Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

List of buddhist meditations?

edited November 2010 in Meditation
Basically I only know mindfulness of breathing and metta bavanha meditations, and they've had a really positive effect on my life in the 2 years I've been practicing them. I know there are a lot more but I couldn't find a complete list anywhere - even on accesstoinsight. I'm very interested to learn about other meditations and what their aims are.

One's I've heard of so far:

Mindfulness of breathing - helped me a lot!

Metta-bavanha (x 4 - Lovingkindness, Compassion, Empathetic Joy,
Equaninimty) - empathetic joy my favorite feeling ever, when it goes "right"!

Death meditation - don't know too much about this

Six elements meditation - don't know too much about this.

Ton glen - just know a bit about this from Pema Chodron, I don't feel its immediate effect when I do it yet, but I feel its something to get into a habit with.

Also if anyone has experience with non-buddhist meditations like Hindu, Yoga, Taoist, Bon meditations, that have been helpful in your life I'd be very interested to hear about those too.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Mantra chanting meditation - lots of different mantras from various traditions
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Self-inquiry, practiced in Zen/Ch'an (e.g. Ch'an Master Hsu Yun's teachings) as well as Hindu Advaita Vedanta (e.g. Ramana Maharshi).

Asking yourself, 'Who am I'? 'Before birth, who am I?' and other derivatives (the focus is on 'Who').

From personal experience, a direct path to self-realization, a direct glimpse of your true essence.

I wrote about it in a self-inquiry e-book: http://www.box.net/shared/3verpiao63
  • edited September 2010
    Never really understood how mantra meditation works. Have you found it helpful Engyo?

and Xabir, I'll be sure to have a read of your book after I hand in my dissertation is in next week!

what benefits do you find it has on your life??
  • edited September 2010
    As a Nichiren Buddhist, mantra recitation is our primary form of meditation. Yes, I find it helpful. Early on, when I was younger I would have found it very difficult to just sit, but chanting gave me a focus for my nervous energy. Chanting a mantra (especially in a group) will pretty much automatically regulate your breathing, as well.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited September 2010
    and Xabir, I'll be sure to have a read of your book after I hand in my dissertation is in next week!

what benefits do you find it has on your life??
    A sense of certainty of my essence. A seeing through of false notions of self. More peace, bliss, clarity in direct realization of my essence.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Would love to hear more...