Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good karma, or bad karma?

edited October 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I have a little dilema. We have had a "pet" Praying Mantis in our garden all Spring and Summer. Everyday, we find her in our basil. She is so cool. We all take turns holding her and she just hangs out with us and watches us. Sadly, I know that she will die very soon. But my husband told me that we could keep her inside in an aquarium and she would live longer. So do we take her inside, or do we leave her out and let nature run its course? I hate to see her go - she really is so cool.

Comments

• edited October 2005
    The ideal situation would be for you to do something for the praying mantis with it's best intrests in mind (leave outside or bring inside) and for a good result to happen based on that action (longer lifespan for the mantis). This would be 100% good karma.

Next would be bring it inside for selfish reasons and it to live longer. Good karma, though not as much.

Worst would be to bring it in for selfish reasons and it to die sooner as a result. Bad intent and bad result from the action.

Personally, I'd bring it in if I wanted to and enjoy it as long as I could. Having just eaten a fair-sized hunk of a chicken for dinner last night, I don't think one bug is going to help or hurt me too much. What can I say, I'm a mindfully unskillful.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    What a wonderful thing!

I would say leave it in its natural environment. That area outside is its home. Taking it inside would be like putting it in jail just for being what it is. I too love praying mantis's. When I was younger I would catch them and put them in jars and aquariums to keep them as pets. Now, I wouldn't think of doing that because it would be bad for the insect itself. I do not like being caged up, and I suspect neither do they. They do not last long in capitivity anyhow.

That is just thinking about it from the bug's point of view. As for kamma, taking it inside would probably entail at least two types of kamma - one positive for having compassionate thoughts for the creature and one negative for the selfish thoughts of "keeping" it so you can enjoy its presence longer.

When you step back to observe this situation you can learn a great deal of Dhamma from it. Dukkha is stressful and unsatisfactory. Dukkha is caused from craving. In this case your dukkha is caused by your craving for the sense pleasure
    of mental enjoyment (the mind is considered a sense organ as well as the eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body i.e. touch). This enjoyment arises from the happiness you get from playing with said insect. You then fear that your happiness will soon cease (anicca/impermanence) because the insect will fly away or die. This of course is natural and will happen at some time, however, "you" "wish" this to be "different" - hence creating the cycle of dukkha all over again. This also reinforces your sense of self as being "I". What this does is to cause the possessive "mine" to arise - "My" happiness, "My" pet, "My" _____ .

"I" want to do this for "my" happiness. The insect will live longer, so it's ok if "I" keep it.

Now you have:

a.) attachment
    b.) craving
    c.) sense of self
    d.) dukkha

All arising due to your desire for your own happiness to continue. You use prolonging the insects like as an excuse to capture it and keep it in your house as a "pet". Now, your mind tells you that this is a "good" thing you would be doing, but it is saying that to get what "it" wants. (The mind is tricky. That is where the immaterial, ever subtle defilements live i.e. greed, hatred, and delsuion. They cause delusion to arise making you think that your actions are benefitial to all when in fact they are catering to themselves.) What you must do to make a wise decision is to look at it objectively, perhaps think about it from the insect's perspective.

This is in no way implying that you are a bad person Yogmamma. This is just how the defilements work IN ALL OF US. We all have the same problems in life. We just have never noticed them before. Why? Because this "I" overshadows the truth. That is why the Buddha taught the Dhamma to the world - to reveal to us our predicament; to bring us out of the dark of avijja (ignorance).

In the end it is all up to you. What would you want to happen if you were the insect? What would you think was better - inside trapped in a cage, or outside in the beautiful garden?

:)

Jason
  • edited October 2005
    The only reason we did think about bringing it inside was because she has seemed very lethargic the past few days and we thought bringing her inside would help her to live longer. But you are right - she probably prefers to stay outdoors in the nice garden. The really cool thing is that she has laid plenty of eggs, which my husband is caring for so that her babies live in our garden next Spring. We have done the same with all of the spider egg cases we have founbd in our garden this year. And, like you pointed out, Mantis's do not live long in captivity anyways. I will be so sad when she is gone! She is so cool. When we hold her, she just sits on our arms or hands and looks at us with her cute little "alien" face and cleans her little front legs. So cute!
    edited October 2005
    Yes, they are still my favourite of all insects, wonderful creatures! I hope that some of the young ones will stick around after they hatch. :)
  • edited October 2005
    Here is a picture of my daughter holding our "Mantis", as my daughter calls her.
    edited October 2005
    Awwwww! That's so adorable!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I used to do the same things with Praying Mantis's with my son. We'd go for walks where there were tons of them, put them on my sons shoulders and walk them back to our yard. They would just hang out and much for months.

But... was it good or bad karma for me to bring them back so they could hunt the other little guys in my yard? It was like bringing in a bounty hunter!

