Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Practice slipping away...

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
edited September 2010 in Meditation
This is really a two-part question. Firstly, I've been having a great deal of trouble getting myself to meditate in a steady, continuous way. I still meditate on the spur of the moment, when I need to steady myself, but I don't have a consistent practice any more. This is in spite of clearly perceiving the benefits in myself and the way I relate to others and the world. So the question is why do I make excuses and avoid (or just outright forget) such a beneficial practice?

The second part relates how to change this problem. The usual suggestion is to make meditation a daily habit. I've tried getting around this by setting my alarm clock a half an hour early, but I find that I'm so groggy first thing in the morning that I just smack the snooze button in a sleepy haze. I have an atypical work schedule, running from 6 AM - 2 PM Saturday thru Wednesday. I'm grateful to have a job in this economy, but getting up at 4:15 AM to meditate is not easy. So if anyone has some suggestions for achieving a consistent practice, I'd appreciate the input.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Hi Nazakid,

Firstly its ok to just do short sessions of 10 to 15 minutes to begin with. Secondly there's no rule that says you have to meditate first thing in the morning !

Nothing to stop you meditating after getting home from work and maybe having a bath or shower and freshening up a little first....or perhaps in the evening.

Its also good if you can regard it as something beneficial to look forward to in a light hearted way. :)

With kind wishes,

Dazzle

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    nakazcid wrote: »
    This is really a two-part question. Firstly, I've been having a great deal of trouble getting myself to meditate in a steady, continuous way. I still meditate on the spur of the moment, when I need to steady myself, but I don't have a consistent practice any more. This is in spite of clearly perceiving the benefits in myself and the way I relate to others and the world. So the question is why do I make excuses and avoid (or just outright forget) such a beneficial practice?

The second part relates how to change this problem. The usual suggestion is to make meditation a daily habit. I've tried getting around this by setting my alarm clock a half an hour early, but I find that I'm so groggy first thing in the morning that I just smack the snooze button in a sleepy haze. I have an atypical work schedule, running from 6 AM - 2 PM Saturday thru Wednesday. I'm grateful to have a job in this economy, but getting up at 4:15 AM to meditate is not easy. So if anyone has some suggestions for achieving a consistent practice, I'd appreciate the input.

tree-shade.jpg

gassho2.jpg

Have you tried setting up an alter? Perhaps this may inspire you somewhat as well, reminders help us all.

Well wishes, friend.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I have an alter and it has I can say that it has been a good motivation.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Its hard to work on future benefics...its better if you focus in what your meditation does only in 1 day, or how your morning becomes much better instead of longterm results
  • edited September 2010
    meditate for only a few minutes in the morning. and don´t think about stuff, just relax the body and mind with each in breath and with each out breath. You will not be able to not think at all, but relaxing the mind and body little by little for a few minutes will benefit you.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010

Training in meditation on the cushion is only part of the practise :)
    We train on the cushion to that we may be more mindful of our trainings when off. So when not on the cushion you should be mindful of holding correct paths and remembering your trainings, So when you finally do get to sit your meditation will be very productive as your objects of focus are constantly with you. :)

Oh and remember death and rebirth as well these I find are excellent motivators :)
  • edited September 2010
    Have you tried just taking some time and sitting outside in a quiet place? When I first started meditating years ago that is what I did. Then I made my alter and meditated there as well because it was paceful.

Trying going to a meditation training at your temple, that is if you attend temple. I know some people who have gotten into the habbit that way. Another way is during the day just take like 5-10 minutes of your time and just clear your mind and meditate. That might motivate you to want to do it everyday.

Just some suggestions :)
  • edited September 2010

I think maybe you haven't really gotten some joy and peace from your meditation practice. That is why you find it hard to motivate yourself. Meditating for long time is not important. It is more important to have quality and the feeling of not having pushed too hard or forced your mind too hard. Joy and peace is not the goal of meditation but rather is some of its by-products. But it is important to experience these factors to have a sense of appreciation of your practice and also as a fuel for further perseverance.

From your time-schedule and what little i can glean of your lifestyle... you can practice when you come home instead of waking up so early. Come home, if you are tired, have a short lie-down, close your eyes, let go of thoughts, feel mindful of your body and its sensations... half an hour... that is also practice you know... and top quality kind of practice because you also enjoy relaxing after your job. After that you can go do your other house-work, and later sit up and do a formal session... can be short like 20-30 minutes...

During your job, you can take short moments, and even longer, depending on your job nature, to be mindful of your present moment, body, sensations, thoughts, feelings or your breath... just bring mindfulness into your very existence and life... that is the spirit of meditation.

I know people who reached quite deep realisation without much formal meditation but by bringing mindfulness to their daily life. You can try too... but the fact is mindfulness in daily life is much more demanding and thorough than formal meditation and then forgetting it after that...:p

There is a book by Amy Schmidt called "Dipa Ma : The Life and Legacy of a Buddhist Master". How this female house-holder managed to reached deep realisation by practising even in her daily chores... and taught many other householders to do so... it may inspire your practice.

Whatever the case, don't push your mind and body very hard and be expecting about results... i think you must respect the wisdom of your own body and mind... work with them, don't just command them like a slave... if you befriend and work with them, they will help you on your path very much too... in all things, slow and steady wins the race. :)