Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and poverty?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited September 2010 in Buddhism Basics
How would Buddhism apply to a person who has a disease, who is in severe physical pain, who doesn't have food to eat or water to drink etc.? Are these things also something that can be completely turned upside down just because of our viewpoint?

It's understandable how our mind creates our reality. If we create distinctions between things we suffer. However, viewing our experiences mindfully and thus connecting with what actually is.. it's manageable.

Buddhism has brought positive changes to my life -- but this was manageable since I had my basic necessities taken care of. I just want to know how it's possible to still have 'inner peace' when undergoing miserable situations like the 2 billion people who live in absolute poverty around the globe. Sure it's great for me but what about them? How can I help them? How can Buddhist practice help them?

Thank you so much. :)

Comments

• edited September 2010
    when we do zazen and when we seriously at least try to integrate buddhist values into day to day, this affects the entire way we relate to the world, done sucessfully, this results in more peace, understanding, wisdom, creativity, kindness, which i am sure reaches across the whole world, even if only a teency bit... so that's how i say buddhist practice can help those in desperate need. but also just simply taking action, which is thoroughly buddhist, and maybe participating in something for example like habitat for humanity. simply spreading good vibes in your community is good for the entire world, and this is the bare minimum.
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    edited September 2010
    I am seeing this as a variation of my thinking which I posted as SOCIAL APPLICATIONS OF BUDDHISM.

Poverty,in my opinion is more a political phenomenon than economic. While technology has made great strides in improving production, distribution and flow of money, it is politics which is working-unfortunately more successfully- in the opposite direction. Hence the wide gulf between havs and hav-nots.

Other social ills like racism, enthnic conflicts, and war are also man made. I think Buddhism can provide a solution if it can influence the thinking of the politicians.

But the paradox is that early Buddhism became extinct in India precisely because of lack of political support. Can buddhism get a lift from its own shoe strings?
  • edited September 2010
    Engaged Buddhism
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engaged_Buddhism
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2010
    ravkes wrote: »
    How would Buddhism apply to a person who has a disease, who is in severe physical pain, who doesn't have food to eat or water to drink etc.? Are these things also something that can be completely turned upside down just because of our viewpoint?

It's understandable how our mind creates our reality. If we create distinctions between things we suffer. However, viewing our experiences mindfully and thus connecting with what actually is.. it's manageable.

Buddhism has brought positive changes to my life -- but this was manageable since I had my basic necessities taken care of. I just want to know how it's possible to still have 'inner peace' when undergoing miserable situations like the 2 billion people who live in absolute poverty around the globe. Sure it's great for me but what about them? How can I help them? How can Buddhist practice help them?

Thank you so much. :)

There are just so many aspects to this, Ravkes:

First of all, there is the question of making the Dharma a reality in our own lives and, by so doing, demonstrate that, by our practice, we manifest the Third Noble Truth. The possibility of "inner peace" becomes an authentic reality.

At the same time, our awareness of the depths of others' pain sharpens. Our own liberation ceases to be enough, particularly when we begin to understand "interbeing" and, as a result, our own inner peace cannot be complete -as you are experiencing - while so many are still suffering.

The result needs to be that we study to serve each other, even though we realise at the same time that we shall not eliminate dukkha. My own experience suggests that a regular practice is needed in order to confront the pessimism that can so easily arise from that understanding.