Uh oh... I might have some bad ju-ju coming...

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    That's exactly why we like them in our garden - they eat all the bugs that eat our veggies!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    In terms of Buddhist world-view, the mantis will only have a chance of liberation from samsara by being reborn as a human.

In terms of reality, you may well allow the mantis to live beyond its natural span. It will still die. And I know nothing about what happens to a 'geriatric' mantis: do they suffer dementia or degenerative disease?
    edited October 2005
    I think they give up all forms of Praying and martial arts.

Maybe they take up Tai Chi in their old age.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Yes, I have heard that older mantis's suffer from Alzheimers! :)
  • edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I think they give up all forms of Praying and martial arts.

Maybe they take up Tai Chi in their old age.

-bf

Maybe I could teach the mantis some yoga to help her live longer.
    edited October 2005
    Or golf.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    or BINGO!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    I've noticed what a serious and sombre and reverent and dignified tone the posts all adopt once BF joins in.....LMAO!! :lol:
  • edited October 2005
    Yes, he is good for that!!
  • edited October 2005
    What a wonderful thread.

So often am I astounded by the miracles of nature.

But Dolphins surfing on a beach or Dolphins jumping through hoops?

I know which they probably prefer!
  • edited October 2005
    Although we have taken our daughter to the zoo, it makes me and my husband sad everytime we go there and we see all the animals living in such small living quarters. And at our zoo here in the midwest, I can't imagine that the African animals are very happy when winter time comes around! Poor things.
    edited October 2005
    federica wrote:
    I've noticed what a serious and sombre and reverent and dignified tone the posts all adopt once BF joins in.....LMAO!! :lol:

I'm a bad widdo boy...

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    The crazy thing is, that whatever we decide to do in any situation, with the hope or intention of increasing our 'Good' Karma and decreasing/eliminating or cancelling our Bad Karma - will always have a negative effect somewhere along the line.
    The dilemma YogaMama faces is to really establish whether her actions would be right or wrong, but whatever you do, Y/M, something "negative" is going to result....
    If I may further illustrate the point...

Let us, for arguments' sake, say that a vast sector of the population of America decides to stop eating meat. They all become vegetarian in order to spare all these animals being slaughtered.Commendable. However, in one fell swoop, they've just put the livelihood of several thousand beef farmers in jeopardy... leave aside a moment whether their 'Work' is 'Right'.... the 'Good Karmic Intentions of all these people has affected someone else negatively.

When someone is patently, obviously going against the Eightfold Path, things are viewed clearly, and the Rights and Wrongs are plain for all to see. But when we are implementing the 8F.Path as much as we can, even then, there is the risk that someone, somewhere along the line is going to get a smack round the fate-chops with a wet kipper.
    It's all very well thinking about Cause and Effect, but it CAN drive you bonkers....

However, Naturalists everywhere have learned from past mistakes of 'tampering' or 'interfering' with Nature. There have been documented instances where scientists and researchers out in the field have consciously acted to affect animal behaviour in order to examine it more closely, with disastrous results....

Yogamama, leave the Mantis in the Garden.... there will be other Natural and miraculous delights for you and your family to enjoy.... the Turning of the Seasons is true for all of us.... the few months' lifespan of this Mantis is the same for IT as yours is for you....

BF...widdo boy needs his widdo knuckles rapped with a limp banana.....!!
    edited October 2005
    We do have to let go of the notions of "good" and "bad" karma.
    edited October 2005
    .....'And always let your conscience be your guide!!" Sing with me everybody....!!
  • edited October 2005
    Thank you for your post, fede! You make some good points. The Mantis is being left in the garden. I hope the little eggs she left behind stick around in our garden next year! :)
  • edited October 2005
    How beautiful that you are teaching your child respect for all life forms and that you have the same. As a Nichiren Buddhist, what I do is chant for them to be born human to a family that chants Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, so that they can attain enlightenment. Since all things, sentient and insentient have the Buddha Nature, I think this is the best I can do for everything.
  • edited October 2005
    Here's a little update on our Praying Mantis....well, we can't find her anymore, so we are assuming she has passed away. :( It's sad, but we definitely gave her a good home and we are looking forward to her eggs hatching next Spring. And all of our spiders from our garden are no longer eating, so we are assuming that their time with us is short as well. Our backyard just seems so "lifeless" now that Fall is here.
  • edited October 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Here's a little update on our Praying Mantis....well, we can't find her anymore, so we are assuming she has passed away. :( It's sad, but we definitely gave her a good home and we are looking forward to her eggs hatching next Spring.

Just try to remember how lucky you were to know her - if even for a short time!

If you look carefully you will see her in your daughter's eyes...

