Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Do You Meditate

VagabondVagabond Explorer
edited November 2010 in Meditation
Once again, I'm new to this whole thing, and yeah, I've seen videos explaining how to meditate, but I'd like to hear how you all do it and what you think is important. I know there's different types of meditation, but what do you think would be easiest for me to do? I always seem to try to do it at night when I'm already tired, which will always end up with me falling asleep lol. Idk

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I do the meditation described on this retreat (link to a series of podcasts made from the dharma talks.) Roughly, you attend to every aspect of experience, physical emotional and intellectual, open your heart to this experience, then attend to awareness itself as well, and rest. I just keep doing that.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Vagabond wrote: »
    ............. what do you think would be easiest for me to do? ...............

Hello Vagabond. You'll certainly get lots of good (and, perhaps, less good) advice but I have a question for you:

Do you really want the easiest meditation?
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    My main practice is a simple meditation on the breath. I place my mind on the breath and just let it rest on that, and when thoughts arise I simply acknowledge them (thoughts, thinking, back to breath) and bring myself back to the present moment. It's a basic meditation that can be done anywhere, for any length of time.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Once again, I'm new to this whole thing, and yeah, I've seen videos explaining how to meditate, but I'd like to hear how you all do it and what you think is important. I know there's different types of meditation, but what do you think would be easiest for me to do? I always seem to try to do it at night when I'm already tired, which will always end up with me falling asleep lol. Idk

I practice some kind of zazen. Like you, I always meditate before I go to sleep. But I don't know easier ways. You simply have to ...meditate...or concentrate on something. For example, I sit cross legged with my eyes closed and concentrate at what 'moves' around me.
    I don't know...how easier would you like meditation to look like ?
  • VagabondVagabond Explorer
    edited August 2010

Hello Vagabond. You'll certainly get lots of good (and, perhaps, less good) advice but I have a question for you:

Do you really want the easiest meditation?

Whatever you think would be easiest for a beginner I guess
    edited August 2010
    I practice some kind of zazen. Like you, I always meditate before I go to sleep. But I don't know easier ways. You simply have to ...meditate...or concentrate on something. For example, I sit cross legged with my eyes closed and concentrate at what 'moves' around me.
    I don't know...how easier would you like meditation to look like ?

I mean I guess I'm wondering about what different types of meditation can do too. As a beginner, I don't wanna just 'wing it' and miss the point of it all
    edited August 2010
    They all play important roles. The follow-the-breath meditation usually recommended for beginners builds capacity for returning to the experience of the present moment, and is an excellent place to start.
  • edited August 2010
    I try to meditate by sitting in a quite room and try to clear my mind of all thoughts.
  • edited August 2010
    I am still learning all of the different types of meditation; I've been to a temple to meditate which is great, because meditating with others is really motivational. But As a beginner myself, i find myself to do better with Guided Meditation. There are tons of CD's or Digital downloads you can find with a teacher telling you what to focus on, how to breathe, some also include Mantra meditations where you focus on an empowering word or calming word and say it out loud to keep your from distractions. Guided meditations work for me, because i'm still focusing on my ADD where I get off track and find my mind wondering. When I have someone in my headphones telling me what to visualize, it doesn't seem like such a...chore...for lack of better terminology.
    edited August 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    I try to meditate by sitting in a quite room and try to clear my mind of all thoughts.

How's that working out for you? Sounds hard.
  • edited August 2010
    fivebells wrote: »

Lmao @ fivebells! I was thinking the same.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I practice the formless meditation (well there is a certain amount of form) that was taught to the west by Trungpa Rinpoche. It is described in chapter four of When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron, who was his student at one time. That is also an excellent book.

It is a combination of calming and insight.

It is not a dzogchen meditation but my teacher says that it is opening into that space whatever that means haha.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I go back and fourth between breath following and Shikantaza.
    Whatever you think would be easiest for a beginner I guess . what you think is important.
    The most common type to start is breath following. If that is too difficult you can do breath counting and then return to just breath following when your mind settles down some.

What is important is to not try to clear your mind of all thoughts because that is impossible to do. But rather to just return to the breath when you have noticed that thoughts have arisen. You can't stop them from arising and it's pointless to even try.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010

Sounds like Bushism not Buddhism. :p
  • edited August 2010

well it works for about a minute. :o
  • edited August 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Sounds like Bushism not Buddhism. :p

;) what do you suggest??
    edited August 2010
    ;) what do you suggest??
    A mind clear of thoughts is a result of practice, not the method. Choose one of the standard meditation methods like following the breath, and work with that.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    "Just Sitting". The only directive is to keep the posture and remain absolutely still with the eyes open resting on the floor a couple of feet in front. Half Lotus on a zafu and mat. It works best for some reason sitting with a group. We sit in two lines back to back facing the wall.

The "object" of awareness is the totality of bodymind (including thought) activity at once. The "practice" is non-obstructed bodymind .

Sounds complicated but it is very direct.
    edited August 2010
    I am still learning all of the different types of meditation; I've been to a temple to meditate which is great, because meditating with others is really motivational. But As a beginner myself, i find myself to do better with Guided Meditation. There are tons of CD's or Digital downloads you can find with a teacher telling you what to focus on, how to breathe, some also include Mantra meditations where you focus on an empowering word or calming word and say it out loud to keep your from distractions. Guided meditations work for me, because i'm still focusing on my ADD where I get off track and find my mind wondering. When I have someone in my headphones telling me what to visualize, it doesn't seem like such a...chore...for lack of better terminology.

Yeah I have ADD too, but is it possible that my mind wandering is such a bad things in some cases? Can't meditation be used to look at things in your life much deeper than you do when you're not meditating?
    For instance, if me and my girlfriend were arguing over a bunch of things, couldn't I meditate and think about every little thing very thoroughly and find out the "REAL" reason for the arguments and therefore, finding a way to resolve them?
    Maybe this isn't even considered meditation though, lol. Idk, I need to be informed lol
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    It is possible you are avoiding meditating by talking about it and entertaining thoughts that you will do it wrong.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    "Just Sitting". The only directive is to keep the posture and remain absolutely still with the eyes open resting on the floor a couple of feet in front. Half Lotus on a zafu and mat. It works best for some reason sitting with a group. We sit in two lines back to back facing the wall.

The "object" of awareness is the totality of bodymind (including thought) activity at once. The "practice" is non-obstructed bodymind .

I've gained some interest in this for a couple reasons, which I'll skip explaining but I'd like to ask you about it.

So all you "do" is, like you said, sits still? That's a bit why I'm attracted to it also I've seen it suggested as a meditation for beginners.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    I've gained some interest in this for a couple reasons, which I'll skip explaining but I'd like to ask you about it.

So all you "do" is, like you said, sits still? That's a bit why I'm attracted to it also I've seen it suggested as a meditation for beginners.

It is 100% wakeful sitting, a very simple but very disciplined practice. I would be happy to share the basic approach with you, as well as describe how it unfolds over time.

Tomorrow I am off on family vacation, heading up to Georgian Bay where there is no internet. I'll PM you when I'm back in town if like then.
  • edited August 2010
    Richard H wrote: »

:) Thanks... will have to try that out.
  • edited August 2010
    Taming the mind is a great book on shamatha meditation.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010

Indeed :bigclap:
  • edited September 2010

Hmm... will have to check that out. Thanks.
  • edited September 2010
    The easiest way to meditate is to practice mindfulness (attention) of the breath. This is the way that the Buddha taught it:

1) When you breath in a long breath, you know that you are breathing in a long breath. When you breath out a long breath, you know that you are breathing out a long breath.
    2) When you breath in a short breath, you know that you are breathing in a short breath. When you breath out a short breath, you know that you are breathing out a short breath.
    3) When you breath in, you experience your entire physical body. When you breath out, you experience your entire physical body.
    4) When you breath in, you tranquilize your entire physical body. When you breath out, you tranquilize your entire physical body.

