Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Something new!

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited October 2005 in General Banter
I saw this little guy in the store about a month ago and really liked it.

So I went and bought it.

Bad picture, but I have a nice place for him in my home.

-bf

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Cool! What is that, sandstone?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    It's terra cota (sp?) as a base and then sand blown and adhered to it somehow.

It's very gentle and fragile "looking" but very sturdy and very peaceful looking.

Going on my hearth.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    That's really delightful... and it's just as I imagine you.....:D
    edited October 2005
    federica wrote:
    That's really delightful... and it's just as I imagine you.....:D

My darling and dearest, Fede.

You are correct. That is just like me....

sneaking up on someone else meditating to sneakily take their picture....

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    This is the first buddha statue that we bought. It was, I learned later, called a "Weeping buddha" but I've always thought he was laughing!

WBuddhamk2.jpg
    edited October 2005
    That's cool looking, Simon.

I actually couldn't tell what he was doing to be honest.

The picture I posted is not of a buddha - just a neophyte shaolin monk learning to meditate.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    BF - I love it! Simon, yours is very neat as well. Both very beautiful. Here is the picture of the one I asked for from my hubby. It is going to go in my garden:
    edited October 2005
    Very nice, YodaMama.

But does one have to be double-jointed to meditate? Or what that just one of the "fringe benefits" of Siddartha's awakening? I mean, how does that dude get his feet turned completely upside down like that!?!?!

I like the detail of the lotus he's sitting on and the imagery on his palms.

Although - I don't know what that imagery is all about...

I mean, my band picked the name buddhafoot and then at a later date (by googling on it to make sure there wasn't another band by the same name) saw that there is the same type of "icons" or images placed on Buddha's foot.

Anyway know what that means?

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    "I have heard it said"... The original Buddha came from India, so they are his extra Chakras - vortices of shining energy, prevalent in Indian Ayurvedic and Yogic tradition - all aligned to his supreme existence and harmonious and co-ordinated main Seven Chakras which lie on the vertical central inner plane of his body.... We can see them as a visual symbolic indication of his Inner Perfect nature;
    Others may have different explanations, but "Thus have I heard".....
  • edited October 2005
    Ummm...I can "almost" sit like that when meditating. My legs don't look quite as perfect as his, but I can get both feet up there and sit like that for a bit.

Sorry - I don't know anything about the icons placed on Buddha's foot, but I would like to know more.
    edited October 2005
    I read somewhere a legend about what appear to be curls on the Buddha's head: that they really snails which climbed up on his head while he was meditating! I love it as a story.
    edited October 2005
    federica wrote:
    "I have heard it said"... The original Buddha came from India, so they are his extra Chakras - vortices of shining energy, prevalent in Indian Ayurvedic and Yogic tradition - all aligned to his supreme existence and harmonious and co-ordinated main Seven Chakras which lie on the vertical central inner plane of his body.... We can see them as a visual symbolic indication of his Inner Perfect nature;
    Others may have different explanations, but "Thus have I heard".....

That's a good explanation, Fede. Much better than what Brian and YodaMama were trying to tell me...

"oh it's something a litle chamomile lotion should take care of..." says, they.

Chamomile lotion my foot!

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    I never said that!
    edited October 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    I never said that!

I know.

I'm such a stinker.

Hey!, anyone notice we got our avatars bbbbbbbbback!?!

-bf

p.s. YM really did say that!
  • edited October 2005
    Yes - I just noticed our avatars are back. I copied your idea and changed mine to match the statue that I want.

I told you to rub callendula on your feet, not camomile.
    edited October 2005
    I read somewhere a legend about what appear to be curls on the Buddha's head: that they really snails which climbed up on his head while he was meditating! I love it as a story.

Again "I have heard it said"... the tribe or clan Shakyamuni came from had thick curly hair, almost 'negroid' hence his wide face and often large-lipped appearance, also.... the reason he appears to have a bump on his head, is that this is his topmost Chakra, and such is his state of perfect Bliss and Enlightenment, that it has swollen and grown to show his Spiritual/Mental purity and 'largesse'.....

When Nick bought me my Big Buddha from the antiques fair, the seller was trying to tell me all kinds of weird things, like why his ears were so big ("heets ze jouloory") which is a pile of beaux locks....! I spent half an hour correcting is misconceptions, and explaining why the fat Buddha is fat, and why the ears are in fact so big.... I didn't realise I'd drawn a crowd.... I ended up with quite an audience!
    edited October 2005
    federica wrote:
    I spent half an hour correcting is misconceptions, and explaining why the fat Buddha is fat, and why the ears are in fact so big.... I didn't realise I'd drawn a crowd.... I ended up with quite an audience!

Nick... you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'...?

-bf
    edited October 2005
    I'm gonna get in trouble for that one, I just know it...

-bf
    edited October 2005
    federica wrote:
    Again "I have heard it said"... the tribe or clan Shakyamuni came from had thick curly hair, almost 'negroid' hence his wide face and often large-lipped appearance, also.... the reason he appears to have a bump on his head, is that this is his topmost Chakra, and such is his state of perfect Bliss and Enlightenment, that it has swollen and grown to show his Spiritual/Mental purity and 'largesse'.....

Another explanation of the topknot is that it comes to us from the first representations of the Shakyamuni Buddha, in Gandara, and that the first sculptors were Hellenic. They added the topknot of Phoebus Apollo, giving the Buddha an Westward influence.
    edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I'm gonna get in trouble for that one, I just know it...

-bf

Oooooooh, You are sooooooooo right.... I can't wait to get into your posts and to start editing.... WEG!!:grr:
    edited October 2005
    federica wrote:
    Oooooooh, You are sooooooooo right.... I can't wait to get into your posts and to start editing.... WEG!!:grr:

Oh... c'mon now. I thought the three of us were all good buddies!

And even though he might not admit it with you sitting next to him - I bet Nick was laughing on the inside. Karate man always laughs on the inside.

I just hope no one was "religiously" offended - other than that - I chuckle every time I see that picture. :)

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    And even though he might not admit it with you sitting next to him - I bet Nick was laughing on the inside. Karate man always laughs on the inside.

I wish it was that easy...still trying to find the off Button :thumbsup: :lol:
    edited October 2005
    Good one.

I won't say anything if you don't. Maybe she won't see your post.

Couch gets cold at night...

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:

Couch gets cold at night...

-bf

For some reason, I believe that you have had a lot of experience with "sleeping on the couch". :)
    edited October 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    For some reason, I believe that you have had a lot of experience with "sleeping on the couch". :)

Oddly enough....no! I'm a firm believer that if you can't go to bed together because of a problem - then it isn't time to go to bed yet. I don't believe in either partner ever being in the "doghouse" - and if they're too angry to go to bed - they can sleep on the couch!

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    My dear hubby and I have that "rule" as well. It's a good rule to have!
    edited October 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    My dear hubby and I have that "rule" as well. It's a good rule to have!

Hey! Cool!

I think it's just childish to do things like this. I mean, we spend all this other time doing grown up things in the same bed - why isn't finding a resolution to a difficult situation part of bedroom behavior? Maybe a resolution won't be found that either people are completely happy with - or that you might not be happy with a situation - but kicking someone out of the bed!??! Nooooooo...

I spent too many years dealing with childish behavior to continue allowing it.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Oddly enough....no! I'm a firm believer that if you can't go to bed together because of a problem - then it isn't time to go to bed yet. I don't believe in either partner ever being in the "doghouse" - and if they're too angry to go to bed - they can sleep on the couch!

-bf

I agree. My late husband and I had that same rule.:bigclap:

Adiana:mullet: :wavey: