Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

About Timing Your Meditation

VagabondVagabond Explorer
edited August 2010 in Meditation
(Note: I haven't really meditated ever)

Anyway...

I saw a post from someone asking what you all use as a timer for your meditation.
Do you guys get really lost in meditation where you can't keep track of time and that's why you need a timer?
Or is there another reason for this? Cuz if so, I'm definitely NOWHERE near the level you're all at yet

Comments

• newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Hi.

timer its used to keep a routine. example: i want to dedicate 60minutes to meditation.
    I find it really annoying and stressful, so i only do it when im getting to much difference in time expected vs real time.
  • VagabondVagabond Explorer
    edited August 2010
    newtech wrote: »
    Hi.

timer its used to keep a routine. example: i want to dedicate 60minutes to meditation.
    I find it really annoying and stressful, so i only do it when im getting to much difference in time expected vs real time.

I'm sorry but I'm a little confused as to what you mean :confused:
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I use a timer to keep track of time for me. That way there is one less thing to distract
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Yes you can easily lose track of time, I never was much good at being able to guage time anyway. When I used to do my meditation at home before going to work, I'd set a timer on my computer for 30 minutes. Then my shift changed, and I no longer had time to meditate at home, so now I get to work a half hour or so early, and I meditate in my cubicle before starting work. I set a 30 minute timer on my cell phone, and set it on vibrate, and that works great!
  • edited August 2010
    I never was much good at being able to guage time anyway. When I used to do my meditation at home before going to work, I'd set a timer on my computer for 30 minutes. Then my shift changed, and I no longer had time to meditate at home, so now I get to work a half hour or so early, and I meditate in my cubicle before starting work. I set a 30 minute timer on my cell phone, and set it on vibrate, and that works great! I saw a post from someone asking what you all use as a timer for your meditation.
    Do you guys get really lost in meditation where you can't keep track of time and that's why you need a timer?Or is there another reason for this? Cuz if so, I'm definitely NOWHERE near the level you're all at yet .

• edited August 2010
    Im not so virtuous either. I use a timer because i need discipline to actually meditate. Its not fun giving up thoughts untill they are passed. I have a self concept that really clings to thinking, so i use a timer to force myself to meditate at least 10 -20 min, because of my level of constant failure at perserverence.
  • edited August 2010
    I use a timer more like treeder does, for self-discipline. I've never gotten so lost or to such a peaceful state that hours could pass and I wouldn't know it. Quite the opposite.

I use the timer to slowly work my way up to longer and longer sits. For example I started at 12 minutes and little by little, as I was ready, I've built my sessions up to 30 minutes. There have been times when I've stopped my daily practice and I've restarted it with just five minute sessions.

I think the timer is for me two things. 1. It's a commitment and 2. It helps reassure the part of my mind that doesn't want to be doing this "boring" activity that there is an end in sight. Maybe someday I'll need the timer so I don't oversit!!

Interestingly, I can't tell you how many times I just "know" to the second when the timer is going to beep. It just show me that some part of this monkey mind can be extremely mindful!
  • edited August 2010
    It helps reassure the part of my mind that doesn't want to be doing this "boring" activity that there is an end in sight. Maybe someday I'll need the timer so I don't oversit!!

This is pretty much exactly what i was saying. Glad to know im not the only one with difficulty.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Vagabond wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I'm a little confused as to what you mean :confused:

Ofcourse u can get inmersed in a way u dont know for sure if u meditate 30 or 60 minutes, but no in a crazy way (atleast me)..but more time isnt a problem, its a problem when u start getting shorter sessions every time u meditate.