Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Church

edited October 2005 in Faith & Religion
Is it ok to enjoy going to church and hearing the sermons..and still having the buddhist mind?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    IMHO, yes!
  • edited October 2005
    I agree, listening to a well spoken sermon can be most invigorating, it also allows one to have a balanced perspective. However good orators are becoming increasingly rare IMO
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Anita wrote:
    Is it ok to enjoy going to church and hearing the sermons..and still having the buddhist mind?

What makes you think it wouldn't be OK? Do you feel guilt at listening to a Christian Sermon, whilst being a 'practising' Buddhist?
    Put that out of your mind. His Holiness the Dalai Lama is a keen student of Christianity - in order to know more on the subject and to understand Christian concepts - and had written an excellent couple of books specifically on the links between Buddhism and Christianity, and how to maintain harmony.
    Go right ahead; enjoy what you hear, profit from it and know, we're all Buddha-Nature, and we all have Christ Within Us. ;)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Well, since Abe and Freddie and Simon ALL HAD TO JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON - I'll throw in my $0.02 worth...

No... it's not okay. You'll offend Jeez Cripes, Gosh and go to Hell.

-bf
    edited October 2005
    You only say that, BF, 'cos you hope you won't be lonely there!
    edited October 2005
    You only say that, BF, 'cos you hope you won't be lonely there!

Dude, if there is a Hell? I'm gonna be the bus driver. I've probably got Box Seats too!

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Dude, if there is a Hell? I'm gonna be the bus driver. I've probably got Box Seats too!

-bf

Ding Ding! Hold very tight please!!
  • edited October 2005
    Well, I never really felt like it wasn't ok, but I mean when you go to church you pray and sing songs about believing....
    Here lately I'm been in the mood to go to church...and listen to my preacher. I love him, he's not the type of preacher that beats your head " YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN GOD!"
    He relates life with the bible. And I like that. I don't think its wrong...and yes I felt a little akward...
    I was just wondering...my heart is a little torn right now..
    edited October 2005
    Anita wrote:
    Well, I never really felt like it wasn't ok, but I mean when you go to church you pray and sing songs about believing....
    Here lately I'm been in the mood to go to church...and listen to my preacher. I love him, he's not the type of preacher that beats your head " YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN GOD!"
    He relates life with the bible. And I like that. I don't think its wrong...and yes I felt a little akward...
    I was just wondering...my heart is a little torn right now..

I thought I had an answer for you - but I don't.

Some people would say that a Christian church is a place of learning - but others might say it's a place of fellowship, worship and like minds coming together in Christ. So... this could be a problem depending on the mindset.

If there is any "Christ" in the church you are going to - I don't think it's wrong for you to attend at all. I also think it's an opportunity for you to speak with their leader ( I like that... "leader".... TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER. ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!) and tell them about your Buddhist beliefs and what you are going through right now.
    If they have any sense - they will do like the Apostle Paul and "reason with one another". I never read where Christ beat the crap out of people not believing him.

In fact, it seems that Christ had the most difficult time with the self-righteous Pharisees and Sadducees.

It is taught that Christ was also put here for ALL people. Not just the Jews which had been living for centuries with a special connection to God that no one else had. With the coming of Christ, all non-Jews (Gentiles) also had the privilage to believe in and follow Christ.

-bf
    edited October 2005
    Do have a look at the links I posted. Anita. I think you'll find them useful.