(Your physical body means your body all the way down from the top of your head to the tips of your toes).

So basically, the whole point is to know that you are breathing, and while breathing to relax. And that's it. Meditation pure and simple, haha!! :)
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah I have ADD too, but is it possible that my mind wandering is such a bad things in some cases? Can't meditation be used to look at things in your life much deeper than you do when you're not meditating?
    For instance, if me and my girlfriend were arguing over a bunch of things, couldn't I meditate and think about every little thing very thoroughly and find out the "REAL" reason for the arguments and therefore, finding a way to resolve them?
    Maybe this isn't even considered meditation though, lol. Idk, I need to be informed lol

Absolutely you can meditate on your life experience and reasons for feeling a certain way and you have hit on a key point that hasn't been addressed; there are two basic kinds of meditation, stabilizing meditations and analytical meditations. The type you mention about trying to find the REAL reasons for things is an analytical meditation. For instance you can take this incident of arguing with your girlfriend and meditate on patience, or anger. For instance did someone get angry? If they did, did that make you happier or suffer more? By meditating on the disadvantages of anger and on the virtues of patience maybe you can not worry so much about the "reasons" for your argument and simply avoid it with patience and compassion instead of anger and frustration. However, please oh please don't meditate on every little thing that was said and done, that is not meditation, it is torture!! Exactly what you are trying to avoid through meditation.

As other people have mentioned there is the meditation on the breath, which I think is as simple as you can get and best for a beginner. It is also the other type of meditation; stabilization. Simply do as another poster mentioned and breath in, then out, count that as one breath if you'd like to count. Do that something like 4-10 counts, whatever number works for you. If you're mind wanders while you are doing it, just acknowledge it, but don't dwell on it and go back to counting or focusing on the breath.

Don't make the pitfall of trying to do analytical and stabilization meditation at the same time, you can't think of two things at once. I would start with the breath and if you find it getting easy or you start to wander into your argument with girlfriend, realize that, make a mental sticky-note and start addressing the incident from the perspective of patience and anger and which is better and why? Hope that helps.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi Vagabond,

Please consider taking a look at this Buddhist meditation series with Ajahn Jayasaro on Youtube.

This video is the very brief introductory talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7a9Ur2x0o

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Basic mindfulness meditation is what I do mostly
  • edited September 2010
    Hi Vagabond

Meditation is best learned from a live person, a teacher who has experience. This way, you can corroborate your experiences with him/her. You will also speed up your learning process by avoiding all sorts of side-tracks and there will be no need to experiment. A real teacher can also prevent any possible big mistakes and give help when any obstacle arises.

I think if you want to start practising on your own. Meditation with the breath is very useful. But do many very short sessions like maybe 10-15mins at most

Also recommended to do some studies on the theory, to get some idea on why you are meditating, what the path is about...
    <O:p
    Helpful links:

Tenzin Palmo on Nature of Mind
    <O:phttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bseq3IonOgc&p=3D15FAF8782794CB&playnext=1&index=42 (part 1 of 11)

http://amberstar.libsyn.com/category/Tenzin%20Palmo
    <O:p</O:p
    (Learning to Meditate - Sakyong Mipham)
    http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqv3fZB_1U&feature=related
    (What Meditation is - Sogyal Rinpoche)
    http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=FCdgNZS1Sks&feature=related
    Buddhanet website has some good books on meditation too. You can learn from there too.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I never engaged in a sitting practice. For me it was more convenient to do it when driving, going to school, while in class, while taking a poop.. lol you get the idea.

