastikas over top of them and i remember nervously asking what all this was about, thinking they were some sort of nazi affiliated places... haha.
  • edited September 2010
    It has taken on a new meaning, especially in the west. Let it go.
  • edited September 2010
    It has taken on a new meaning, especially in the west. Let it go.
    I'd have let it go if we hadn't become so decidedly attached to the new meaning ascribed to it. No, I've decided to keep giving offense till people realize how symbol-minded they're being.
  • edited September 2010
    My in-laws are Jewish. They are intelligent and educated and well aware that the swastika is an ancient symbol that was perverted by the Nazis. That knowledge does not ease the pain of losing immediate family in the Holocaust.
    If this is your heartfelt quest then I wish you luck, I have to wonder if such a quest is really worth the effort though....
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    kurra wrote: »
    I'd have let it go if we hadn't become so decidedly attached to the new meaning ascribed to it. No, I've decided to keep giving offense till people realize how symbol-minded they're being.

I'm intrigued by your response! I wonder what ManWoman thinks about it, perhaps I should email him the link to this thread and see if he responds.
  • edited September 2010
    I've known about this ManWoman for a few years now. As a person he sounds interesting and if thats what he wants to do, I have very little opinion on it.

It's very clear that the symbol has been tainted, whether that is ever going to be reversed or not, or more appropriately, if it even warrants the effort to reverse, is something I cannot answer, its completely subjective I feel. To me it doesnt matter. Things change. People change. Meanings change.

The work incorporating swastikas that Marc of swastika freakshop fame was truly amazing, often subtle and attractive. I'm not sure if ManWoman is sporting any of his work, non is shown in the video but for those interested in seeing the swastika incorporated into some modern art or tattoo context I'd recommend looking him up.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    [The swastika] has taken on a new meaning, especially in the west. Let it go.

Let it go, indeed! It's irreparably broken.
  • edited September 2010
    symbols are extremly important to humans. those of you who disagree i ask you: why do you have an avatar beneath your name?

symbols are used as a quick reference or definiton of the person or place it is on. the symbol describes very quickly what that person or place stands for.

the swastika is the official symbol of the nazi party. when people see this symbol they dont think about how it has ancient origins. they think about nazis. why?

because in the west at least, world war II was the single biggest event in the twentieth century. when we are children and learning history we learn about WWII and the nazi party. the swastika is right there along side hitler. we are told hitler was an evil man who murdered millions of people because he didnt like them. very quicklly our minds begin to equate the following: hitler was evil - hitler was a nazi - swastika represents nazis - swastika represents evil.

this is why white supremacist continue to use it as their symbol to this day.

it is not irrational or attention seeking to be offended by the swastika. it represents evil.

ok, so you say it doesnt it represents good and it was corrupted by the nazis. youre half right. it no longer represents good because it WAS corrupted. it used to represent good. it no longer does.

in marketing there is a saying. "perception is reality." its also used in politics. but theres truth there. im not talking about enlightened truth. im talking about how images resonate with the general populace.

i watched that video and even knowing before hand about the history i cannot remove that symbol from what it currently represents. evil.
  • zider_redzider_red Explorer
    edited September 2010
    I agree with the perspective that it is too tainted in the west to be reclaimed. However my sangha has a hanging in front of the lama's seat that has swastikas incorporated into the design, the one's that are orientated the same way as the nazi symbol do bring out a feeling of unease within me, where as I'm fully comfortable with the one's that are facing in the opposite direction.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Nothing is too tainted. I have a nice swastika from India hanging off my statue of the largest sitting buddha from hong kong (which also has a swastika on the chest). It's a beautiful symbol to me, but I wouldn't put it on my keychain or get a tattoo of it. I understand that some people assign different meanings to it, so I wouldn't go rub it in their faces and tell them they have to see it the same way I do. At the end of the day, it just serves as a reminded to be mindful.

You can see it however you want, you don't have to "reclaim" it... that's just forcing your opinion on others.
  • edited September 2010
    id like to point out that the OP has a "note" at the very beginning. think about why he did that.
    edited September 2010
    Because westerners have to put disclaimers before all taboo topics. You know "I don't mean this in a racist way but..."-type thing. If you know something can be taken the wrong way, you give a heads up that that's not where you're going with that.

Why else?
  • edited September 2010
    thats my point exactly. if you have to give a disclaimer then probly shouldnt be saying or using it. im not saying all the time nor am i saying this topic is bad, but i am saying that because he had to put a disclaimer, because it has negative connotations that require a disclaimer is proof that it is no longer a symbol representing good.
    edited September 2010
    Tell me where you stand on this situation then...

Many Indians who live in Western countries use the symbol. As a decal on the car, or as a key chain or maybe as something to hang off the mirror of the car. Either way it's still used. Should they not be using it because they have become a part of the western country where it is taboo, or should people look at the context and implied meaning rather than the initial reaction?
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I have wall-hangings etc in my home from India and visitors often ask whay I have this Nazi symbol in my home, and why it's on an Indian artefact. For me, that's great as it is a good opportunity to explain this ancient symbol.

If we all hide it, how can it ever be restored as a positive symbol.

I an reminded of the days when the neo-fascist racist groups in the UK took the Union Flag as their symbol. Eventually it was reclaimed by the people as a national symbol, but for a considerable time it had a very negative connotation.

Give it publicity, let the swastika breathe and become well known. If others misunderstand it, it is a problem in their own minds which we may help them overcome. That will never happen if the symbol is treated as an object of shame. ;)
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    Give it publicity, let the swastika breathe and become well known.
    This might work. But perhaps way too much evil has been committed under this symbol that its salvation may be impossible.