:bigclap:

Ohm Mahni Padme Hum

Dave
    edited October 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Here's a little update on our Praying Mantis....well, we can't find her anymore, so we are assuming she has passed away. :( It's sad, but we definitely gave her a good home and we are looking forward to her eggs hatching next Spring. And all of our spiders from our garden are no longer eating, so we are assuming that their time with us is short as well. Our backyard just seems so "lifeless" now that Fall is here.

A very simple lesson in truth Buddhism...

All things will pass. All that is living will die. Dying is a part of living.

How wonderful it would be, when I die, to be able to look back upon my life and see that there was much more of an abundance of good from my being here than bad. That people will be able to remember my time here and have it bring them joy. That I can live on through the memories and love of my child and loved ones.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Indeed, it was a good lesson in Buddhism for me. Speaking of death...just yesterday when I went for a walk on my lunch hour, I walked past a cemetary and saw some people buried right next to some trees. I thought that was an excellent idea! When I got home, I told my husband that I want to be buried right next to a nice, big tree when I die. He then informed me that there are some places that will bury you in a cotton bag so that you can feed the tree! I thought that was so cool, and told him that is definitely what I wanted.

On another note...I only "know" you on here, buddhafoot, but I am quite sure that you have brought a lot of joy to many people's lives. And from the way you talk about your son, I am quite sure he knows just how much you love him! :)
  • edited October 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Indeed, it was a good lesson in Buddhism for me. Speaking of death...just yesterday when I went for a walk on my lunch hour, I walked past a cemetary and saw some people buried right next to some trees. I thought that was an excellent idea! When I got home, I told my husband that I want to be buried right next to a nice, big tree when I die. He then informed me that there are some places that will bury you in a cotton bag so that you can feed the tree! I thought that was so cool, and told him that is definitely what I wanted.

Have you ever heard of sky burials?
    edited October 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    On another note...I only "know" you on here, buddhafoot, but I am quite sure that you have brought a lot of joy to many people's lives. And from the way you talk about your son, I am quite sure he knows just how much you love him! :)

I hope so. After re-reading this, it sounded like there was a lot of "self" that I was stating - "I would like this to be" or "I would like this to happen". I don't know if I'm placing too much importance on what I would like - maybe I should have stated that it is a pleasant thing to think that my "actions" have brought happiness, love and compassion to those still living.

Thanks, YM. That was nice.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Have you ever heard of sky burials?

No, what is it??
  • edited October 2005
    You are welcome, bf. See??? I can be nice sometimes! :)
    edited October 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    You are welcome, bf. See??? I can be nice sometimes! :)

I know you can be nice - just took me a couple of posts to realize you recognized that 99% of what I say is really just a bunch of BS and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Now that I know we're on the same page - I don't savagely cut up pumpkin heads thinking about you!

-bf
    edited October 2005
    Taking BS with a pinch of salt? And mix in a metaphor blender, I presume. LOL
    edited October 2005
    Taking BS with a pinch of salt? And mix in a metaphor blender, I presume. LOL

My girlfriend finds that putting this mixture of me in a blender and adding a couple shots of tequila makes it easier for her to deal with me.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    No, what is it??

They are the way in which compassionate Tibetans chose (I'm not sure if the Chinese Liberators allow this practice to continue) to be buried.

In a sky burial the deceased is wrapped in white cloth and embalmed in some way. After that they are chopped into managable pieces on a altar at a high point.

The pieces of the body are then taken by the scavenger birds and such - who appreciate the gift of such a bountiful meal in the barren lands on the roof of the world.

I read about it in XinRan's book, unsurprisingly titled, 'Sky Burial' - her second book after the bestseller 'The Good Women of China' (which is fanatastic).

I'm sure many of you are shuddering at the reality of such a burial but I find it touching in it's considerate nature.

:o
    edited October 2005
    We approached Bristol Zoo when Chris was dying to try and arrange sky burials for us both. For some reason, they refused.

In the US, it could be argued that it is a part of one's religion and, thus, a right under the Constitution - but I doubt it.
  • edited October 2005
    That is very interesting, BSF. I like that idea as well, but for some reason, me "feeding" a tree appeals to me a lot more than that. I guess I would rather become part of a tree than part of a bird! :)
  • edited October 2005
    We approached Bristol Zoo when Chris was dying to try and arrange sky burials for us both. For some reason, they refused.

In the US, it could be argued that it is a part of one's religion and, thus, a right under the Constitution - but I doubt it.

Simon, Here is the Us. SOme of the plains indians and those of the pacific northwest did sky burials. Although I don't think they are allowed to anymore, But if you would like I can ask around.

Hawk
  • edited October 2005
    How beautiful that some of you want to allow nature to complete the cycle at the time of your deaths. I have always been confused about the need to bury in containers which in effect prevents our physical manifestation from completing the cycle as our spiritual self does. I'm thinking of an anatomical donation to one of the medical schools with a stipulation for cremation and scattering.
    edited October 2005
    Sounds like something I would like to do as well.