Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

outdoorsey flow

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited September 2010 in Meditation
Sa was dee sangha :)

I was curious to know if anybody has ever meditated outside by themselves or with people? If so where exactly did you embark on this meditation session, why and how did it go?

Tom

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Sa was dee sangha :)

I was curious to know if anybody has ever meditated outside by themselves or with people? If so where exactly did you embark on this meditation session, why and how did it go?

Tom

I prefer to meditate outside if I can, so I do it whenever I have the time and when the UK weather permits (eg not usually in the winter).

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I am from engaland lol, so I know what you mean. I find it harder personally to meditate outdoors. But, monks and people with a deep understanding and practice I am sure meditate most of the day, walking, sitting whatever.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited September 2010
    For me, and my morning meditation, outdoors is just a bit too noisy. I prefer the quiet of indoors.

That being said, I very much enjoy "listening meditation" outdoors. For this type of meditation, the "noise" is perfect.

Listening meditation: http://www.tricycle.com/web-exclusive/meditation-instruction-listening-meditation
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Yeah your'e right there Tom.For most of the time here in Malaysia its ok,but when the rain comes it really comes.I guess you know what I mean.I see that you are in Hua Hin,so you must get these big storms that come over,dump down for a while then move on.I often do my walking meditation around the Sima,and right outside my kuti is a beautiful sala tree.A nice place to do some sitting meditation.
    edited September 2010
    I have been to maylasia once, it is a very nice and unique country indeed. Yes we get storms during monsoon like the rest of south asia, although here we do not get a lot of them, it rains very heavy now and then, maybe once or twice every 3-4 days, and there is often lightning everywhere without any thunder O.o
    I wanted to go on a self retreat but it being monsoon I have yet to find a place which is dry or where I could build a shelter lol. I might wait for monsoon season to pass then go.

So are you a monk or on retreat or something goingforth?
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I am a monk.So I have lots of time to meditate.At the moment we are getting at least 1 big rain a day.The other night there was a clap of thunder that was so loud it woke me at about 1:00 am.Awesome.
  • edited September 2010
    I've meditated a bit outside. One time a couple people from a community I was staying in went to a cave and did some buddah mantras and om mani's for a retreat the sangha was doing. Lit candles, then climbed to the top of the mountain and laid there, there were bats circling.

When traveling with my tent; it's is too small to sit up inside so I sit in front. There was a time when I liked getting bit by mozzies and watching my reaction, the initial prick, the itch, and the diminishing when you don't itch it. Not that peaceful at the moment!

I find I had the same sort of experience outside as I would inside; distraction, same mind circling endlessly :).
  • edited September 2010
    old buddha meditated outside himself most of the time. that's not how we do it now , indoors, in shkyazoozee zen, we do it both outside in, the uh bodhidharma he did it in a cave, and that's how many zen masters realized their enlightenment. there is something about the outside that is very conducive for our realizatibons.sssadad so you gotta do it both like a tiger or a bear OR A badger or a possum.
    edited September 2010
    Yes I have heard a few times that wisdom comes with being outdoors by oneself. I find it too noisy but that is because I have not tried meditating in the rural areas maybe.. I have been meaning to go on a self retreat like I stated above, 3 days in the mountains close to me but it is still monsoon season so I would either get very wet or swept away in some land slide lol.
  • edited September 2010
    I have a backyard pond that has a waterfall and a koi pond. It's quite nice.
  • edited September 2010
    I love meditating outdoors - it feels much more natural and still than inside. Plus, after a long sit, opening my eyes and just observing the surrounding scenery and feeling the wind, everything is so much sharper and saturated with light and warmth. It could be because when outside, it's that much easier to melt the arbitrary barriers we create for our egos... or heatstroke :P
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Gecko wrote: »
    I love meditating outdoors - it feels much more natural and still than inside. Plus, after a long sit, opening my eyes and just observing the surrounding scenery and feeling the wind, everything is so much sharper and saturated with light and warmth. It could be because when outside, it's that much easier to melt the arbitrary barriers we create for our egos... or heatstroke :P

What, in Australia? Geez, you might get eaten by a snake/shark/spider in the time it takes to meditate.
  • edited September 2010
    Hence the kung fu, mate. Even the laziest slobs round this place have to be tough as your grandma's boots.

You should know that! :P