I think that practical mindfulness (in all activities) is more of an engaged way to practice rather than the sitting deal because then you're like 'i'm going to meditate now' and it becomes some sort of a conceptual practice outside of everyday living.. when really it's all just meditation.. no goals, no methods, no path.. just living. meditation simply shows you that the mind is already trained and clear.. the mind thinks, emotions emote lol.. it just happens.. you choose to believe in your thoughts, emotions.. you cling to your suffering.. it's all you.. maybe the formal aspect will help. for me it was through daily activities and suffering that helped me realize that suffering wasn't a good option lol.. the door is open.. everything external is impermanent, be content, love yourself and love will flourish around you.
  • edited September 2010
    ravkes wrote: »
    I never engaged in a sitting practice. For me it was more convenient to do it when driving, going to school, while in class, while taking a poop.. lol you get the idea.

I think that practical mindfulness (in all activities) is more of an engaged way to practice rather than the sitting deal because then you're like 'i'm going to meditate now' and it becomes some sort of a conceptual practice outside of everyday living.. when really it's all just meditation.. no goals, no methods, no path.. just living. meditation simply shows you that the mind is already trained and clear.. the mind thinks, emotions emote lol.. it just happens.. you choose to believe in your thoughts, emotions.. you cling to your suffering.. it's all you.. maybe the formal aspect will help. for me it was through daily activities and suffering that helped me realize that suffering wasn't a good option lol.. the door is open.. everything external is impermanent, be content, love yourself and love will flourish around you.

Your approach is Ok, it works for you. The practice of mindfulness in all our day-to-day activities and thoughts is what really enhances our mental cultivation right from the start. Perhaps, for some lay people, formal meditation can be considered as optional... many lay people in Buddhist countries don't meditate.

I practice shamatha meditation, two sessions of twenty minutes - morning and evening. Maybe I'll try vipassana meditation in due course...
  • edited October 2010
    I do breath following, and the "formless" one Jeffrey described.. But there isn't really rules to follow in my opinion, just suggestions.

I mean, sometimes I'll just sit with my eyes open and just think and be aware of my surroundings.

Whatever works for you I think, but I'm really new to this too.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It is like you want to ride a wild horse. The first attempts will certainly throw you down. If you persevere enough, you will succeed eventually, and after some time the horse will became a close friend and will obey even your unspoken orders. In this analogy, the wild horse is your mind and concentration is like taming and training the horse. In this respect, continuity is important.

Even when, after years of practice, you ride the tame horse (the mind) - sometimes you ride badly - but you keep getting back in the saddle (on the cushion). That's why it is called practice.....

The mind is like a crazy monkey: the more you try to calm it by force and to make it stay on a definite place, the more it will refuse to do that, doing exactly the opposite: jumping even more crazily form one place to another. Therefore start focusing the mind very softly upon the chosen object and when it jumps to another object just bring it back calmly and patiently, with humor and compassion at your lack of discipline. If you get angry about this continuous mental jumping, this will only increase the mind's tendency to disperse.

Beginning with compassion and some humor over your (our) crazy monkey mind is the seed of loving kindness and compassion for all sentient beings (bodhicitta).

The simplicity of "Just Sitting" belies the roaring silence you (we) will encounter embarking on this path. A teacher is highly recommended starting out (you may go through scores of teachers to find the right technique for your very personal approach) and no matter what - you can't get it wrong - you can just "get it". Congratulations on wakening to the dharma - you are most welcome - we have been waiting for you......
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    A mind clear of thoughts is a result of practice, not the method. Choose one of the standard meditation methods like following the breath, and work with that.

So, you suggest just one particular meditation at a time?
    How long is the duration?
    As long as you need to?
  • edited November 2010
    I do breath following, and the "formless" one Jeffrey described.. But there isn't really rules to follow in my opinion, just suggestions.

I mean, sometimes I'll just sit with my eyes open and just think and be aware of my surroundings.

Whatever works for you I think, but I'm really new to this too.

Ditto. I usually begin with breathing to get my mind right, then I do a visualization of a white light slowly moving up my body that relaxes all my muscles, then I just let go.