Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Could you help me Brian?

edited December 2004 in Faith & Religion
iv grown up in somewhat of a christian home (well neither one of my parents went to church but as a kid i was taught that going to church was a good thing) but here recently i have just lost it all for church... what im trying to say is that the more iv learned about the bible the less i believe in it because 90% of the stuff in it contridicts everything else and i just dont feel anything when i go... its just like going to the grocery store or whatever,just nothign..

what im asking for is just a somewhat short summery of the buddist way of life. i know nothign about it but the very very little iv read and would like to find out what its all about.
im not saying i dont believe in "god" but i think 2000 or so years has had a bad effect on the bible and would like to put forth an effort to believe in something worthwild.

btw im a short-median if you havent already figured it out yet (sorry about that one link i posted :P )

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited December 2004
    Let's see. A day in the life of a typical american buddhist:

Wake up 7:00 am, make breakfast for kids, make school lunches for kids, get kids off to school.

In work by 9:00 am

Lunch at around 11:30

Home by 5:30, eat dinner with wife and kids, do the dishes, kiss the wife as she goes to work at 6:30

6:30 - 8:30 general screwing around, playing with kids, do some laundry, put the dishes away.

8:30 - 12:30am play video games, hang out on forums, IM, screw around.

12:30 am wife comes home from work, talk for an hour or two, get to bed by 2:30am.

Repeat.

:D

Really, there is nothing extraordinary about a normal buddhist layman's life.

However, one major difference from my "pre-buddhist" days is that now I try to do everything mindfully. I try to be aware of every breath, I try to appreciate every moment, I try to be fully aware and involved in every single activity, from the menial ones like putting the dishes away to the complex ones, like discussing homework with my son. That is all you really need to do to start "being" a buddhist.

It is a hard exercise, especially growing up as an american kid like I did, raised on TV and cartoons and MTV, with the super-short attention span that goes with all that.

I would suggest, just as a small, brief, but really good intro to basic buddhist practices, reading a book called "The Miracle of Mindfulness" by Thich Nhat Hanh (pronounced TEEK-Not-Han - han like han solo).

There are also a lot of good threads in this forum about basic buddhist practices. Take a look at the Buddhism 101 and American Buddhist forums. There aren't too many threads yet, so if you spend about 20-30 minutes you'll be able to catch up on all of them.

Welcome to the site :)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2004
    Hey AD. Check out this thread too: http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11
  • edited December 2004
    Thanks guys, I'm in the process of looking into this. this seems very appealing to me so far. almost what iv been searching for this whole time.