My Jewish friends, and their emotional Holocaust mantra of "never again," use the swastika as a reminder of the pure evil brought down on so many people (and certainly not just Jews).

I fear this is a cause that's perhaps not winnable.
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited September 2010
    This might work. But perhaps way too much evil has been committed under this symbol that its salvation may be impossible.

My Jewish friends, and their emotional Holocaust mantra of "never again," use the swastika as a reminder of the pure evil brought down on so many people (and certainly not just Jews).

I fear this is a cause that's perhaps not winnable.

Yes, I agree. It may take more time on some places than others, and some may never forget the association with the Nazis.

Ironically, I have a pendant with a six pointed star, relating to a Vajrayana Buddhist deity. More than one person has asked me if I'm a Jew. LOL :)
  • edited September 2010
    if the symbol represents good to you then so be it. if when you look at a swastika and you think about anything other than the holocaust as a first reaction then im actually a little worried for you. you are forgetting a major piece of human history, a very dark piece of history. the swastika represents that period now. at one time it represented good but it doesnt anymore.

you should not display it publicly. if you live in the west then you know that when people see it they think of nazis. you are purposefully being controversial. you are throwing a very negative symbol in their face and attempting to force your ideas of what the symbol represents onto them. its never a good idea to force your ideas on someone.
  • edited September 2010
    Buddhism is all about transformation.

I think the best thing to do with the swastica is to transform it.
    I remember years a go, seeing some neo nazi graffiti of a swastica painted on a wall on the way to the art college I used to go to.

One day, while walking to college I took a big permanent marker with me, and I drew flowers on the end of each spike on the swastica.
    This, in my eyes transformed it from something that stood for something very sinister into something of beauty and softness.

This is what the world needs. Not war but transformation...
    :-)
  • edited September 2010
    picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=135
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Tell me where you stand on this situation then...

Many Indians who live in Western countries use the symbol. As a decal on the car, or as a key chain or maybe as something to hang off the mirror of the car. Either way it's still used. Should they not be using it because they have become a part of the western country where it is taboo, or should people look at the context and implied meaning rather than the initial reaction?

People should always look at the context and try to understand beyond the superficial.

And besides, can Indian people even be Nazis?
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Why do we need to save the svastika ? The only thing we can save is the way people see this symbol. But it's hard, mainly because it entered in the european (and american) conciousness as a symbol of evil, just like the old inverted cross...
  • edited September 2010
    People should always look at the context and try to understand beyond the superficial.

And besides, can Indian people even be Nazis?

Well, i imagine they can be national supremacists as much as people from any other nation. I mean, Indian nazism is as valid as any other non Germanic Aryan Race Supremacy. (not that I condone any form of race supremacy. I see all race supremacy as ignorant).

From what I know, the ww2 Nazi's were national socialists who believed in the superiority of the German Aryan race.

I guess this is no different to any other socialist race supremacist.
    Not that I have anything against socialism.

Actually, I would have thought that race supremacy would come quiet natural to some Indians who perhaps prescribe to the Hindu Caste System based on birth. Is this not similar to Race Supremacy.
    When I was in India, I tried to visit temples, but some of the locals did not approve based on my race and were very hostile.

Also, if you look at the roots of Rastafarian Religion, you will also find another form of Race Supremacy. In this case, Black Supremacy, with a mother land of Ethiopia. Not to be confused with the One Love creed that was later preached by Ras Tafari, who incidentally was not a rasta and did not reconize the people who created a religion on the basis that he was God.

Bob Marley was special among rasta's. He also didn't prescribe completely to the Black Superiority creed that many other Rastas of the time did. Lucky really, as he was half white. (father white).

Also, many other religions are very much like race supremacists in that they treat their followers as "the chosen" and everyone else as inferior/unclean/or the "devils" own
    Look at Jewdaism - 12 Holy Tribes of Isreal.
    The Many Strains of Christianity (not sure if Jesus would approve in their prejudice).
    Jehovah Witnesses
    and many others, espcially cults.
    Most have a smug superiority complex going on.
    The Us and Them factor (Insider/Outsider).

At least with Agnostics, their honest and not so arrogant.
    :)

One other interesting observation is that out of all the world religions, it is only the Hindu faith that do not preach equality. Christianity / Muslim / Buddhism all want to make things fair and equal. and give love equaly (ideally). *Nothing against Hindu's by the way, when I went to India, I found the people to be generally very kind hearted, honest and friendly.

It is only Hinduism that still has a caste system.

Anyway, I think that the Indians who use the swastica likely do so because of religious beliefs and not because they are National Sociatist Race Supremacists.

I guess the Buddha taught No Supremacy, based on wealth, race, sex etc. Ideally treat everyone equally. From the saint to the sinner.
    edited September 2010
    ^ What he/she said.

They can't be Nazis in the sense that they support the Nazi party (thought I had one friend who did), but unwittingly supporting the same beliefs is quite common.
  • edited September 2010
    ^ What he/she said.

They can't be Nazi's in the sense that they support the Nazi party (thought I had one friend who did), but unwittingly supporting the same beliefs is quite common.

I was talking more about ignorant prejudices that people from the same group prescribe to. Ultimately, it is these prejudices that need to be transformed into acceptance of others. (although, it is harder in practice as loving thy enemy is no small achievement). I guess more Metta Meditation for all. :lol: